3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: clear glass blems (pics)  (Read 349 times)

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
clear glass blems (pics)
« on: May 30, 2007, 09:52:00 PM »
Heres the spots and streaks talked about in the other thread

I'm gonna try something,I'll let ya know how it goes......
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: clear glass blems (pics)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 06:03:00 AM »
The streaks are nothing to worry about and show from time to time. If you use darker woods they show more. The spots I think may be air bubbles. I have done a couple of bows that have them and are still going strong. Aggravating to say the least.
High on Archery.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 10:03:00 AM »
I have had two bows by well known makers that have the bubbles. In conversations with the bowyers, they seem to think that they are no problem, and my experience so far has confirmed it. I wonder how many bubbles are under colored glass lams?
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Charles Sorrells

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
Kenny -

I read the other post and from some of your other posts I can tell you pay particular attention to detail.

I wonder if some of the defects can be found prior to glue up by wetting the glass and then examining it on a dark surface, like the black paper suggested in the other thread.  It doesn't quite look like air bubbles to me in the gluing process/more like in the glass itself close to the surface.  I would think wetting the glass on the smooth side, very very lightly, with just water then examine it, then putting it in the oven to dry it out might reveal this safely.

Just thoughts as I know I would be taken aback a few steps too seeing this reveal itself after several hours of work and $$ invested.

Do you know if anyone has ever submitted anything to the glass manufacturer for a refund or is it just "caveat emptor" (buyer beware) with the chance we take on this application of glass?

Thanks for shaing this.  Maybe some light wil be shed for us all.

Regards, Charles
"When the Lord is your guide, you never hunt alone."

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 06:54:00 PM »
I dont think this will hurt the bow or performance either,but as Crooked Stic said it is highly aggravating.

I also have wondered how many voids and bubbles are under colored glass,guess nobody ever knows?

Charles,I think you would have to wet the glue side of the glass,because the smooth side is very smooth,can't feel it with a fingernail at all! The spots and the streaks seem to be very close to the finished surface,but not on it.

Thought about drilling thru the glass with a very small bit and forcing superglue in ,then epoxying the drill hole,but haven't screwed up the courage yet to drill on it.

As for any warranty,haven't checked on it yet,got glass for 2 more bows,I'm gonna put them together first and see how that glass looks,then argue about it.

All that aside,I put the finish to it today,and other than blems was quite pleased with the critter!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »
Clear glass is a luck of the draw.Wetting it shows the worse but I have never been able to tell for sure untill it is done.The spots in your picture looks like the glue job instead of the glass to me.Use plenty of glue and keep your fingers crossed on the next one.  :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline oddan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 04:17:00 PM »
Several bows have this with the newer glass. I just hate paying over a grand  for a bow and its not perfect in evry way. Snake skins will cover the blems though.
Out Door Dan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©