3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Still Hunting question- nocked or not?  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Still Hunting question- nocked or not?
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »
If Im shooting bunnies or ground squirrels with blunts ect . But never with a broad head, or any thing sharp.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
in some of the thick cover that i have been in its near impossible to be on the move with an arrow nockedits just one more thing to make noise snagging on some of the brushin fifteen yrs of shooting trad there has been only 2 occasions ive been able to sneek up on deer and get within 20 yrds without them knowing i was even there.i actually had time to pull an arrow from my bow quiver and nock unnoticed. both times i blew the shot arrow went low and missed.since then i have shot a doe, from a tree stand. after witnessing what a good sharp broad head can do to a deer, the lesson is 1 mistake could be your last, especially if you are on a solo hunt. evolution does work. ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Groundpounder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
i nock when im putting on a little stalk where i know deer might be . but i wouldnt nock an arrow an follow a friend around in the woods.

Offline mookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »
Nope not until I'm ready for a shot. Had a friend stick me in the back 20yr ago nothing bad but brought it home.

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
Nope, & I don't walk around with my pocket knife open or the safety off my shotgun either.

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
Unknocked.  but sometimes,  if Im walking about and I approach an old clearcut or field edge or place I have repeatedly walked up on deer,  I will take an arrow out of my quiver and carry it in my drawing hand as I painfully slowly approach said spot.  If i get to the spot where I can see and there is nothing to shoot at,  I put it back and continue walking.  Some things are inherintly dangerous....and Im all for safety.  I would never do what I just explained,  being behind a buddy though,  or on ice,  or...you get the point.  Always wear my safety harness in the tree,  no exceptions.  But there are no seatbelts on motorcycles! Guess it comes down to common sense and sound judgment and knowing your limitations.

Offline Shooty1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
Nocked.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
I have a single arrow bow quiver and don't nock until game is spotted.

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Ray Borbon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
If I am stalking game I might nock an arrow. No big deal. Doesn't mean I'm dangerous or gonna die any more than it does to cross the street. It's all about how you do things..

Offline Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
In my younger days perhaps, as some here have said "If I am safe what's the problem". Now older and realizing that there is a reason its called an ACCIDENT. I take all precautions not to become a statistic.

Weigh the risk and benefits fellas, if you think that carrying an arrow on the string is really going to help you become more successful, you should just put in more time being a stealthy hunter. IMHO
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©