3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Plaid camo?  (Read 1331 times)

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Plaid camo?
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
I've been searching several years now for a drabby plaid/greens and tans mixed with browns mid winter jacket with wool and a liner in it....Two weeks ago I found one on a non sponser site that listed for $169.00 and It was my size 2XL and the price dropped to $99.95 and if my order was over $100.00 they would take an additional 20% off that price...I checked the site and found a pack of them instant hand/boot warmers for .75 cents and that made the $100.00 mark...I got the coat for $79.96 and had to pay shipping etc.Total cost with that $91.66...The coat was a Woolrich Stag Jacket with liner and I tried it on and looks great...Can't wear it till after Christmas is the only problem...Sometimes it pays to be patient and search for a good price...The reason I bought new was in our area of Maryland the thrift stores and second hand shops hardly ever have wool and is they do it's gone before they tag it...Oh and by the way this company only had this one olive drab jacket ..Here lately I just prefer the Plaid over camo and like to hunt late season and the Wool will keep me in the woods longer    :D

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
Usually when my instinct tells me to keep my yap shut I do... just not this time.
   :D  

The original question was who wears plaid not which is best.

I notice a couple of response from guys who don't kill much of anything touting plaid.... hmmmm!

Also notice that none of the camophobes are using white clothes in early season or black on snow.

Now here's an opinion for all of you. Camo is a technique not a product.
If you change out of your plaids at the end of the hunt then you must have bought them for camo purposes. I guess that makes them camo.  Hmmmmm!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
I have a brown/rust and gray wool plaid jacket, and wouldn't trade it for the best jacket on the market today.  It goes on all my hunts in cold weather, and on nicer days, I have the same color pattern in shirts.  Salvation Army stores are a huge hit for these types of clothes.  That is if you are, as I call it, "Money Concious".  My buddies say I'm cheaper than American money.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
I just use whatever I can find the cheapest. That is usually goodwill wool and army surplus camo. HA! Jason

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
So just wondering if jcar315 has an opinion on this issue?

:biglaugh:

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
Camo is all technique. I love it. My mother is an awesome seamstress and all my "new" stuff is plaid. So much cooler IMO. Now friends really think I'm a freak. A Longbow and plaid, geez.......
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2010, 11:30:00 PM »
Odd, for yrs my preference has been for camo clothing and non camo bows (even wheelies).

Liked the old Hoyt Safari colored compounds (bronze riser w black limbs).

My current bow has black limbs, but they had some shine to them.Rather than scratch them up a bit to dull them I just blasted them with some spraypaint. Only did fwd facing slide, left the other black.

Got a PSe Coyote, hated that camo, did an el cheapo spay bomb camo job in grey on it.

My new limbs for my ILF will be black, dunno how long they'll stay that way.

Clothing?  I hope to afford some good wool, in camo   :)
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2010, 05:09:00 AM »
I don't wear commercial camo at all ... except on my Cat quiver and Arrowmaster. I don't begrudge any one wearing it and I don't think its a fashion statement either one way or the other . Here in Australia hunting has become  relatively uncommon and if on crown land there is chance of meeting other people / non hunters I'd prefer that I did so in what would be considered neutral clothing ... ditto landowners whilst on private property. They usually think I'm odd for running round like Robin Hood anyway.

But as Charlie suggested camo is a technique rather than a piece of equipment . I must stress however that I dress in accordance with my surrounds ... neutral muted tones that will blend and break with the country I'm hunting. so in effect I "camo" myself just not in a commercial way.
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2010, 05:21:00 AM »
Thank you Charlie    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2010, 06:42:00 AM »
Charlie,

You pointed out something that makes a lot of sence...We all still try to blend in our surroundings so yes it is considered camo somehow...I was personally just trying to find something with wool and the colors in that jacket that I got has those colors that blended well with my modern camo clothing...Looking back to my responce on the subject and wondered why I went so far in detail about the jacket I found...Sorry guys I was just excited about it...Now I can wear my camo bibbs with the plaid top..Now I'm a mixed breed so call me a Mutt!   :D

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2010, 06:56:00 AM »
I'd love to be fashionable and get some of the hottest new plaid patterns and colors, but I'll have to stick with this old ASAT leafy suit to break up my outline!   :D

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2010, 07:40:00 AM »
I'll use whatever keeps me warm and breaks up my outline the best.

My biggest complaint with some(most of the camo out on the market) is the patterns are too small.

I look enough like a blob as it is and don't need to spend big bucks to enhance that look.

There are a couple of commercial products I'd like to try but they tend to be a bit pricey for my budget.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Precurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2010, 08:07:00 AM »
Light weight camo earlier, but can't wait for late season so I can bring out my Filson, Johnson Woolen Mills and the wool top I got from Theresa Asbell.

Dave

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
I'm certainly not against plaids or any other "camo" type clothing. I've worn my share and it works fine.

These days I wear what conditions warrant and I have plenty of "commercial camo" in my closet and it's what I go to most often.

Here's a couple of old pics.

I even stalked and shot a nice black bear wearing jeans and a tan work shirt.

I've even been working on my own design camo which seems to work great.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »
 I've even been working on my own design camo which seems to work great.  
Charlie if you market that put me down for a set   :archer:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
James... will do. Have been having trouble getting it to market. I know that stuff is in the house somewhere... I just can't find it right now.
   :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
Charlie,
   I like the plaid top in that first pic...Can you remember that farrr back what make that was?  :p

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
I wear camo bibs (cuz it gets cold) with a brown/black plaid shirt (Merino wool long johns). If it's warmer, I wear grey or olive colored pants. I do wear a camo face cover on the ground though.
Got wood? - Tom

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
Keefer... not sure of the brand. I got that from the old Kittredge Bow Hut. They sold it as their "Bowhunter Camo Jacket". I think it may be Woolrich.

That jacket still lives... Terry Green has it. I outgrew it years ago.

It was a great jacket with pockets under the yoke and low on the sides.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »

I too enjoy plaids when they match where I am hunting. I will also wear camo if it gives me the advantage...Ryan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©