3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I need a Longbow,Tell me about Hills and Mohawks  (Read 377 times)

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I need a Longbow,Tell me about Hills and Mohawks
« on: December 04, 2010, 01:28:00 AM »
After reading all these posts on Hill style longbows I've got an itch that really needs scratching,Years ago I shot Chek-Mates and hills and really miss em.I've got it narrowed down to HH or Mowhawks,and really like the looks of the Mowhawks .What are they like ?,Pics and Stats would be great.Thanks ever so much.Steve
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I need a Longbow,Tell me about Hills and Mohawks
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 01:40:00 AM »
I think owners of either type will jump to recommend the particular brand they own; I know I am tempted to for Hill. However, if you can do as Rob says and try them for yourself (an impossibility here in Australia; we just take the plunge based on the premise that we won't be disappointed by a reputable bowyer if we take the time to learn a new bow) you will have a better idea. Rob has shot both, so I'm sure he will chime-in, and may be able to outline some of the subtle differences. For me, having already been bitten by the Hill bug and having no experience with many other true longbows, the Hill is the only longbow I really fancy, now. In fact, I absolutely like shooting them better than Black Widow hybrid longbows, these days. For some strange reason, I can shoot them better.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 01:50:00 AM »
Ben,I know where your coming from.Up here in Canada its almost impossible to try either and I really cherish the opinions of yourself and others.I'm finding myself really drawing to simple longbows and enjoying them more all the time.Primeal instincts I believe.LOL
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline carpenter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 06:31:00 AM »
I love them both but,I really do like my Mohawk better.
Howard Hill Wesley Special  HH Halfbreed

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 06:38:00 AM »
nothing wrong with a mohawk at all,never owned a hh but i hear good things.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 07:15:00 AM »
i've owned LOTS of both hills and 'hawks.

the essential factual difference is that hills have reflexed tips (standard) and the 'hawks are mild r/d with trapped limb cross sections.  the standard hill straight or dished handle is somewhat larger than the standard slimmer, more hand filling 'hawk handle.  both will exhibit the classic "D" braced limb shape.  both offer very good resale value should the need arise for you to move on to other pastures.

opinion wise, the smoother, easier, better performing shooter for me by far is the 'hawk.  which is why i have a pair of t/d 'hawks and sold off all my hills years ago.  a 'hawk has that classic american flat longbow look, both braced and unbraced ... and pound-for-pound of holding weight, a 'hawk will simply offer a higher degree of performance - i did my own un-biased testing and went with the clear winner.  

for pics, go to the websites -  mohawk bows  is a trad gang sponsor.

if at all possible, you'd best try one of each out to see for yerself.  vince may have a loaner to send out to ya for the cost of two-way shipping from colorado.  dunno if craig @ hh does the test bow thingy.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 07:30:00 AM »
I kinda though Rob would chime in here ... lol .
 I have been shooting Hills and Hill style bows for quite a while and still the remain my first port of call for hunting. Craig does a great job with good pricing , options and turnaround time . His t/d is a sleeve option whilst Vince uses the connexion hinge . The Mohawks will be considered gentler in the hand and can be ordered shorter due to the mild r/d than the Hills ... this is based on my experience . Personally though the "handshock" doesn't bother me
You can't go wrong with either bow nor bowyer. If possible have a try with both . The classifieds here on Tradgang often have bows by both bowyers for sale and are a safe bet  .....
I should preface this with the disclaimer  that today I ordered a new special edition Hill from Craig ... and am looking at ordering a t/d from Vince at Mohawk for an upcoming hunt.
As Vince is a sponsor I'd give him a call and tell him what your looking for ... he'll set you straight as to what will best suit your needs .

Either way , get yourself some woodies , fill up ya back quiver with 'em and take to the woods with a trusty D shape bow for an afternoon of roving ... get you ready for next hunting season and you'll be joining the ever handsome ranks of d shape longbowmen...
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 08:07:00 AM »
Thanks guys ever so much for your input really helps out.Theres so many little things to consider a fella never thinks of.

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
I have never owned a Hill, but do own a Mohawk and Love It. Was shooting it last night, and I really shoot the bow well. They are smooth draw, quiet, and very little handshock if any. They seem to like heavy arrows, and launch them with authority. Their are fancier bows out there, but for a good looking working bow they are hard to beat. Vince is a Fine Guy to deal with!.....KYArcher

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
what ben just said, he further nailed it good.   :thumbsup:

for me, there's a nostalgic magic in seeing those gleeming unbraced limbs of a hill big 5 or tembo, then braced up it connects well with any books about mr. hill ('hunting the hard way' comes to mind first).  however, and in my case, the magic is diminished by the hill's hand shock (there is a bit) and that for a comparable length/holding weight 'hawk, the 'hawk just performs smoother and a tad faster, with better overall 'stability' - for me, dunno about you, and neither will you know for sure unless you get to shoot good examples of each longbow.  good luck!

