3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: really crazy question....  (Read 452 times)

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: really crazy question....
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
Now Rob, I would have thought you would have already tested this theory.    :goldtooth:    I didn't think there was much you haven't tested or researched.
in reality, and as alluded to above, i have no interest in this matter.

i'll leave the formal testing and research to the rocket scientists, and we'll get a bunch chiming in on this thread  ;)  ... i never graduated MIT, but did get decent marks in street smarts.  :D
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »
The heavy nose drops like a rock when I've done it!

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
Superduper broadheads and arrows don`t make up for that ...better shooting does.RC  
I am with you Robert . I have taken a lot of pigs over the years , some rather big and mainly with moderate poundage bows , medium weight arrows and straight limbed bows . Shot placement is forever the key .
I load my arrows up with 200gns up front ... but that is spine and arrow weight consideration with my alloys . My woodies shoot 190's ... again this is to get them up to 10/11gns pp
I did notice that the few carbons i have played with shot very well with high FOC ... as did the arrows woth moderate FOC lol ...
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
RC,  If you have both arrows why not just go out and shoot them to see for yourself?  OH, that wouldn't be as much fun would it.  ;)  

Originally posted by lpcjon2:
A pound of bricks and a pound of feathers are dropped of the Empire State building which lands first?
The brick because a pound of feathers would be a much larger mass with more air resistance.  That is unless we are in a vacuum of the feathers have been super compressed into a density and mass equal to the brick and somehow don't expand or are packed into some other contain thus not being really just a pound of feathers.................

Originally posted by Chris Shelton:
The non-FOC arrow will not fly as smoothly as a FOC arrow.  
That is a generalization.  I have found that not to be true at times.  I found out by shooting paper at all different distances.  I have seen HFOC arrow fly most of 25 yd. 1-2" out of line.  To the eye they look very smooth and wobble free, but they never fully correct over the distance most of us shoot.  They look fine and shoot consistent with good bare shaft POI readings, but being out of line has to cause more drag due to more feather and shaft area exposed.  I have seen a different arrow set-up with basically standard FOC correct quick and stay that way shooting bullet holes 15' to 25 yd.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
It is always fun to discuss the issues like this and yes we should all look to science for an answer.  The same weight of feathers will not hit the ground as fast as the same weight of lead.  That only works in a vaccum.  Resistance over the larger surface area will slow the feathers more than the lead.

If the arrows weigh the same, have the same  surface area, and same fletching sizes the arrows will hit the ground at the same time.  The interesting part of this is that the EFOC arrow will recover from paradox more quickly, giving cleaner flight and less drag.  So I guess the real question may be....wait for it....... will the EFOC arrow fly further in the same time of travel when fired at the same speed as the non EFOC arrow?  I have noticed that an arrow with a lighter head at the same weight has a higher arc to it's trajectory to hit the same point of impact.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
Told ya`ll it was a crazy question...but an interesting one.RC

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
If they weigh the same they will hit the ground at the same time.
X2
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by RC:

not being a smart axx but I have killed over 100 deer and more than twice that in pigs. I have never had any penetration issue and I have always shot under 60 lbs usually around 50. I can`t understand all the issue on penetration. Of course I`ve never hunted elk or cape buffalo but I have killed some BIG Boars.I think the reality of it is sometimes we hit shoulder blade and we just plain out made a bad shot. Superduper broadheads and arrows don`t make up for that ...better shooting does.RC
I couldn't possibly agree more!

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
Ballistic co-efficiency is important with arrows just as it is with bullets. The arrow with the best ballistic co-efficiency will travel the furthest even though they are the same weight. For instance you could have one arrow with a shield cut and one with flu flus and both shot from same bow and both weigh exactly the same the Shield cut arrow has less drag and will go further. There is more resistance to the air. I believe that the balance of the arrow would definately enter into the ballistic propertys of the arrow.

God bless and Merry Christmas to you all, Steve

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
An Addendum here. Even though the two arrows hit the ground at the same time , one of them will hit it much , much further away from the point of origon than the other one.

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
Guru, just to back up what you said about the arrows with a lite head hitting higher at short distance. I went out today after my post last night. I shot my wood arrows at 550 grains with 125 grains up front and 3-5" feathers. And my carbons of the same weight and feathers but with 175 grain point and 50 grain insert up front for 225 grains up front. From 20 yds my woods hit about 4-5 inches higher than the carbons. From 25 yds it was about almost the same. when I moved to 30 yds it was about a foot of difference.

What I did notice was when the wind would gust the arrow that was heavy up front would get a fish tail type of action going, on the way to the target. The arrow with the 125 grains up front would drift just a little but the flight did not fish tail. I would not say I saw a nose dive but the trajectory was different.
USMC 82-86

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
Working for "Budweiser" here in Pa. I had a guy ask me once, does a 1/2 of Bud weigh as much as a 1/2 of Bud Light .............

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
RC,
PM me if you are interested in my findings past 30 yards.  It was done with a compound so I don't think that I should post it here.  I used the compound because I cant group a trad bow well enough past 30 to know if the arrow's shooting high or low or if it's just me.

With a trad bow, 30 yards and under, I have found no difference in impact point between two well tuned arrows of the same total weight.  I've gone with tip weights from 100 gr all the way to 300 gr upfront.  I've even bareshafted with the same results (if anything would dive I would think the bareshaft would).  Keep in mind that these are my informal results.  

After trying all of this, I've found that a 200gr tip plus my standard insert and sleeve(227gr upfront) performs the best for my set up.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
Thanks S2, I have a bunch of each arrow and I`m gonna shoot stuff with each till I run out then buy some more God Willing. I was just sitting by the fire trying to stir some friendly conversation on an interesting subject...it worked.Thanks for your input guys.RC

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
I believe the arrow with the much higher FOC will have a flatter trajectory. The higher FOC arrow will correct itself quicker,thus wasting less energy. Don't believe you will notice the difference until they are well down range.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by AdamH:
Working for "Budweiser" here in Pa. I had a guy ask me once, does a 1/2 of Bud weigh as much as a 1/2 of Bud Light .............
And?  :dunno:
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2010, 06:33:00 AM »
The higher alcohol content Bud would be lighter... alcohol has a lower specific gravity than water.

RC, is there nothing to hunt in GA now?    :)
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
What FOC do they shoot out of Olympic bows out to 70 meters or more in competition? I see alot of their target points are rated in FOC (7%-9%)They couldnt care less about penetration just perfect arrow flight. Much money and science has been thown at target archery at that level so they pretty much have tried all combinations and are going to use the best one. For a hunting arrow at real hunting distances I dont think it matters all that much.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
Cabin fever has hit early. I'm going back to the woods.  :bigsmyl:
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©