3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tell me about SITKA gear????  (Read 431 times)

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Tell me about SITKA gear????
« on: December 04, 2010, 02:33:00 PM »
For hunting in 25-30 degree? What would be the best layers to use? Is it REALLY worth the money? How does it compare to wool? Thanks.  BILL

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tell me about SITKA gear????
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
There have been several good threads about sitka gear recently...use the search feature and you will get a wealth of info. How does it compare to wool?  It is less bulky.  What i finally figured out in using sitka gear for the last 3 years (i'm a slow learner!), is that it is a layering system that works great in cold weather IF you layer properly.  i like the fact that you can layer 3 or 4 layers (if needed) and still have less bulk than you would have using wool or other company brands.  
What works for me in 25 to 30 degree weather..traverse base layer, kelvin pant & jacket (or vest), ascent pant (or celsius bibs), and a traverse shirt or ascent jacket for the outer layer.   Walk slowly to your stand & don't put your outer upper layer on until you reach your stand or you will be sweating!  This is what works for me if i am going to be sitting in that kind of weather.  If you are going to be still hunting, you wouldn't need this many layers.  
Is it worth the money?  It is to me.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
I'm new to Sika Gear this season. So far, I love it.  I was out this morning in a tree stand @ 28 degrees at 7:15AM.  It was 30 degrees at 9:46AM when I climbed down.  I was toasty except for my hands which was holding my metal-riser bow because 4 bucks bedded 25-35 yards from me.

I like the Bibs,Zip-T, Polyster jacket.  I also have the Stratus Jacket but I haven't worn it yet.  The clothing is well thought out with pockets, zipers, snaps in the right places.

One can probably stay warmer and as well hid for a lot less money. There are many opportunities for discounted pricing though. I have two other sets of insulated bibs that, after the discount I found, were only $20-30 cheaper and not nearly as well made.

If I were to owne one piece of Sika it would be the zip-top T as an outer garmet for 40+ days.

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
Much better then wool. New line of cold gear is great water proof with wind stop. My wool going up for auction!

Offline CDR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
I have also switched to Sitka this year. The Stratus and Kelvin jacket doesn't get much warmer than that. I have not purchased any core garments yet, but the traverse is next on the list.

I think it is worth the money. I wasn't to thrilled with the forest camo pattern, but I have had excellent luck this year with not getting picked off.

I have had wool and it is a good product, but the Sitka is very light weight packable, and if layered properly it is warm.

Give it a try I think you will be satisfied!

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 07:47:00 PM »
It looks like good gear. Unfortunatly I will probably never own any. At 6'5" and 290 I need 3XL-Tall. It's really hard to find technical-style clothing in "Tent and Awning" sizes.

It's heavy and smells like a gorilla's butt when it gets wet, but I will stick to my wool.

The hats and gloves might fit.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
Posted on the other site you posted the question on...  Thought I would add it here:

Don't have any.. soooo, this may not be worth a crap. I am a 64 year old post heart work guy. Ask around and see what that means. Circulation problems. I never got cold prior to the work. Different story now.
I grew up with wool and have used my share of down and the "high tech" stuff. I keep going back to wool and poly. Layers are the way to go. My poly on the skin and merano over work great. Then add whatever you like. For outer I use wool and/or fleece. Most all of my deer hunting is done in Southernmost Illinois. We see widely varied temps through out the season.

That being said when it gets down past 20 deg I think twice about going. Sometimes I even wait for it to warm up.

This Sitka stuff has gotten all kinds of press... The camo pattern looks neat. The cost to build a really efficient and all around set of clothing seems a bit high to me.... Not that wool, good wool, is not expensive. Who knows... If they were to say "here try this", I might change my mind. They won't cause I am an old guy and they are trying to establish a customer base with the younger crowd. I would if I was them.

JMHO
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
I've got a 90% jacket and a face-mask thingy and they are the cats meow for active hunting in mild to cool weather.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »
Core, 2- traverse shirts, Kelvin jacket and stratus jacket, with core bottom, travers bottom and stratus bibs. lets me sit all day in a treestand at temps as low as 17 dergrees with low wind less than 10 miles per hour.
I where 3 or four hats including Stika. Head gerar is very important , but often over looked.

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »
Mike, Given the choice between the 90% jacket and the Celsius which one would would you choose? My temp range 25-30 to 70's where I hunt.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
I spent Thanksgiving week in Kansas hunting in my Sitka Gear.  For 25-30 you can get by with traverse top and bottom, 90% top and bottom and a Kelvin vest.

For more warmth, you could substitute stratus or Celsius as an outer layer.

We had a few days of 14 degree low and it was 19 when I would get out if my stand at noon.  I wore traverse, Kelvin jacket and bottom, and stratus bib and jacket.  I was toasty.

Like Mike said, a good hat or three is critical    :D

I am asking that next year the Sitka boys add a hat and hand muff to the Kelvin line.

