3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting hours. When is it to late to shoot?  (Read 918 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting hours. When is it to late to shoot?
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
I don't want to track in the dark. For me, the day ends well before it's legal when hunting with bow. Depending on the weather it could be well before sunset.

Here in NC you can go up to 1/2 hour before/after sunrise/sunset.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
If it going to be after hours by the time I get out of the woods i attach two platic fasteners around my string and the grip. Makes it unshootable and in the eyes of the law, here in NS, legal to carry out.
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
The twig concept is a good idea. I passed on a shot at a great buck this year because the light was fading even though I would have still been legal. The next day I sat in the same stand and when it got light I could see some twigs that could have easily deflected my shot. I was sure glad I passed. Game laws are there for a good reason, I guess, not just some arbitrary idea. We have a half hour before and after sunrise/sunset here but that's pretty liberal. Last year, I shot my buck at 7:30 a.m. Sunrise was at 7:15 a.m. I was 45 minutes into legal shooting hours, but it was still pretty dim. I sure wouldn't have attempted the same shot 45 minutes earlier.

I like to get to my stand well before daylight, and if there are deer around, I stay until well after dark. I still won't shoot until there is plenty of light. I find the older I get, the more light I need.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline bow'narrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
Another issue with pushing sunset is finding shot game, especially if the animal goes a great distance.  A shot taken in  the 1/2 hour after sunset can mean a lost animal.
no clue how to do this

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©