3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 300 grn Big Jim Heads  (Read 409 times)

Offline floodman

• Trad Bowhunter
300 grn Big Jim Heads
« on: December 02, 2010, 07:42:00 AM »
Has any one Been shooting,Killed with the 300 wide VPA Big jim Heads,What is your arrow set up..I just bought some and going to try them on a 340 Axis with Brodhead reduction ring,Standard inserts,I Will practice with 225 head with a ring and Brass 75 grain insert,Bow will be a Hoyt Dorodo,Will get the whole set-up this week,Tell me your Think...Thanks Jerry

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 300 grn Big Jim Heads
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
I believe Big Jim killed a doe with one.
John

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »
Yep,Jim did so kill a doe with one.He said you would have tripped over the blood trail.I shot one this summer and was surprised how well it flew.I can imagine the damage this thing would inflict.
I was also surprised how easy it sharpened to scary sharp.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Longbow338

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »
I have killed a couple doe with the big Jim head this year.   They leave a massive blood trail and are very easy to resharpen as are all vpa's.   I shoot a 60@28 and a 59@28 Morrison shawnees one longbow one recurve with a 300 trad only from three rivers. They are really great heads that make huge short trails.
2 morrison mini ilf's skinned
2 shawnees skinned
2 PCH X honduran rosewood
Tiger mytrle and brazilian rosewood

Offline floodman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
up

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 02:57:00 AM »
I killed all theese game with a 680 grain arrow and 300 Big Jim Heads.
My bows were close to 60# @ my draw lenght (31+")

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=27;t=000317
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline floodman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 06:28:00 AM »
thanks for the feedback..Great pics and Story Lauent...

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 07:02:00 AM »
Big Jim just killed two more deer with them. First deer (a button) complete pass through, just a touch high. Could swear I saw daylight through it as he ran (just kidding). Piled up in a measured 40 yards. Blood everywhere! he did the flying crash so I didn't need to blood trail except for fun.
Later last night, perfect shot at dusk. couldn't see the arrow enter. Also a complete pass through. Middle of chest a little behind crease and exited out her offside leg. She exploded after the hit. I started looking for my arrow and immediately found blood at the impact site (not real common). I have trailed a lot of deer and many other animals with good and great hits but have never seen soo much blood come from a deer or almost anything else. It was a short 50 yards. She ran head on into at least two trees and crashed. There was blood high and low. I followed the trail at nearly a jog (with a flashlight). By the time I found her I was covered with blood from walking through it.

What a exciiting night.

Sorry, I only have pics of the first deer. By the time I got the second deer out of the deep swamp, I was spent and never even thought about the camera. I used the drag strap that comes with the hunter safety system to drag them both out by the back loop on the vest. Worked great! except that I was 700+ yards back in the swamp and had to cross two creeks. The Doe was a bigun and with out help, she would have probably done me in.
thanks,bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
These are some pictures posted from folks using Jims Head....

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Mr Green 740

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
I'm not trying to be negative but i'd be hard pressed to believe you would get good penetration with these out of a bow less than 60#. These heads are so big they don't look real. I shoot 50# and I wouldn't shoot it.
Evolutionary Traditionalist

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
Tony,until I shot one I thought the same thig.When I got my Big Jim TC I got a head from jim.My TC is 55#@27' right at my draw.I could not believe how they flew.I normally shoot 2-225 grains up front and these at 25 yards had the same trajectory.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
Mr. Green- you don't know what your missing. I know that I don't shoot average draw weights, but some of the others using them do and have great success. Lauent shot nearly through an eland with one at 60 lbs. Eland is the toughest animal I have ever encountered and my nosler partitions nearly dissintegrated but did the job.

If you get your arrows tuned properly (important no matter what you shoot) and have your heads razor sharp, it will do it.

these heads are only slightly bigger than a snuffer except perfectly machined and lots of mommentum toting efoc.
I was in a stand in illinois with only two good sharp heads in my quiver and two that had been shot the day before (one through a deer and another through the dirt and rocks). While I waited for deer, I tood about 5-10 minutes total and slowly and quietly sharpened both heads back to razer sharp with a small file I keep in my pack.
I guess if you think you can't, you probably can't.
BigJIm

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
so what about 45-50# bows with 500-550gr with these big heads,,,, has anyone done it?
"Us vs Them"

Offline floodman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »
Im gonna try it.Im shooting a Hoyt Dorodo 50#@28  Easton axis 340's,,With Big Jim's 300's up front..total weight 603.9 grains

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 07:47:00 PM »
I have a friend who is a deer killling machine. He is going to get set up for the bigJim heads to launch from his 50lb bow so we can show how it works.

Now I don't proclaim that everyone will get pass through all the time. I shot a doe with my 82# bow and hit the off side leg bone on the way out. No pass through. but with a resonable hit, I feel that there should be no problem for at least an exit hole. I know guys who routinely have pass through shots with low 40lb bows and even lighter (using different heads). this should be a breeze for a 50lb er.
thanks,bigjim

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »
My Big 3's are set up for a 50# bow.

Victory HV350's with 400 up front and 32+% Ultra-EFOC with a total wt of 608 grains. This was the 1st BH that I didn't have to tweak after bare shaft tuning. Average Bag targets don't like Ultra-EFOC set-ups and my Rhine Hart BH target is quite visibly being tested by the Big 3's.

I am confident.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 11:44:00 PM »
Pass thru with the Big Jim Head.....Jim doing some weight lifting  :)

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 08:08:00 AM »
What is amazing about that pic is that is a 200#  doe!!! Named big Jim for a reason.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline charles m

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 08:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by J-dog:
What is amazing about that pic is that is a 200#  doe!!!
Certainly nothing against Big Jim or his heads, but I'm calling BS on the doe weighing 200#s.    :readit:  

Those African kill pics sure are impressive.     :thumbsup:

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
This is not the 200# doe...

Jim did not get a picture of her...

This is the smaller deer he shot first as he explained in his post.....

Hope that clears it up  :)

QUOTE from Jims post....."Big Jim just killed two more deer with them. First deer (a button) complete pass through, just a touch high. Could swear I saw daylight through it as he ran (just kidding). Piled up in a measured 40 yards. Blood everywhere! he did the flying crash so I didn't need to blood trail except for fun." .....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©