3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How far from the nock are youre feathers?  (Read 252 times)

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
How far from the nock are youre feathers?
« on: December 02, 2010, 06:26:00 AM »
Hi,

with wich space in between the nockgrove and the end of the fletch do you put youre fletches?

I liked to have them about 1/2 inch from the nockgrove but i would get best helical fletch results (fletch being perfectly in the middle of the shaft) if i would put them 1 3/4 inch away.
Looks awkward and i am concerned it might affect arrow flight.

Any help apreciated, Thanks
Axel
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How far from the nock are youre feathers?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 06:51:00 AM »
I put mine about  an 1.25" from the groove in the nock. It leaves room for fur tracers. They fly great. I think if the bow and arrow are tuned it doesn't matter. You can get good arrow flight without feathers if tuned properly.

Keeping the Faith!
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 07:16:00 AM »
Ditto on 1.25" from nock groove to the back of the quill. I use shield feathers and the feather touching the tip of my nose is the secondary anchor. This works for me.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 07:22:00 AM »
I align the edge of a shield cut feather with the offset edge of a Bitz clamp, giving me about 1" forward of the nock groove if I understand your question.  This is critical to me, as I use my nose against the back of the cock fletch as a second anchor.  This location may be further back than most folks, as the clamp has hash marks for aligment well ahead of that edge.  At some ridiculously forward location I would guess you might sacrifice some steerage, but I don't think there'd be any problems associated with the range you're talking about.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 07:47:00 AM »
I always keep mine at 1 1/4" from nock bottom as this is the room I need to not have interference between fingers and fletching. I've tried several different positions and saw no problem,with flight, other than when I came in too close as I wrap the string with my fingers I would hit fletching.  :archer:

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 07:53:00 AM »
Yup, just like cbCrow, far enough away to not hit the fletch when I grab the string.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 08:03:00 AM »
I also go between 1-1-1/2 due to large hands and manly fingers.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
Mine are 1.25".  In fact, this is the factory fletch spec on the Beman MFX Classic. I have 6-7 different fletching jigs and usually fletch my arrows but the last two dozen I've purchased directly from Tru-Flight complete except for cutting and insert installation.

This thread and the "nose-to-fletch" contact is interesting to me. I've noticed if I bend my nose a "little" I can touch the fletch as some have said above. Of course I don't want to take my head out of vertical to do this. I'm going to experiement and see if I move the fletch towards the nock 1/4-1/2" if I can bring the fletch to the nose without impacting my form.

I've checked for finger clearance. I have lots of room between the string and the fletching, especially if I hook the string below the nock locator and slide up to the nock.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 08:56:00 AM »
1-1/4" is the "old" norm and still serves.  That's where I fletch mine.  You can create some flight problems by going too far forward but put them as far back as suits you.  I made up some olde English style triangular fletch years back and the tips were as far back as the lips of the nock.  Flew great but I did not care for the lip and nose contact.  I found it distracting.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
Mine are 2.1"s. Use Ultra-EFOC arrow with 4" fletch and having no issues with tuning.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline KumaSan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
All of mine are 1" from the nock groove, whether I buy them fletched or I do them myself.

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
One of my anchors is the back of fletching touching my nose....so if you were going that route too it would depend on the length of your nose.     :biglaugh:   Just checked my recent creations and it is 1.25"....my nose is normal length I guess!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
My old JoJan (don't know if the newer ones have it)has a pre-cut notch on the clamp that I line the rear of the fletch to. If I'm really careful on alignment its 1.5" from the notch.....Phil

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »
Uh oh, you guys who are using the nose/fletch contact as a check point -- SNAG has outted you if your fletch is further than 1.25" from the nock you are likely going to wind a deer before it winds you!?  

Sorry, I can't help myself-- that's why I had more time standing in the hall than in the classroom.

Offline FXJr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
I like mine about 1"-1.25" from the nock. I also use them as a secondary anchor point.
   Frank X.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
Bowwild,
Using the nose as a second anchor should first of all feel natural or at least be able to become comfortable with it.  Much of that will depend on your particular primary anchor.  I didn't add the secondary until I switched to 3-under with my middle finger on an incisor.  This raised the shaft until the nose/feather contact felt very natural.  My only point was that if you inadvertently switch to arrows that have been fletched differently regarding location, it's very easy to started altering the way you lower your head to intentionally initiate that nose /feather contact and cause inconsistency in your draw length.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 05:14:00 PM »
1 1/4 inch here too.Never thought about it so I went and measured
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline bamacrazy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
3/4" usually.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©