3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can you pull off this shot?  (Read 755 times)

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can you pull off this shot?
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mark Baker:
Or a badly hit deer.  My experience is that if they are looking at you, it ain't good.  Better to wait till they are distracted or turn to leave, and you can get away with the movement of drawing and shooting.  Best is to shoot at a deer totally unawares.
I totally agree with Mark.

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »
Let it walk. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
Hard to answer for me,it's how it feels to me. If it feels right when I draw I shoot if not I let down.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
If the deer is head bobbing and checking you out it knows there's a problem and where the problem is.  That's a lot different than just an alert deer that caught some movement or perhaps caught a whiff but doesn't yet quite know where the problem is.  Very rarely will you get a shot from a tree stand that ends well on a deer that's alert and knows where you are.  Most of the time I just hope it moves off without circling around to get my wind.  A deer like that is just waiting to confirm what it already knows.... Unless... it gives you the tail flick.  If a deer gives you the tail flick and goes back to feeding you will usually see it's shoulders relax too which means all is ok.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
I took a 10 yd shot last xmas and he (old 5x4) ducked. Three inches over his back dead on line for a heart shot. He walked away unspooked and totally unaware of me. Fast forward to this year and tripod hunting. Every doe I tried to shoot saw me, got twitchy and walked. Many walked. I took a 51 yard shot at a buck who ducked and rolled. Missed big time.

Never force a shot. Just enjoy being close to them.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
Oh yeah.......been there, done that.
Wait em out, or like Bjorn said just go ahead and wave your arms to shoo them away. Get it over with and get back to hunting after the racket subsides.   :wavey:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
That is what you carry small rocks in your pocket for ,about the size of acorns ,You flick it off with your thumb over and beyond the deer ,When and if the deer becomes distracted with it you draw !

Does it work ? Yes sometimes,Sometimes not .But I have found that often little things drop in the forest,And it's a natural sound ,They're curious about it and most of the time they don't spook or stump off.

Other than that you wait and fall into the trap of the stare down !

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©