3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Un-conventional String silencing techniques  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Un-conventional String silencing techniques
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2010, 07:02:00 AM »
There are a lot of threads dealing with bow silencing. Of course a quiet bow is an asset and a truly noisey one challenging to hunt with. I can also see what fun it would be to many to tinker with this aspect of shooting because after all we don't have any D-loops, untimed cams, 3rd axis leveling etc.

Seriously, I would love to hear one of these bows that folks have really worked on to silence. I have never owned or witnessed another shooter with a silent recurve or longbow. When I put whiskers, limbsaver leaches, or both (on a couple bows) they are as quiet, but not silent, as I expect them to be. I haven't had any deer react to my shot before the arrow hits them.

Maybe I need to record some shots out of various bows I have and play them back. It is quite likely that my perspective as the shooter is causing me to miss something (unitended pun)?

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
You said, like finish work with a sledge hammer. Putting a 14 strand on a #43 bow is the same amount of overkill. I'd put a 'skinny' from SBD on that thing and be done.
Tom

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
I have a 66" long, 42# take down recurve bow strung with a 12 strand Dyna97 bowstring shooting a 637 grain arrow which equates to a 16.15 GPP. Arrow speed isn't too bad, around 153 fps. Great for 20 yards and under shots. The bow is so quiet upon arrow release, I have no string silencers attached to the bowstring since it doesn't need any. Proper brace height also helps. The 42# bow is the top bow in my bow rack.

Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline BamaBarebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »
I put string leaches on mine..worked well, may not be the prettiest things but worked
Bama Bows Hunter 53lbs @ 28”
Genesis 27:3

Offline Longspur77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
I like those silencers, never seen that before
62" Blacktail Elite VL
60" Morrison Cheyenne

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2010, 08:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by onewhohasfun:
You said, like finish work with a sledge hammer. Putting a 14 strand on a #43 bow is the same amount of overkill. I'd put a 'skinny' from SBD on that thing and be done.
I didn't choose that string.
I have a new one coming from Chad.
I was just trying to get hunting ready with a new bow. Had 3 days from receiving bow till the hunt. Once the string comes in it'll all start over...kinda fun!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2010, 08:13:00 AM »
The string leeches are always an idea.
Just sorta pricey. I enjoy trying to figure out a cheap and just as good if not better approach to things.....for better or worse    :knothead:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »
Night Wing...

Nice sounding setup.
Good looking display/storage area you have there.
Looks right.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2010, 08:34:00 AM »
Zradix,

The second bow in the photo with the string silencers attached to the bowstring is my 66" long, 37# take down recurve. The bowstring on it is the factory 13 strand Dyna97 bowstring that came with it and the string silencer cat whiskers were already attached to it. It really doesn't need any string silencers either, but I hate wasting a good bowstring. When the bowstring or serving wears out, I'll put either a 10 or 12 strand Dyna97 bowstring on it. When I do, I won't attach any string silencers to it.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
Waste not want not.

That's my goal too.
Find a way to tune it well without using anything on the string.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »
I use my own Beaver silencers from tanned beaver hide. Best string silencers I have ever found and tough as nails.

My grizzly is whisper quiet with woodies or carbons, makes no difference.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2010, 12:51:00 PM »
I use two woolie whispers they work fine.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2010, 01:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
Have you tried beaver balls?
I tried the beaver balls once. They were really loud. Loosed the string and that little sucker started squealing like a little girl.  :thumbsup:
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
I like wool yarn the best but I don't like a big glob of it on either end, I think it should be elongated and the lenght of the silencer stretched out to about at least 3 and no more than 4 inches and the yarn cut down so it only puffs out about a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.. Make it look less like a ball and more like a cattail. this way  it picks up less stickers and it quietens down the string better.

Offline wildgame

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by onewhohasfun:
worked for me,6 and a 8 strand with hush puppies.  :thumbsup:
"go afield with good attitude,and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and fields in which you walk" -Fred Bear

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
I agree Musox is the best !!

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by Zradix:
Waste not want not.

That's my goal too.
Find a way to tune it well without using anything on the string.
Since it's set up and tuned perfectly for bowhunting right now, I don't want to mess with it. When bowhunting season is over in January where I hunt, I'll take off the cat whiskers on the 37# bow and re-tune her since I might have to change the brace height.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2010, 09:24:00 AM »
I don't blame you.
I wasn't trying to "Tell you" how to tune your setup.
I should have worded it "My goal is to find a way to tune the bow without putting anything on the string also"
Wish you luck.
Every bow/setup is a unique puzzle waiting for someone to unlock its secrets...kinda like a lady..   :)  

My season is till Jan here too.
Then preparations start anew...lol

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
Hey....That was post #1000 woohooo

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
I have a recurve that was loud, used rubber bands on it, that made pretty quiet, but what really worked well was the True Ball spiders, and I read somewhere they were not supposed to work.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©