3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow rest location?  (Read 287 times)

Offline Red Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow rest location?
« on: May 30, 2007, 11:33:00 PM »
When making a selfbow/longbow, how do you determine the correct location for the arrow rest in relation to the centre of the bow (centre between the nocks)?

Red Dwarf

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow rest location?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 11:26:00 AM »
Mostly has to do with how you plan on gripping  the bow. If you like to use a full hand or low wrist then keep your handle close to center between the nocks. If you like to use a high or straight wrist grip then shift your handle lower down the bow or toward the lower nock. Example: (assuming a 4" grip here)full hand/low wrist-keep handle centered. Measure up 2" and then down 4" for your handle. High/straight wrist measure up from center, say, 1" and then down 4" for the handle. For a medium grip somewhere in between.

Everyone's different on what they like so just experiment and see what you like. But always keep your center marked during lay-out and adjust from there. When your bow is complete you should be able to balance it on your finger dead center of the bow. If this doesn't happen then you will have to grip the bows using a slightly different grip then intended.

ART B

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »
an inch and a quaret to an inch andd a half over center is normal, but like Art said it will depend on how your bow is set up. When you get your handle shaped it will feel best in your hand at one particular spot. I draw a line over the webbing of my hand at that spot and put my rest there.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Red Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »
Sorry I couldn't get back to you guys sooner; away for a few days.
Thanks for the replys.
Please excuse my ignorance but, why do you not locate the shelf in the geometric centre of the bow, and then tiller the limbs to give an even pressure on your bow hand?
What is the advantage or otherwise of a "higher than centre" shelf?

Red Dwarf

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
For one thing the handle isn't long enough and for another that would put all your hand pressure below the mid line of the bow.

Guess you could do it that way though. The Japanese Yumi bows have the handle placed well below the center of the bow.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©