3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Still Hunting question- nocked or not?  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
Still Hunting question- nocked or not?
« on: December 04, 2010, 06:53:00 AM »
Well i guess this could go for spot and stalk also, but for you guys that do hunt the ground and move, do you move with an arrow nocked? I was watching Fred Bear last night and the narrator says that its a no-no. Since I've started I have had one nocked when I'm moving. Only time I have put the arrow back in the quiver is if I am in really steep ground where I am bound to slip.

Just wondering what you guys do?

Jeff

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Still Hunting question- nocked or not?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 07:32:00 AM »
NO!! You'll hear some horror stories about this. Do it enough and you'll have your own horror story.

Scars to show, anyone?
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 07:36:00 AM »
Don is right! I used too but don't anymore. Ignorance of youth on my part. There was a post not to long ago about this. People have died from this and I knew someone who did. So DON'T do it!

Keeping the Faith!
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 07:43:00 AM »
Jeff - I started out like you, with an arrow knocked.  Then I started reading here, and elsewhere.  The, I thought about how many times I have slipped, even on familiar ground.  Its just not worth it.  

Keep the arrow in the quiver until you see the quarry.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 07:57:00 AM »
I guess I'm the daring one with an arrow nocked, I'm not going to lie but I do I have an arrow ready to go when I'm creeping for deer and I also hunt pheasants/rabbits and squirrels with my bow so I kinda need to have an arrow nocked.    but 95% of the time I'm in the stand and while on the walk in and walk out my arrows are all in the quiver because I personally learned that deer are going to see me before I see them so I don't bother and move at a steady pace which seems to not spook them as much,,,     I will man up and say don't learn this habit I have it is dangerous and they are right its really not needed.  

honestly I think the most dangerous thing some of you guys do is use a back quiver for hunting,,, if you trip and fall forward or tumble you can get a face & head full of broadheads that came out of the quiver on the way down.
"Us vs Them"

Offline bamacrazy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
Nocked, though its a bad idea...

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
Nocked only if I am approaching game. No quick shot is worth hurting my self or a hunting buddy.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »
not till I'm ready to shoot. I prefer to see game blood on the ground not mine.
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline nd chickenman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »
Ill join the crowd that did it BEFORE! dont any more

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »

honestly I think the most dangerous thing some of you guys do is use a back quiver for hunting,,, if you trip and fall forward or tumble you can get a face & head full of broadheads that came out of the quiver on the way down.
i've never heard or seen this happen in 40 years of bowhunting.  i suppose it could.  i have heard of people sticking themselves or a buddy while walking around with a shaving sharp broadhead on the end of a pointed stick though.    :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
After witnessing years ago how quickly an arrow kills, my arrows stay in the quiver.  I read somewhere of an accident this fall where two guys were still hunting together and the lead hunter got in some thick stuff and took a step backwards into the hunter behind him's arrow.  And died.
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by acadian archer:
not till I'm ready to shoot. I prefer to see game blood on the ground not mine.
I totally agree. Stalking about with an arrow nocked on the bowstring is a disaster waiting to happen.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
A little solo on your bow will keep one arrow very close at hand when a shot presents itself, and the point is covered should you take a tumble.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 10:02:00 AM »
I do both, but it all depends on what I am doing.  If I am trying to get from one area to another or moving very fast at all like just a slow walk I don't have one on.  If I am trying to get into position on something I have in site or getting around some cover to get on something moving with a lot of ground to cover I don't have one on.  If I am really still hunting very slow in cover where an animal or bird could show at any second I do have an arrow on, but I am talking taking a step or two and stopping for a while.  That to me is no different than having an arrow on as I cover those last couple yards planning a shot that could happen at any second on something I could see.  However, I take it off if I was on any kind of footing where I could slip or trip.  I would never move with an arrow on anywhere near another person;  you just can't guess what they could do without notice.  I also make sure to have it way away from me pointed off to the side and not out front or down.  I have never taken a fall or slipped with an arrow on my bow, because I am very selective when I have one on.  

You also have to keep in mind I hunt Michigan and mostly very flat land.  When I have an arrow on I am not on a slope, rocks, crawling over down trees or a lot of other types of footing and cover many here would be hunting.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
not nocked.  Just saying.
ChuckC

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »
Totally unnessessary. I have killed a few animals on the ground and never had an arrow nocked first. You'll have time. Like anything else, practice getting an arrow from quiver to bow till it becomes automatic. Walking around with a broadhead on the string is just plain silly.
Tom

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
I had never thought about it until I caught it on the Bear DVD. Now that I think about it, I can't believe I had been doing it. I ain't studying on getting stuck myself! Thanks for the replies. That's a bad habit I am dropping right now.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »
I'l carry a blunt nocked when still hunting small game, but never a broadhead.  As said before, that's a disaster waiting to happen, and it's a pretty sure bet that it will eventually happen.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
walking with an unprotected broad head is too dangerous. And quick shots are low %.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
i used to but man it is too easy to stick yourself - say if you trip and fall. Plus I think it takes some of your focus from the job at hand having to watch that BHEAD going through vines and the like.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©