3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where to hunt elk?  (Read 307 times)

Offline jfelkins

• Trad Bowhunter
Where to hunt elk?
« on: December 04, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
Within the next few years I want to do a DIY public land elk hunt. Which state is best for this? Should I be buying points? Thanks for tips.
Chekmate TD Hunter II

Love many, trust few, row your own canoe!

Offline jfelkins

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where to hunt elk?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
PS I'm not asking for someone to tell me about their secret spot. I'm just looking for thoughts on different states.  We have a few elk in TN but not much hunting yet.
Chekmate TD Hunter II

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
I have done some research, and I would, right now anyway, go to Colorado.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
I've hunted Co for over 20 years and a few other states. If I can help you out in Co let me know.
 Probably Montana would be your best bet with much less hunter pressure.

Co has a excellent F&G website. Go to the "Map It" section and you can search all of the units with overlays of different criteria. Elk summer range is probably the best for Archery seasons.
 I've hunted many of the OTC units in the SW corner which will be a poke for you.
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
Yellowstone National Park. I seen lots of them there.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
There are a few states to hunt elk in. If you want a very big bull, you'll want to start putting in for limited entry hunts for a better chance. If you want to hunt elk, there are a lot of folks on here willing to help. But you need to narrow your choices down, to which state, what time of year, etc. You'll get a lot more specific answers. Good luck!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Cottonwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
NW Montana as the Flathead National Forest alone is 2.3 million acres.
Member: Montana Bowhunters Association, Traditional Bowhunters of Montana

"I don't bowhunt for a living... but I live to bowhunt the traditional way!"

Offline peter c iacavazzi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
Montana has a huge wolf problem and our elk hunting has definitely suffered. I would look to Colorado or Utah. Those 2 states have not had a wolf problem...yet.

Peter

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
Start applying in all the western states that you would consider hunting in.  Arizona and Utah require that you buy a nonresident hunting license just to apply.  New Mexico doesn't.  It can take a long time to draw some of these tags so be prepared for it.  In the mean time, Colorado is a good place to cut your teeth for the first time elk hunter.  Lots of elk and lots of country.  Good luck!
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline jfelkins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
Thanks all.

Bigsneaky, that sounds like a great strategy. I'm blessed enough to have a wife that thinks it would be "pretty" to have an elk above to fireplace so of course I want to help with that by getting a nice bull! That said putting some elk in the freezer would be a good way to get started.
Chekmate TD Hunter II

Offline Red Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
NM Unit 16A, D or 15. The Gila NF is huge with lots of elk.

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
I am glad this was brought up. I want to try for a elk in the next couple years. I have not hunted elk, mostly because I hear how expensive it can be.
USMC 82-86

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »
I second Big Sneeky. Don't think of this as a one time thing. Make a long term plan to hunt multiple years in different states. Buy points and get your name in as many hats as you can. The points can get fairly expensive, but consider it part of the total cost of becoming an elk hunter and you can set yourself up for some fantastic hunting down the road.

Besides application fees in multiple states, hunting elk does not have to be a high cost hunt. It is very possible to hunt elk DIY for $1,000 - $1,500 per year.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
Where is the best opportunity for the DIY hunts? These prices are 10 to 15 times cheaper than I have seen.
USMC 82-86

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
Virtually every state has DIY opportunities.  There are millions of acres of National Forest, BLM, and State land that is open to all of us.

Tags are the biggest part of the expenses.  Once that is taken care of it just takes gasoline to get there and some food to eat (which you do even if you stay home!)  Of course, there is some equipment and gear you would need to accumulate if you don't have it already.  

It takes some planning, and the learning curve is much steeper than if you pay to follow a guide around, but the rewards are immense, and it is within the price range of almost any bowhunter that sets his or her mind to it.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
Coming from Tennessee or other midwest states, Colorado is where I'd be looking first, then Wyoming and New Mexico. From California, I'd go to Oregon, you can buy archery tags over the counter and hunt most of the state, either sex.  Elk hunting is definitely not a one time thing, it gets in your blood and life just isn't the same if you don't go.  As Whip already said, it doesn't have to be expensive, just do some planning and preparation.  And don't go for just a week, plan on taking two weeks off if you can swing it, with travel and acclimatization time, a week is just not enough.  Planning, saving,  research and fitness will get you a long way elk hunting.  Stop dreaming and GO!

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 12:04:00 AM »
Thanks sounds good. I guess I just never gave it a second thought after I got the sticker shock. My brother and I looked into it a few years back and saw hunts from $5,000-20,000. We both said we will stick with deer,hogs, and turkey and bear maybe. I will look into it a little more now.
USMC 82-86

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 12:49:00 AM »
Dont forget to look at Idaho.Thats all Im gonna say.Good Luck

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
With the hunts I do the two biggest expenses are tags and gas/fuel.  I have hunted DIY in CO & Mont. for me they are both great.  The fishing is better in Mont.  One thing I would add is don't kill yourself getting in.  Its better to be able to hunt hard after you get there than to spend a day or two getting over the pack in.  Particularly if your coming from the flat land and base above 10,000'

MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©