3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Draw Length Question  (Read 335 times)

Offline nlester

• Trad Bowhunter
Draw Length Question
« on: December 02, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
If I had a bow that was #60 @ 30 inches, and my draw length was actually 28 inches.....how many pounds would I be pulling?  Would having a bow over my draw length be OK?  Thanks for any info in advance.
Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge;
   fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Draw Length Question
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
You will lose about 2.5 lb/in, so about 55 lb at our 28".  Better the bow be made for a longer draw than a shorter one; won't hurt a thing.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline nlester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
I've got bows that had shorter draw lengths and it is a little bit of a problem with stacking and finger pinch.....never shot a bow that was longer than my draw length.  Thanks for the help!!!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
I measure all my bows with a very accurate digital scale. I measure them first to see how close the documented specification is to the real weight. Then I measure at my draw length for tuning purposes.

My draw length is 26".  I find on most of my bows (11) I lose 3 pounds per inch. I just measured a Checkmate I traded for. It was written on the bow 49# at 28". It's actual draw weight is 54# @ 28" and at 26" the draw weight is 47.5#. By the way, this is the greatest difference in documented weight and actual I've ever noticed. I've checked my digital scale with known weights of 50 pounds to make sure it is accurate.

Be aware, when checking draw weight, especially to verify the specified weight written on the bow, not every bowyer measures this the same. The ATA specification is to measure the draw weight 1.75" foreward of the pivot point of the grip. This is usually (not always) at the back of the bow shelf (away from the archer).

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
The measure point isn't from the back of the bow shelf if done properly. It is the pivot point which in most cases is the deepest part of the grip. The place the arrow should rest on the shelf. 26.25" back from that point will give you the 28" draw weight if it is an AMO bow done properly.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by nlester:
.....never shot a bow that was longer than my draw length.  
Is that 'cause the arrow kept falling off the shelf?    :laughing:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline nlester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
LOL.....how long you been waiting to use that?  Clever.   :)

Offline CG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
Regardless of the "weight @ xx#" that a bow is marked, I'm not aware of anything a bowyer would do different for, say a 26" vs. A 30" draw on the same bow. I'm not a bowyer, so I might be wrong here, but I would think that the bowyer marking the draw weight at something other than 28" is only due to the customer's request and doesn't preclude the bow from performing like it should at shorter or longer draw lengths.  On the other hand, a bowyer might try to steer a customer towards a different length based on their draw.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
I was probably not clear enough about the location where the draw weight measurement begins. From the point 1.75" from the pivot point towards the back of the bow shelf draw the string 28" and measure the draw weight. In my case, I stop at 26" and take the weight measurement.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
BowWild:  You were clear the first time.  As you noted the 1.75 back of the pivot point is usually, but not always the back of the bow. Vertmonster is saying the same thing -- when one takes the weight measurement at 26.25 inches to the pivot point (AMO/ATA method), it removes the thickness of the throat as a variable.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
Most bows will loose or gain 2.5 to 4 lbs per inch.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©