3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Think I've Finally Found Them  (Read 155 times)

Offline Mechslasher

• Trad Bowhunter
Think I've Finally Found Them
« on: December 02, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »
had the worst luck about three weeks into my season this year. i hunt about 300 acres of prime white tail land just inside the city limits of my town, don't have to worry about gun hunters! i have a hardwood ridge between a water treatment plant and some rail road tracks. three weeks in, the plant decided to clear about two acres of land along side my ridge that was a choice bedding area. after about a week i hunted the area and saw seven deer in all that morning. apparently the work only forced to deer to use a very small funnel right beside the tree my stand was in, this was great! i've had several deer get away from me out of that stand in the last month or so. the last week or two the deer stopped using the area and i was for a loss as to where they were hanging out, acorns are all gone. i did some scouting last sun. and found a two yard wide gap between the water plant fence and the row of trees that were pushed up so i set up a trail cam. checked my trail cam yesterday and bingo, it's a regular highway. set up a stand there yesterday and can't wait for sat. morning.

"There is beauty and magic in a drawn bow."

Cade (SC)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Think I've Finally Found Them
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
Very exciting the anticipation of hunting a new stand, especially with daylight deer sightings recorded!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 10:13:00 AM »
Good luck, Let us know how you make out.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
go get'em
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Mechslasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
well fellows, i hate to admit all this but i got up a little late sat. morning, forgot to set the alarm.  managed to finally get setup around 7 and hadn't been in the stand 30 minutes when i hear something walking toward me.  yep, it was a nice fat doe, on the other side of the fence!  talking about bad luck!!  then to add insult to injury, another doe comes walking along after the first.  five minutes later i hear something else walking toward me and coming down the trail is a smallish button head, on the right side of the fence this time.  i was about to draw on him when i hear something coming from behind me.  it was a doe walking straight to me.  it walked directly under my stand.  in fact, i was looking at her through the mesh in my stand as she walked by.  she took two more and looked up at me and she didn't like what she saw.  i could see her nose hairs twitching as she tried to catch my scent.  she took two jumping steps and i drew back.  she stopped quartering away to my left and i picked a spot just behind her shoulder.  when i released she dropped straight down while her head whipped back to the right.  i watched as the arrow struck her high in the neck, guessing in the second or third neck vertebrae.  i thought watching her staggering away, if i was going to miss, that's a good spot to do it.  the arrow snapped off leaving the broadhead in her neck.  i gave her 30 minutes and decided to check and see what the blood trail looked like.  about 20 yards in, i was finding splashes about every 5-8 foot that looked like someone was pouring blood from a cup.  i tracked her for another 100 yards following one of the best blood trails i've ever tracked.  then i found where she bedded down, that's when i started to worry.  i backed out and came back two hours later with a buddy and we looked for another three or four hours.  after she got out of her bed, she only dripped a couple more drops of blood and then it stopped all together.  this doe took a woodsman elite in the neck at about 15 foot and still got away.  the toughness of deer never cease to amaze me.  i'm hoping for better luck next time.
"There is beauty and magic in a drawn bow."

Cade (SC)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©