3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Homemade target less than $15  (Read 290 times)

Offline Tav

• Trad Bowhunter
Homemade target less than $15
« on: December 04, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
Just a suggestion.....I bought a burlap coffee bean bag and had everybody I know bring me their plastic grocery bags.  Stuffed it full of the bags, sew it up, and it makes a great field tip target.  I hung it up in my basement so I can blind bale whenever I want.  Last touch was to cut a burlap bag in half pin it to the wall and use a projector to project an image of a deer, or whatever, on the bag then traced it with a marker and pin it on my stuffed bag.  All that's left is to make a stand for it which will cost an extra $5-$10.  then I have my own pseudo-3D target for less than $15.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Homemade target less than $15
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
I get a SuperSack, they come in various sizes. I stuff mine with plastic sheeting free from the lumber yards.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
I have been using the $1 plastic grain sacks with various stuff packed in them.  I have a couple with the plastic grocery bag stuffing, but they don't work that well.  They shred up to fast and are too thin of a material to get a lot of draw on the shaft to slow it down.  Some old rags and the like mixed in helps.  They are about free so no complaints.  I plan to try and find some heavier plastic.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Tav

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
I forgot to mention that I found some heavy shrink wrap?? that was on a shipped filing cabinet and used that as a stiffener and first layer.  I only have about 60 shots in it right now.  only problem is that some of the bags poke out in the back.  But heck, without the stand it's $3.  I like the idea of mixing in some rags.

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
For BH's, I use a wax box I filled with cans of the foam insulation
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by beendare:
Unfamiliar with a wax box.....got pics?
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
boogie boards made great foam targets for me, can take hundreds maybe thousands of shots easy, its a foam targets pretty much

http://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/morey-cruiser-425-bodyboard.html

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Green:

Unfamiliar with a wax box.....got pics? [/b]
Some food items come in wax covered/soaked cardboard boxes.

I just use a small box that'll hold about two or three of those spray foam cans. Easy repairs too. Just get another can every so often to touch it up.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by xtrema312:
I have been using the $1 plastic grain sacks with various stuff packed in them.  I have a couple with the plastic grocery bag stuffing, but they don't work that well.  They shred up to fast and are too thin of a material to get a lot of draw on the shaft to slow it down.  Some old rags and the like mixed in helps.  They are about free so no complaints.  I plan to try and find some heavier plastic.
This is what I use.  For the plastic sacks you have to use a stick and shove them in the corners and make sure that you pack the bags in as tightly as you can pack them.  Believe me if they're good and tight they'll stop your arrows.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:

Originally posted by Green:

Unfamiliar with a wax box.....got pics? [/b]
Some food items come in wax covered/soaked cardboard boxes.

I just use a small box that'll hold about two or three of those spray foam cans. Easy repairs too. Just get another can every so often to touch it up. [/b]
Thanks Bud....I think I"m going to give this a try....certainly sounds like a workable broadhead target.  Probably need to go see the produce guy for a waxed box...oh wait, my wife has.....aw never mind...wrong forum.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
Feed sacks filled with scrap plastic shrink wrap.

58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 10:44:00 PM »
Thanks for the motivation!

I needed to re-bag some of my targets and maybe add some more but I had been procrastinating.

Anyway I got on the phone and called a couple of coffee houses in Columbia and found a source for the heavy bean bags 3 for $5.

Thanks again! I have to be in Columbia Monday so I'll plan out my trip and pick up about 6 of them.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
Plastic seed bags work perfect.

I prefer heavy plastic over shrink wrap.  My arrows always want to stick to the shrink wrap.  I get mine fromt he local Furniture Factory Outlet.  They throw it away in dumpster loads every day.

A seed sack, five plastic wire ties and a frfeebie hunk of plastic.  Less than a dollar and I get a year worth of shooting.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline highnoonhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 12:46:00 AM »
If you have a leatherworker nearby, see if they will let you have their scraps.

I keep all my bits and pieces and put them in sacks. The sacks usually rot way before the innards need replaced. Everytime I buy my dogfood in the 50# sacks I save it to put over the old sack.

Only downside, is unlike plastic, the leather bits will soak water and freeze in the winter time.
Member: Christian Bowhunters of America
Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America
International Internet Leathercrafters' Guild, Inc.
-
Holmes Mongoose reverse handle longbow. 63" 63@28
Longriver Longbow: 69" 69@28
Kolometz Kustom Longbow 66" 76@28

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 11:05:00 AM »
I've used burlap bags stuffed with grocery bags, plastic wrap, fertalizer and soil bags for years. I like to make a few and suspend them sideways throughout my woods. They are similar in size to a deers body. I don't add and drawings to them because on each shot I like to decide which dirrection they are facing and imagine the "spot" I will hit. If you are honest with yourself about your hits it is a great tool to prepare for deer hunting. I've never seen a deer with his vitals marked out on it's sides.
 I tried the plastic woven feed sacks but the sun deteriorates them quickly. If you spray your burlap with Thompsons(or other) water sealers or can buy treated burlap bags they will last all season or longer.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
Hmmm I wonder how much spray foam it would take t fill the sack.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
I have a box that is about 24"x18"x6" I filled with four of the extra expanding cans. At $6 a can I have nearly enough in it as a bought target. And the four cans were not enough to fill it. It does real well. Stops broadheads just fine. But I got a big block at wallyworld for $40 and haven't even put an arrow into it yet.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
Burlap or feed bag filled with mulch.
You might have to spend a buck on the bag though.
For an extra couple of bucks, you can get a can of black spray paint and paint the outline of a deer body, and the 'negative' area of the bag that is not deer, so the burlap brown is the deer body. From shooting distance, it looks like a real deer............without a head and feet :-)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©