3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting with an Olympic Recurve  (Read 452 times)

Offline bamacrazy

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting with an Olympic Recurve
« on: December 04, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
Any of you guys hunt with an olympic type recurve? I recently bought a 21" Hoyt Excel riser and Winstorm limbs. Its quite, has a smooth draw to my 29.5 DL, and shoots dead on. Hope to take it deer hunting in the next week or two. I'd like to try out a set of short limbs on it.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting with an Olympic Recurve
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
Oh heck yeah, for many years. It gets a bit cold in the hand though. I cover them with limbskins all the way to the sight window, and up to the handle. Up to 68" also. Lots of fun.
David M. Conroy

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with this setup.

The fact it is not camo would make some think otherwise but the fact is, it doesnt really matter.  As long as the weight is legal (the Olympic bows tend to run light I have seen)

Back in my compound days I hunted with a CHROME!!?? Mathews Commander.  Shot a few nice does with it too.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
I used to hunt with a 66" 45# Bear polar. It was a target bow. Smooth draw and shot like it had eyes.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
My first lefty bow was blue and chrome. I used a few acres of tape to hide it from me.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by bamacrazy:
Any of you guys hunt with an olympic type recurve? I recently bought a 21" Hoyt Excel riser and Winstorm limbs. Its quite, has a smooth draw to my 29.5 DL, and shoots dead on. Hope to take it deer hunting in the next week or two. I'd like to try out a set of short limbs on it.
What draw weight is it at your 29.5"?  If it is at least 40# use a very sharp two-edge broadhead and have at it.  NY requires at least 35# draw weight.  Check your state's regulations.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »
You can get Olympic limbs up to 100 pounds. 50 is normally the max but a few companys will custom make them. My friend had a set made at 95# from Belgium for hunting Africa. A 70 inch FITA style curve shooting 95 pound limbs! It was awesome! I custom painted a savannah grass type camo on it.
My setup is a Greenhorn B+ riser with 58# Ellipse limbs. The first set ever made. Makes a 66-68 inch bow depending on riser size.
WAY outperforms any custom wood bow out there, but I'll shoot a woodie any day myself. I'm much more into the custom trad bows nowadays.
David M. Conroy

Offline Bald Spot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
Hunting with an Olympic bow sounds like a grand idea to me, and you wouldn't be the first to try it.  Let's see, long, smooth shooting limbs, sufficient speed, easy to shoot accurately, what's not to like about that for a hunting rig.

BS

Offline bamacrazy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 11:10:00 AM »
Draws 48 at 29.5". The Winstorm limbs are rated at #42@28 on a 25" riser. You gain about #4 by dropping from a 25" riser to a 21".

Offline bamacrazy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
My regular hunting bow is a #65@30 Chekmate King's Pawn. Its a great bow, but I hit more X's with the Hoyt.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
Sounds like a great set up to me . I still use a similar set up occasionally
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »
My experience with FITA bows has them out performing most hunting recurves that were made in the early 70s, even at a ten or twelve pound disadvantage.  I read of one lady that shot three bodkins through a buck with a 32 pound black widow target bow, the wife of a regular writer for one of the big three outdoor magazines, Emery Lucille. They are a bit heavy in hand for an all day excursion.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©