3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nothing special...just a 4" PVC longbow tube  (Read 407 times)

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
Nothing special...just a 4" PVC longbow tube
« on: December 02, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »

I am sure MANY PEOPLE have used these, but still I thought I would share the photo. A 4" tube can typically hold 1-3 moderate r/d or straight limb longbows. A 3" bow-tube can typically hold 1 of most longbows, but won't be able to hold a highly r/d longbow. Using PVC glue, I glue an end cap on one end and a screw cap on the other.

A 4" sewer drain tube, end cap, and screw cap attachments costs about $16 to make and caps seem to be easily available at Lowe's store. A 3" tube should be cheaper, but our local Lowe's doesn't carry the caps for the 3" tubes.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nothing special...just a 4" PVC longbow tube
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »
Very cool.  Thanks for sharing.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »
Used that on a lot of my trips in the past and taking 2 bows I used 2 tubes along with an arrow container and ducked taped them together. Then the airlines counted it as one piece of baggage. That tells you how long ago that was.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
good stuff, lee - dat's da way to do it, folks!   :thumbsup:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
I did the same as far as attaching a longbow tube to an arrow tube for air travel, but I actually glued the tubes together and didn't have tape on it while flying. They wouldn't allow tape because of conveyor belts or something. I forgot why.

I did have to use tape to hold the tubes together while the glue set of course. Here is how I made those tubes. I don't have a photo though as I gave those tubes to a friend years ago since I seldom fly.

To glue them, I got a 3rd tube that was SLIGHTLY shorter than the arrow tube and cut it LENGTHWISE into two halves by slicing it end to end. Once I did this, I cut a bit more off each half tube so I ended up with two pieces that were about 1/3rd of the sidewall of the original tube (looking at the end it was like a banana shape, but was about 30" long). I took one of these pieces and smeared PVC glue on the OUTER surface of it and then laid it between the other two tubes (with pipe sitting on the inner side of it to weight it down while it dried). Using this splice provided considerable glue surface to connect the two tubes.

After the glue dried, I flipped it over and glued the other 1/3rd on the other side so it would be strong and stable by doing the same as I did above. Once it dried, I removed the tape. The airline never complained about it being two packages as they were chemically joined together and made ONE unit.
Lee

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
I jhave actually done similiar as you described with two tubes . The airline over here didn't find it so great though lol !
Thanks for posting this ... might save some $$$ for some of us .
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
LOL. I do remember the joined tubes kind of being a bit awkward to carry as it wasn't balanced in weight...but it got the job done. The last time I travelled by airlines WITH A BOW and ARROWS was back in 1997...so things may be different now post 9-11.
Lee

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »
I did the same thing, with a 3' PVC tube, but with one exception. I drilled a small hole at each end near the caps. Then, I took two small eye hooks with nuts/washers and length of cord. I put those items in a soft bag with the bow. When I got to my destination, I removed the bag of eye hooks and cord. I attached the eye hooks and tied on the cord. Presto, instant shoulder strap for carrying.

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 11:44:00 PM »
Wish someone would teach this to Craig at Howard Hill Archery. I had a beautiful Half Breed get damaged on the edge of the lower limb because of the cheesy boxes he ships his bows in!
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 06:34:00 AM »
I ship all my bows in the white sewer drain pipes.  I buy them in the 10' lengths.  One end is flaired so that I buy two pipes and can join the cut-offs to make three shipping tubes from the two pipes.  I pay around $6 for 3" pipes and $7.50 for 4" ones at Lowes.  The caps are less than $2 each.  I glue on one cap, and tape on the other.  Total cost is about $8 and $10, depending on size.  When the bow arrives at the owner they can buy one of these caps to replace the cheap one I taped on and have a permenant case.

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 07:16:00 AM »
Our lowes doesn't have the caps for the 3" pipe believe it or not. I don't know why that is.

I don't like the wing nutt cap end. I am surprised shipping companies would accept a tube with the wing nutt sticking out.

Great idea about joining the scrap ends of two tubes to get a 3rd tube. That will help keep shipping costs down. I will start using the scrap pieces of two purchased tubes and just use two of the cheaper end caps on those tubes for my customers that don't want spend the extra money on buying a $15 shipping tube. That would only cost me about $4 and the scrap ends of two "longbow cases"...and that way the customers that don't want a "longbow case" will still have a SOLID shipping tube without having to pay for a screw cap end "longbow case." Great idea.
Lee

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 07:27:00 AM »
Instead of using the glue on end caps, and clean outs.  You can save money using test caps, they are made to be broken out after the test is complete.  So they are brittle, but taping over them will keep them from breaking

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 08:34:00 AM »
Lee I think Apex meant you put the wing nut on after you receive the tube so you have a case with easy access at home. Not for shipping.

Keeping the Faith!
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
Oh. For the longbow case, I wouldn't want that wing nutt sticking out. I use the threaded end cap that has the square head. It does require the purchase of the threaded adaptor though. I hope you don't mind my opinion on such. Thanks again for the idea on joining the scrap pieces for a 3rd tube as that will solve a need I have for customers that don't want to buy a longbow case.
Lee

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
Yep to what magnus said.  At the other end the customer can put a fancier cap on the end and have a permenant case.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Pon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
I also like to add sponge inside the caps to protect the tips if the tube is on an upright position

Treadway Black Forest 54" 53#@28

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
I did all that on a longbow I shipped to Shinken on this site and UPS virtually destroyed the thing--the top 6" or so of the tube with the screw on cap was totally gone with only jagged edges left--the bottom cap had a hole in it big enough that the bow fell out of it when he picked the tube up--which by the way was just left at his door in that shape.  Shinken posted pics of it on here at the time.  No matter how it is packed, UPS can destroy.  Just a heads up--I will NEVER EVER ship anything UPS again.  "[dntthnk]"
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
Be safe out there!!!

One of life's lessons....

"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
Shinken, thanks for putting the pictures up.  I did not keep them--too gruesome to look at!
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
Conveyor belt or truck...or were they playing javaline? That's nutts. I don't want to have to use the thick walled heavy PVC stuff.
Lee

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©