Offline Mike Lee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
I own both and have been shooting Hills for about fifteen years. I developed a problem with my shoulder and elbow and shooting became too painful. Then I bought a Mohawk and I can shoot much more pain free. They are everything the other guy's say they they are. I still shoot my Hills once in a while and I like them very much but only for a few shots and my shoulder starts to give me a hard time. The only thing I miss on the Mohawk is the handle shape of my Hills. I would buy another Mohawk if he could put a dished grip on one.

Mike Lee

Offline Wapiti Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 09:58:00 AM »
Since Rob has been my "mentor" in all areas of traditional archery, since the late '90s, I won't repeat what he's said, although I agree with all!   :D
I currently own 3 Hawks, a 64", 66", & 68", all in the 40# range; and I've recently sold two 62" Hawks. I also currently own a 70" HH Tembo.

For all out Longbow beauty, I prefer the looks of the very narrow limbs of the HH bows, as well as Dan Toelke's bows, both his Whip and Super D. However, for all out shock free, smooth shooting, the Mohawks can't be beat, IMHO!   :notworthy:

While I can enjoy shooting my HH Tembo for a short time, Being north of 70, I don't want to endure the repeated shock to my bow hand/arm all day long, so I generally only shoot if for half a round. It 'shore is purtty' though!   :deadhorse:

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »
I have a mohawk as well. It is what i shoot now. I haven't ever owned  HH so I can't comment on the. I too like a little bit bigger handle, so I used folded over duct tape and wrapped the handle to make the shape and size what I wanted. No one can tell.Here is the pic of the "new" handle.

I love how it shoots and performs. It loves heavy arrows, and is quiet as well. But again only yu can tell what's right for you. The good thing about both bows as mentioned is resale value, so if you don't like it, you won't be out a ton of cash.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
fwiw, both mohawk and hill can be ordered with custom shaped handles.  i do believe there is no upcharge for this with the 'hawks, dunno about the hills.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
If you know how to hold a Hill correctly you can lower the handshock , I have had a mohawk much easier for me to shoot. But the big thing , no pain. Please dont get me wrong all of us longbow guys go through Hill stage and appreicate Hills..Heck if I had thwe money Id order me lefty! But the mohawks flat shoot!!!Id shoot both then , buy the one ya like...DO NOT OVER BOW YOURSELF! :)    :coffee:    :goldtooth:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Victory Rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
I love my Classic Hawk. I've owned all different style and brand longbows I agree with Rob the Hawk just feels the best.

68",bacote riser, actionboo cores, black glass, 50# @ 30" and 54# at my 31.75" draw.

Beman 340 ICS classic arrow, 32", 625 grain, 100 grain brass insert and 200 grain field point or 185 grain broadhead, 21% foc. Fly like darts. If you believe my chrono 171 fps.

All I can say is smooth!!!!!!!! Plan on ordering a tonkin boo limbed bow before x-mas!
68" Mohawk "Classic" 50# @ 30", Bacote
62" Trad Tines Recurve 50# @ 30"
Ben Pearson Colt 62" 41# @ 28"
Ben Pearson Golden Sovereign Knight 60" 50# @ 28"

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »
I can only echo what has been said in the previous posts.
I love Hill bows, the history, the design etc.  I think every longbow shooter should have one in their lifetime but in my opinion for "everyday" shooting the Mohawk is the way to go.  Smooth as butter, no shock and quick.  I own 2 and will order my third pretty soon, love 'em.

Good luck and good shootin'

Eric.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
I prefer the Mohwawk.  Vince is top notch to deal with and those Hawks are shooters.

Not to throw you a curveball but the Toelke Super-D is the best D-bow I have shot.  They are even slimmer than the Mohawk.  If you like a bigger handle than the Hawk you won't like it.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
I love my Mohawk and they don't get any better then Vince when ordering a bow, Great guy!!

I have finally found a grip that I like and it's the hill style so I modified my grip and couldn't be happier.

The best of both worlds and like Rob said Vince can make what ever grip you want. I bought mine used that's why I had to change it.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
Steve,
This is just my thoughts on the matter, but, I don't think you're drawing a fair comparison.

There's a reason that HYBRIDS are so popular. And that reason is that they shoot SMOOTHER. They are closer to recurves, some(agressive R/D)much closer.

If you're comparing longbows, names like Hill, Steen, Miller, and Schulz should come up.

I haven't shot a Mowhawk, but they are beautiful bows and I don't believe I've read a single bad word about the bow.

The same holds true for any of the R/D bows in my mind. While fine tools they may be, they are not the same bow.

Again, JMO. Everybody has one. Good luck with your search.  :archer:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©