3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dead in the Woods  (Read 397 times)

Offline traditionalman

• Trad Bowhunter
Dead in the Woods
« on: November 30, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
I was wondering if any of you other bowhunters have had times when the woods is just dead. I have had 4 or 5 times in the last 30 years when there is nothing moving. Not a squirrel, chipmumk, bird, or bug. It is like everything either left the woods or agreed to hide till dark.

I have tried to fiquer out what is going on and can only guess it has something to do with the weather. Most of the time the weather is fair, not too hot or too cold, slight wind, sunny, by all accounts not a bad day. The next day it usually rains or snows and is bad.

I thought game before a storm or right after a storm but on thoes 5 times I remember as I said weather was nice.

Just had one of thoes day yesterday again and it still baffles me as to why and where does all the animals go. I have learn when this happens just go home as staying longer does not produce any change.

As I said there is no movemenet from any animal, birds or bugs on these days.

Any one have any experience like this or I'm I just blessed.
Gary King

Online Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dead in the Woods
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
My son and I have both left the woods discussing the same thing on the way home. It was as if something or someone zapped all the animals from the area. Unfortunately it's happened more times than I like and as you mention nothing to put your finger on.
Never wait too long!

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
Oh yes.  When a large front is moving through or just prior it can get quiet.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline kpete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »
Usage patterns can change in a hurry.  If food and cover are good critters are probably still around.
I remember my first years in Eastern Nebr in the 70's.  There were lots of hunts where no deer were seen.  Now  deer are thick there.
The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever-Isaiah 40:8

Offline SpencerL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 01:14:00 AM »
Usually when it's dead like that, it means I'm moving too much (Still Hunter), but I've also noted it as the calm before the storm with a large cold front.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 01:33:00 AM »
I have had days when there is not even a bid chirping.  

I thought I missed the end of the world or some thing.

It's then time to go home.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 03:26:00 AM »
My experience was that either there was a driven hunt earlier that day or the weather is in for a heavy change.
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline Leon.R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 04:22:00 AM »
I think most times due to a big change in weather.
Could be the big hairy fellow is around and watching....lol
Black Douglas 68#
Wing Gull 60#
Hoyt Havoc 80#
Coupla other wheelies.
If ya gonna be stupid, you better be tough!

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 04:35:00 AM »
If it has only happened 4 or 5 times for you over 30 years you are blessed.

Don't know about the bug movement but nothing from deer, beer, elk or any small game and birds many times.

Yes I would say weather patterns. But I have seen it like that before, after and during fronts. Bluebird days (with no bluebirds) with no approching fronts.Full moon, quarter moon and dark moon.

Or maybe I just stink really bad.

But at least we are still out there and makes for a great napping/scouting day.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 05:00:00 AM »
It's like being in a biological desert.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 05:43:00 AM »
That's why I've almost quit hunting low pressure systems. I call it the morge hunt. Your much better off hunting the high pressure on the way in then low, just my thoughts.

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 06:28:00 AM »
I've experienced it! and you ask yourself;What's goin'on? What am I doin' here? Where's everything?
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
Definetely experienced that scenerio.

I had two solid days in a row of this this past bowseason. In both cases, there was no wind whatsoever and the woods were so silent that it hurt to listen.

I believe that most game know that if they move, they will be heard by preditors.

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »
I've experienced that alot.  Seems usually about 40 degrees, sometimes colder. Don't usually notice a front coming or going though.

I could hunt one day and everything's out, the next day not even the squirrels or birds are moving. Or I've had it where things start moving but very late in the morning..say mid morning vs sunrise.

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 10:35:00 AM »
I worked as a Wilderness Counselor @ an Alternative school and took extended canoe and backpack trips for 5 years.  In all that time I noticed the dead feeling a few times.  

The only one I remember clearly because of that horror movie feeling of dead calm happened in SC on the Edisto River.  Everything went dead, no birds, no animals, no breeze... 20 minutes after the start of the calm we had a fearsome thunderstorm followed immediately by a tornado.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »
I have noticed such things on occassion. It is pretty odd...when not a creature is stirring...not even a....grouse.

Offline Buffalo Two Fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
I have experienced it more in the past few years than ever before. In my case I believe that the area I hunt just does not have much to offer game and non game animals anymore. That along with a brutal Winter two years ago have taken it's toll on the Wildlife. There are many days where I do not see anything living. Perhaps I have become a bad hunter but there is not much in the way of sign anymore. Probably time to find a new area to hunt but I really do enjoy those big mature forests.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bowwild:
I have noticed such things on occassion. It is pretty odd...when not a creature is stirring...not even a....grouse.
Funny you should mention grouse. I have seen grouse perched in trees all day long on these occasions.

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
Happened to me yesterday, downpoured rain all nite until Tues midday then became partly cloudy, snow was predicted for Wed! I decided to go out in the PM for a couple hours to sit one of my stands where I saw a lot of deer in the acorns after the snowstorm last weekend! Not a thing moving not even a chikadee it was about 45 degrees and breezy! Ironically when I have seen the most deer is after the fronts go thru then it seems as though woods are alive with critters especially after a snow event! Snowing as of now about 2 inches on the ground gonna try it again tonite!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
Hunt it the Adirondacks, It's like that most of the time. Some areas that see logging are not as bad ,but the Forever Wild tracts....barren! You would think it was going to storm all the time!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©