3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What do ya'll do in late season?  (Read 482 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
What do ya'll do in late season?
« on: December 01, 2010, 05:38:00 PM »
Well with all the acorns,persimons,corn,soybeans etc...gone, and with all the dry weather we had this summer, I don't see a hole lot of browse for the deer to munch on. I'm at kind of a loss as to where I'm gonna hunt this late season. Got any suggestions? There only one area I can hunt that might have a little corn still laying around on the ground, but very little woods!   :dunno:  What do you think? Thanks' Jason

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What do ya'll do in late season?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 05:41:00 PM »
I have good luck hunting around honey locust pods in the late season, especially if there is snow on the ground.

Patches of honey suckle can be great as well!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
I set my stands up on high traffic trails. The animals here travel several routes with regularity. Even with no food there you can bet there is a trail from there that deer use year round.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
Sounds like we are in different worlds, but here in the northeast they change to eating a lot of cedar and stickish crap in winter. Don't know how they do it, if I couldn't eat a nice hot bowl of venison chili now and then, well...I just dont know
David M. Conroy

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
Find the best food source around and hunt it,or funnels and bedding areas.

worse case order some venison from cabelas and shoot the box when it gets delivered.Same as hunting in winter, but you get to eat something.   :laughing:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
Ha!!! good idea
David M. Conroy

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
Deer in my neck of the woods like to browse on them little bitty hickory buds in late season.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Al Natural

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
Corn and soybean fields that the dirt has not been worked.  Has always worked for me.
Al

Offline BamaBarebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
The deer in our area have absolutely no pattern! You see a deer by chance.
Bama Bows Hunter 53lbs @ 28”
Genesis 27:3

Offline SpencerL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
In utah the snow pushed the deer down to wintering grounds. These are mostly open sage / Scrub oak area's. Really it's the best time to hunt in Utah.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 07:07:00 PM »
Deer are browsers (and grazers) so if the row crops are gone, acorns eaten or buried, they will turn to browse--small, twigs and branches that were put on this season. In fact, there is an exotic honeysuckle shrub(Japanese) whose leaves stay green well into the fall that is very common in midwestern forests, especially thin or narrow bands of forest where lots of sunlight filters down.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
I mainly sit and shiver and wonder where all the deer went.    :confused:    :D  

Still fun to be out though. Every now and then you pick up a nice doe.  We get to hunt untill the end of February here, and I take full advantage.  Pretty much what Bowwild said: honeysuckle, dogwood twigs, odds and ends like that.
Silence is golden.

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by sweeney3:
I mainly sit and shiver and wonder where all the deer went.      :confused:        :D    

Still fun to be out though. Every now and then you pick up a nice doe.  We get to hunt untill the end of February here, and I take full advantage.  Pretty much what Bowwild said: honeysuckle, dogwood twigs, odds and ends like that.
That's been my story too as of late. I sit and shiver and feel totally at a loss on what I should do or where I should go. I've got very few actual hunting days left so its starting to look like a nice big hot bowl of tag soup for me.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
I start trapping furbearers about this time and right now I'm just waiting for it to dry out a bit.

But.....I still have some clover in my small food plot and there's still plenty of acorns around so this late season should still be fair.
Once I get traps out, I will hunt in the evening and run sets in the morning.

If I didn't have any food sources to hunt in your case and no trails or travel routes to set up on, then find a bedding area and hunt the edges. If no bedding area.........well then maybe you should get some Osage and try your hand at bowmaking?
Or travel to a different area, maybe public ground? Most public areas have some kind of left over food planted just for wildlife or at least something on a nearby property.
If your dead set on staying after it, then I would start scouting some new areas around your home and who knows.....you may find a new honey hole?

Good Luck
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
hunt the trails/funnels! When I'm not hunting I am trapping . . . nothing like another hobby to drain the bank account  :)
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
I look forward to late season so I can still hunt or track in the snow. I have the woods to myself and have a ball. It turns out to be the most fun season for me. This year I am going to include a Ghillie suit also.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
It's a good time for still-hunting.  Late season is pretty cold which makes sitting less enjoyable and the leaves are decomposing - making for quieter footing.

Lots of time we have snow in the late season, making tracking more viable - for patterning the deer if nothing else.

Late season - I'll most likely be drifting around the woods as slowly as I can go.

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
If you can find the preferred food source, you are in business. The colder and nastier it gets the better.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline DV of WI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 11:59:00 PM »
Hunt pheasants and wait for some real cold -20 or so, another foot of snow and then hunt the trails leading out of the cattails to the picked corn.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 12:39:00 AM »
We still have plenty of acorns in the woods. When it gets late season, I would look for consistent travel routes. Man I wish I had time for a trap line. I miss doing that.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©