3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Late Season? How do you do it?  (Read 351 times)

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
Late Season? How do you do it?
« on: December 04, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »
So guys, I did some volunteer work this fall and have missed the early season and rut in Oklahoma, I won't get back until later into December.

How do you hunt the late season differently than other times.
Be sure to include some late season harvest photos if you have them.

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Late Season? How do you do it?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
In Northern Mi dress warm, temps in the 20s and low 30s  Hunt before a snow event and after it is over! Set up where the food source is for me right now that is in  the Oak ridges deer are moving thru them digging up the acorns!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline bamacrazy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »
Down here the rut is usually still on when the season ends. Usually though, the tried and true mathods work best. Find where they eat, find where they sleep, and set up between those two. If your hunting area includes any swamp land stalking the edges of those works well too.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
Food!
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
Well Michael we are almost neighbors as I live out on Keystone lake.I hunt food sources and trails leading to food sources.Late season is my favorite hunting
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
I haven't hunted much beyond Dec. but know that food is key. You find deer food.....you find deer! Still using that heavy limbed TT??

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
Hunt food sources. If there are acorns left, the deer will be eating them. Left over crops in fields can be good too. Intercept them between bedding areas and the food.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
Dress warm, hunt by the food. Deer are slaves to their stomachs.
Bret M. FullER

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »
Our late season happens to coincide with the secondary rut...I hunt food and call. Biggest deer I ever missed was during late season. Came right into a bleat can...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 04:29:00 PM »
Sorry, posting from my cell.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
how do I do it? well generally I freeze my arse off and see little to nothing  :(

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
Hunt food source and the worst weather is the best weather and i mean COLD WEATHER.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Malery Oxendine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
I hunt thick areas with food sources close by.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.
Yes, I still love my TT, I got an extra set of #69 limbs made with black glass for banging around in the woods this winter.

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
Best of luck.  I've bagged deer in December but I've spent a lot of quiet hours watching squirrels find nuts.  Around here the deer movement is very different in December.  My October hot spots are worthless in December.  In a word, study.  You have to find out where they are eating and sleeping and how they get from one to the other.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, 01:35:00 AM »
I hunt the same all year. I move to where I have been seeing deer. I hunt the ground in some huge woods, so all year I change spots often to follow the deer.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2010, 06:13:00 AM »
From now til spring the deer here will be eating cedar and seldom leave the cedar swamps once the snow is deep. Heavy snow droops the branches down so they can eat, not much wind in there and no one messes with them so they don't move much. Downed cedar trees are deer magnets in da swamp.
lll

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2010, 07:33:00 AM »
I bow hunt only mature bucks.But all bucks are thoughts are turning to food again.But remember buck woun't turn down a hot doe.So I contentue to call with only doe calls or tending grunts.I like to use only mouth blown call because bucks have heard doe in heat can calls so much and if they've been spooked by someone useing one mature bucks likely any buck will remember it.
   I get one trails leading to a major food scorce as close to the bedding areas has I can.They won't show up at the food scorce in the day light now.Unless you have totaly unpressured bucks.
  Hidden food scorces are great.And hear in WV honeysuckle thickets are high on my list.And most or they are in hiden spots.Trouble is bucks some times bed right in the honeysuckle.Where there water scorces are scarce.Exspecially stock tanks that don't stay frozzen are hot spots late season.So these the way you'd hunt food scorces.
   Let me say 3 things there's little pressure it's cood and loany not many people are willing to tuff it out.I save a tag just to hunt the late season I love it and do really well each year.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
I hunt much less after the firearms season has ended. Where before the firearms season I might hunt 4-5 times/week, I might only hunt 1-2 times/week after.

A variety of reasons:
1. 200,000 deer are gone.
2. I have more trouble keeping warm.
3. I've usually killed all the deer I can eat

However, when I haven't filled the one buck tag allowed in KY (which I support whole-heartedly) as is the case right now, I should keep hunting hard. As one of my friends reminded me, the buck you want to kill next season is alive now (mature buck).

I hunted yesterday. Roy Steele, you'll get a kick out of this, four bucks came within 25-35 yards towards me and stopped -- and bedded down in a HONEYSUCKLE thicket!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©