3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: PA second season?  (Read 389 times)

Offline flyfish1

• Trad Bowhunter
PA second season?
« on: December 04, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
Any Pa hunters out there that hunt second season regularly? Any success stories/pics would be encouraging. Cant wait until the gun season is done. Just a reminder again of why I love bowhunting so much.
Ron A        

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,for we are hunters and we want our freedom"
         ~Sitting Bull

Offline customcrester

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: PA second season?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
I do and here in S.E.PA you can hunt for buck with a bow until january 29th. I will be out hunting as long as the weather is not too bad,the older i get the less i like sitting out in the cold of the late season. I can't say i have shot many deer in the late season,i shoot my buck in october most years. This year i have let alot of small buck walk hoping for a shot at one of the six "shooters"i have coming through my property.I guess i will have to sit in the cold of the late season.The deer should move more to find food and just maybe one will walk in front of me and say SHOOT ME!Good luck and shoot strait.
"As long as the arrows still in the air there's hope"

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
When I lived in the SE, I had a lot of fun.  Weather wasn't too bad and the deer were herded up.  Since I've moved to the NW, its been a little tougher.  Not as many deer and no fields where I hunt.  Nevertheless I'll be out.
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 01:43:00 AM »
Well, PA is kind of short season, so I hunt with the bow through firearm and also winter bow. The fire arm season gives me 2 weeks and winter bow is only 1 week (lame). I have shot as many deer late season as I have any season. I like cold weather, keeps the deer moving.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 06:31:00 AM »
Thats a tough hunt when it gets cold, lots of hunters are Flintlock hunting and they usually drive deer to each other. If you can remember where there were a bunch of acorns left over that would be a good place to start. Nice part is there is snow so you can see the deer activity and if they have been in where you want to hunt.

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 06:55:00 AM »
Used to use the bow, but switched to a muzzleloader.  too cold for me to try and shoot my bow with all the clothing on.

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
One of my favorite times to hunt.
I save a doe tag every year just so I can Hunt the late season. I'm going to try to stick with the longbow over the Flintlock this year. Good Luck to all and God Bless.

Offline rambo1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 05:38:00 PM »
I do and I love It I shot a huge 7 pointer with my bow on nov 7 so I saved my doe tag for winter bow I am pumped
Black widow 2007 PSR 2 T/D recurve 60" 48#@28"
Bear kodiak hunter 1pc. 50x#@28" 60" style recurve
Kota Prairie Swift 1pc. 53#@28" 60"
Samick Leopard recurve T/D 50#@28" 60"

Offline BMejia

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
Most public or pressured areas will have a lot of guys doing drives during the flintlock season but if you can bowhunt a private area it could be a good time of the year. Hunt food sources of private grounds or escape cover on public or private areas.

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
I will be out. I have a couple of areas where the does move all the time. I was out yesterday and got busted but I know I will have another chance after Christmas.

Martin

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
i used to do it, very tuff. i never got an opportunity at a deer, lol. but its very fun to be out there in the fresh snows and all. best bet is hunting few hours till dark over a food source thats being hit hard. but now i just go ice fishing lol
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline stickbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »
jerry where did you see winter bow only one week in PA?
right from the book
DEER, ARCHERY (Antlered and Antlerless) Statewide: Oct. 2-Nov. 13 and Dec. 27-Jan. 15. One antlered deer per hunting license year. One antlerless deer

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 02:45:00 AM »
Stickbow I miss read that, but any way I spend a lot of time in NJ because I can hunt till mid Feb. No matter what, I'm out there in winter too.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline cedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »
On a nice sunny day, its good to be out.  I have never taken a deer in late season, but I have come close.  I'll keep trying, its all fun.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
I quit hunting in rifle season just because I can't stand the number of other hunters out there.  I'm already getting cabin fever and I'll feel like a kid on Christmas morning come Dec 27.  However, I'm in a bit of a dilema here.  I got a doe with my longbow back in October and missed a chip shot on a buck, so I still have a buck/flintlock tag.  I also really like hunting with my flintlock, so I don't know whether to take out the smokepole or the longbow. I'd rather take another deer with my longbow, but when it's really cold I'm too much of a pansy to sit in a stand for very long.  The flintlock affords me a better chance when moving about more to stay warm.  Oh, decissions, decissions.....One thing I do know is that I will be out there with some type of primitive weapon.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »
Killing a deer in late season is really special. It is usually cold,there is usually snow,and I usually ask myself "What am I doing out here?".......

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
Sometimes,just sometimes,it all falls in place....

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
And then you realize that the only way this ever happens is if you are, where you are, at that exact moment......

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
And that is when you know there is no where you would rather be........

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
I was the only guy carrying a bow,a Mon-River Venom.

On the second drive this guy (button buck) came barreling up a cornfield and right into the woods where I was on stand.

I barely had time to get an arrow out of my Cat Quiver (my hands were cold) and kneel down when he was speeding by me at 4 1/2 yards. Drew,swung, and released in a second. Shaft snapped on impact and he was down in 60 yards. Very,very,special.

Good Hunting,
                                  Craig

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©