3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: who can shoot righty and lefty?  (Read 316 times)

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
who can shoot righty and lefty?
« on: December 05, 2010, 12:56:00 AM »
Been shooting right handed my whole life, but do a lot of things lefty and am trying to get the feel for shooting left handed. I made up a rt/lft shooting long bow about 20# @28" to start with. If I get used to it, I'll be looking to get one of those nice double shelf Hill long bows. If you can shoot both ways, jst like to here an aye!     :archer2:
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: who can shoot righty and lefty?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 01:01:00 AM »
Hockey yes, archery no.

Offline Conner Parry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 01:12:00 AM »
My old boss at the archery shop where I worked could do it. He shot both righty and lefty with equal skill, but he shot every day. I notice that E. Donnell Thomas Jr. takes photos with right and left handed bows so I assume he shoots both. If you look closely at the pictures, Dave Windaur looks like he can shoot both as well.
Shoot Straight

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 01:25:00 AM »
Leo Markert and Justin Newell can. They habitually practice lefty and righy. If you PM thme, they might give you tips.

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 02:56:00 AM »
I can, sort of.  I'm right handed but play with left hand bows, though I'm not consistent enough to hunt left handed.  Being left eye dominant is what urged me to try shooting left handed.

Offline nd chickenman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 07:00:00 AM »
I can shoot either way, Im naturally a lefty but have more right handed bows, so I shoot right handed. Got started out with right handed bows and just kept doing it that way

Offline Anaconda12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 07:05:00 AM »
Luck has nothing to do with it, just Boot leather and a GWP.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 07:11:00 AM »
I shot RH for 28 years and LH since 1996.  I can shoot both ways but my mind likes to do flip-flops and turn inside out when I shoot RH -- I have to concentrate much more on the process as a righty. I had to shoot righty during a training I conducted in England on Nov. 22nd because there was no LH bow available.

I don't consider RH shooting as part of my hunting repertoire though.

Would it be handy not to have to turn in a tree stand to get the left shot, you bet.  It takes a lot of effort to have nearly identical form on both sides which would be fairly important in order for the same arrow to work equally well LH and RH. As you know, it isn't just the dynamics of the bow and arrow that affect flight, our form is part of the formula also.

Finally, I am so fond of the graceful lines of standard recurve bows I wouldn't personally have any interest in boogering up those lines with an ambidextrous grip/bow shelf.

Offline CG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »
I switched to LH some years ago due to tendonitis. Still shoot with both (though not at the same time lol)

I guess I shoot about as accurately with either, but not making any representation about just how accurate that is!

My draw length is a little shorter LH on purpose-I keep my bow arm bent slightly more

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »
I do everything right handed beside shooting a bow. 99% of my bows are lefties, but I keep a couple righties. I shoot left handed better probably due to most of my shooting left handed.
I've found that when I'm having form issues, picking up a rightie for a few days solves the problem.

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
It seems to me that armed with a double-shelf Hill, and the ability to use either hand, you could hunt with ULTRA versatility, capable of setting up in any spot and/or pivoting and shooting in any position necessary. VERY COOL!   :thumbsup:
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline tree dancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
Shot left hand fifty plus years.
Been shooting right hand for two years.
My shooting is so much better now.

Offline Craig Schoneberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
Am right handed but shoot left handed.  Lost my right eye 47 years ago so switched to a left hand bow at that time.  Can still shoot right handed just as well.  Have a '56 double shelf Bear Kodiak that I've used a few times - kind of nice when you can't get turned around in the stand shooting left handed . . .
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member
Nebraska Bowhunters Association Life Member
Nebraska Traditional Archers Life Member
Traditional Archers of Nevada Founding Member
Colorado Traditional Archers Society

Offline chad graham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
i shot right all my life until 4 years ago,switched due to left eye dominant.i still shoot right now and then,i shoot better left.

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
I shoot primarily LH but my son shoots RH and I can shoot his bows pretty accurately so...AYE do!
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
I shoot from both sides, instinctively with split finger form the right and aim with a peripheral gap similar to Howard Hill using three under and from the left.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
I shoot right handed but tried left. Never could keep the arrow on the shelf and draw so I turned the bow horizional and did shoot one arrow. My hat is off to you guys that can do that.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Charles K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2010, 04:29:00 PM »
yes.....can also golf both ways.....but am mostly lefty

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
I have always been able to shoot both sides, most of my bows are right but lately I have been shooting mostly left.  I can shoot tighter groups left handed, but I am faster and better at moving targets from the right.  I have two identical Robertsons, poundage wise, that I can switch every shot if I want and it takes nothing in my head to compensate for the change.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©