3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Scent spray  (Read 456 times)

Offline HuntWI

• Trad Bowhunter
Scent spray
« on: December 04, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
Do you use scent masking sprays? How effective do you think they are?      :dunno:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scent spray
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
I don't.  They might help some - I really can't say they don't.  But they certainly don't eliminate it.
I think that deer are so sensitive to scent that even if you cut it down by half that is still more than enough stink for a deer to pick up on.  
Having the wind in your favor is the only way to fool a deers nose.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline bamacrazy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
They seem to work pretty well for me. I've used scent away and scent blocker over the last two years and am able to get a lot closer to deer.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
I don't use it to try and cover my body scent, only a favorable wind will do that.

I do however believe in using it on my pant legs and boots. It seems to greatly reduce scent I leave as I enter and leave my stands.
That in turn will "extend" the length of time before most of the local deer will know where you go to ambush them.

Not a cure all, but it seems to help.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
I have thought about using it for that Charlie. Might have to give it a try for that.  

I'm real particular about approaching my stands.
I trim all brush and leaves on my entry path, and tuck my pants into my rubber knee boots.  While it does seem to help, the scent sprays might just be another tool in the box to eliminate as much as possible.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Spinealigner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
I agree with Charlie, I spray my legs and boots really well and deer seem to not get alarmed when they cross the path in which I walked.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
Same here.  Wind is the key, but scent sprays seem to greatly help cover your path.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
No.  I assume I stink bad and work the wind accordingly.

I did accidently involve myself with buck lure last year.  Some clown left a "spray bomb" in the woods on my property and I picked it up (and said a few nautical terms regarding his character for littering).  As I continued on my way I heard a funny noise and looked down to see the can still must have had some pressure in it.  My walking had unplugged the "one time use" lock open spray tip and it dumped a bunch of buck lure in my pant's cargo pocket.  Then I REALLY used some nautical terminology regarding his ancestry and close relationship of his parents common ancestors!  My camo pants still reek.

At least I think it's the buck lure?
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 03:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stumpkiller:
 Then I REALLY used some nautical terminology regarding his ancestry and close relationship of his parents common ancestors!  

:laughing:    :laughing:
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »
What Charlie said for me.
David M. Conroy

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
I use the homemade scent eliminator recipe I got from here.And the only thing I do is get the hock pads from deer I kill or road kill(more road kill lately)and if I can get the urine(I use 30cc syringes from work. I put the hock pads on a string and drag them in and hang them and freshen them up with the urine.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
A well planned approach and exit to and from your hunting location is paramount. I rely on cover scents for that part of the hunt(Like Charlie).
The wind can be your best or worst friend. I prefer to set-up such that he can be my ally.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
What Charlie said X 2.  

Stump, thanks, you had me rolling.

In addition, I spray the bottom of my boots too.  For me,when hunting in the snow it makes a difference most the time, but not always.  I do not believe it eliminates scent, but diffuses or reduces it enough that the deer do not pay as much attention to it.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
yes

somewhat effective
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
When a deer can "sense" a human's presence even when the wind IS in our favor, it seems ridiculous that a spray could fool them. That said, I still spray my boots. More out of ritual/superstition than anything else.   :)

Offline wildgame

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
i like keeping some scent killer on me during the hot season for a type of coolant!lol    :goldtooth:
"go afield with good attitude,and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and fields in which you walk" -Fred Bear

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 06:35:00 AM »
No I don't use a masking spray but do use an "eliminator" spray. Especially helpful to keep extra scent out of your hunting area with repeated sits.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Mechslasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »
i always set up my stand to take advantage of the wind but i have always used raccoon urine on the bottom of my boots.  over the years i've had many deer "cut" my trail without being alarmed.  the first of this year, i actually have a small four point trail me to my stand.  watched him, with his nose to the ground, for about 80 yards come straight to me.  guess he liked the smell of raccoon urine.  what happened you ask?  i missed him, twice!
"There is beauty and magic in a drawn bow."

Cade (SC)

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
I mostly used those dirt smelling wafers,, I do think they have a slight advantage as i have had deer down wind from me,,, these are urban deer who see or ehar people every day all year so maybe with very wild deer this stuff wouldn't work.
"Us vs Them"

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
I spray down my boots and my pants before i get to my stand, and then my hole body once in the stand.I think every little bit helps when hunting mature animals.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©