AND referencing above about sweating on your way in to stand; I have purposely worn everything and tried to get overheated as a test.  That is one of the things I love about the Sitka Gear--no difference.  After a few minutes you are comfortable and can sit as long as you want with no loss of performance.

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
We sell the Sitka Gear line of hunting clothing because we feel it's the best hunting clothing out there.  We can (and all did at some point) hunt in cotton clothing or some other form of clothing that's not all that efficient or suitable for hunting.  None of us absolutely have to wear the best hunting clothing in order to hunt.  However, for hunting hard I've never found any purpose-built hunting clothing that's the equal of SG.

As much as 90% of a body's heat loss can come from the head and the neck area.  Seal off the neck (avoid "the dreaded bellows effect"), insulate the head very well, and you're miles ahead of the game.

A bit later in the year, and definitely at Kalamazoo, we'll be having a sale on the 2010 gear we have left in stock (getting ready for the 2011 inventory!).

John

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
I don't own a lot of it but the traverse under layer is the best I've ever owned. The outerwear runs small, underwear runs normal size.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
I've only owned a second hand 90% jacket. Its nice but not worth all the extra money in my opinion. I've hunted every province of Canada (except BC),  the isle of Newfoundland, 13,000 feet in Colorado, and many other states. I've experienced alot of different climates and terrain and have done fine. I went the whole King Of The Mountain route for a while and realized how much money I had blown. Great stuff but way too much money. You can go cheaper, save some bucks and still brave the elements just fine.  If you've got the dough to blow, go for it. But you definitely dont NEED it for the same comfort level.
David M. Conroy

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
Problem with those fancy high tech duds, next year they're going come up with something we want even more. Even the low tech stuff sellers like Filson will make you feel the same. Layer up and leave the cotton at home and you'll be fine. Besides, in alot of parts, 25-30 f is a nice spring day :-)

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 02:56:00 AM »
Love the Sitka Gear.  Especially the Kelvin insulating layer which is REALLY warm.  The Sitka system is made to layer.  I don't have time this second to elaborate, but the Kelvin top and bottom are my favorite pieces in the lineup.  Very warm with tremendous heat:weight ratio.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 07:51:00 AM »
I can elaborate a tad for Bryce...

A lot of people walk up to the Kelvin pieces and brush their finger against it.  It is loud.  Well, it is not supposed to be worn as an outer layer.  The same material that makes it loud also makes it slippery.  When you put any of the layers over it, as you are supposed to and as you must do to use it properly, a 90% Jacket, Ascent Jacket, Stratus or Celsius Jacket slides like hot snot on a cold platter   :D  .  That gives a SILENT combination with a freedom of movement like you are out shooting in your Tshirt.  It is very hard to explain to guys used to wearing bulky wool that grabs at each other on each layer and pulls against itself.  I guess I am just young enough to not be so stubborn I can't try new things and admit when there is a better mousetrap.  I've got a closetfull of top end wool.  I own no warmer jacket than the Kelvin, it weighs about the same as a can of pop and packs down to the size of a Naglene bottle.  

I am sure Bryce has more, AND can paint a better picture, but he is probably in the middle of molding young minds right now   :D

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
I would love to give the stuff a try Steve, it's just not made in a size that fits. It's made and marketed to a certian type of person. I don't see it as being stubborn and it has nothing to do with age.

Like I said, I will stick to my wools. Not because I think it's better, but because it fits.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
Steve:

I think you are addressing me... Bruce...

Yep, I am moulding young minds.. Gotta get a pay check.

I don think I am being stubborn, well perhaps due to my Dutch ancestors...

My real point is the price and I guess the amount of it ya need to get the job done.  Don't know if it would be more or less than other garments but from the way I have heard folks talk it seems like ya need a bunch of stuff. Heck, with this system I can't keep track of this jacket and that vest and these pants and then add this one to that one.... (Oh yea, this you may consider trite but I don't have any place near me that carries it.  I really like to see it before I buy it.)  I have built a selection of hunting garb that suits me.  Some has been expensive and some has not.  

I guess I hit a nerve with you and perhaps I was un fair in my statement because I have not bought any and tried it.  Did not mean to piss ya off. Its the $$$.  Years from now if you still have it and it still works then your investment was worthwhile. Good deal.

For me, I have spent my dollars and grown up with those expenduteres.  I do use new stuff.  Fleece and poly.  I love my merino wool though.

But, I will stand on my comment regarding the marketing of the product.

No harm ment..  JMHO
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
Guys, I was addressing me.  Not you guys at all.  Never intended any negative.  Rereading what I wrote, I can see how it could come across poorly.  Like I said--I am no Bryce.

Bruce, Bryce is a school teacher, at the time I posted, I figured he was getting ready for class with the kids.

Again, no offense intended to anyone but me!

:campfire:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©