3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Time to punch my Kansas buck tag!! (Hard work and a little luck pays off "RECOVERED")  (Read 1554 times)

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks everybody!!

Hookeye, "sad" means nothing against rifle hunters at all, I use muzzle loaders and rifles my self. "sad" means I will miss the big guy and it sure was fun trying to out smart him and chasing him around.

Sorry if this offended you Anthony I modified the thread for ya it wasn't what I was trying to say.    :wavey:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
I thought you might have meant it that way    ;)    but you did call out specifically the other hunter's equipment type.

Lets hope that whoever finds any of our arrow wounded and lost game is of a kindred spirit and makes sound commentary (if any).

No offense taken, as I have really thick hide (and skull). Just trying to get others to see how divisive some comments can be..........it's not like we don't have enough less than polished hunters slamming us arrow flippers.

Just trying to get away from the "us and them" and make it more of a "we" thing.
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
Hate that it went down the way it did. Great story and Pics. Good Job with the Buck Tag.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Tracy, Cogratulations on an outstanding season. In the time I've known you you've been nothing but a class act. Hope things start looking up, we all lose one now and then, but it really makes you feel rotten not to complete a blood trail. Good luck with the does.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
Sorry to hear that Tracy.  Thats tough when you had such a good blood trail to begin with.

Makes me think (for about the thousandth time) how much I wish I kept a trained blood trailing dog for a pet.  My old pheasant hunting lab is old so maybe in the future.  

Love those trail cam pics...enjoyed the read.  Good luck with the late season does.

Offline Tyke

• Trad Bowhunter
I did a similar thing 15 or 20 years ago.  I lost a buck the first day of rifle season, and while I didn't actually fill out my tag, I just quit hunting until doe season came.  I knew that buck was dead and didn't feel right about hunting another one. Never regretted it.
only those who attempt the absurd, achieve the impossible.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Sorry to hear that Tracy. That is just strange.  Commendable punching the tag.  Thanks for sharing.  

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hard to believe with that blood trail that he didn't drop sooner.  They are an incredibly strong animal, just one of the things that makes them so amazing to pursue.  Thanks for sharing all your adventures from the season, even those that went "wrong".
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
This is a perfect example of hunting for all the right reasons.

Good luck on some late season does.  :campfire:

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
I hear you on how hard it is to loose a animal.

A guy asked if I would help him find a deer he shot with training wheels at 48yrds. We spent 5 hours at night looking and had great blood than loose it. Pick it back up ect ect ect.
He gave up after the last spot we lost him.

I had a hard time sleeping and went back the next day. I found that nice 8pt with a hole in the neck 30yards from our last spot.. He had bleed out and I called to tell the guy his deer was waiting for him. He was VERY happy and I think I changed him about Quiting.

I have lost a deer or two for one reason or another but, IF we do as YOU did and try our best it is all that is asked!

Love to follow your stories.

Tim

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hats off to you sir! You have my respect as well.

Keeping the Faith!
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
Tough season all 'round, buddy.  Nobody puts in more time and effort than you and the boys...

Enjoy the rest of the season, still lots of huntin' to be done!

:archer:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
He may very well still be alive.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks for the kind words and I really wish I could say that this was the only deer that I have ever lost but it's not. The feelings do not change no matter what the animal is and the lost trails.

All we can do is are best and most of the time that is enough. I don't know why I feel so strongly about this deer, He wasn't some big monster buck Maybe it's just me getting older, Maybe it's the thought that I had made a pretty good shot and not recovered him. I don't know and probably never will know.

I do know there will be more shots and more deer that's a given and I will always enjoy chasing them around and trying to out smart them one way or another. I'm sure they will win most of the time    :bigsmyl:      :archer:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
Tracy,

I like how you have handled this whole thread. I wouldn't expect anything less from you.  Class act!

I'm guessing I will read another one of your post later this winter or fall when you finally find him.  You cover enough ground I bet you will run across him. That whole deal of the unknown and unanswered questions is what makes it even tougher.

Good luck with the does.

P.S. Hey when you get a chance tell me about your sleeping bag.  I'm guessing you are using it like a body warming suit?
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wow, what a read! I'm sorry that you didn't find your buck. I'm also thankful that you shared your thoughts and emotions with us so openly and honestly. I know how you feel, but am not sure I could articulate it so well. Good luck with your late season doe hunts.

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
Keep on goingK.S.I too feel your pain and have been there.Must have just missed the lungs,but I would bet you got liver and deer are tough animals thats instinct to survive is amazing.Ive had a couple of liver shot animals go a long way,unlike a buddy of mine that has hit deer and elk bad and they just fall down for the guy.Anyhow ,I enjoyed you sharing and you did the best you could do and thats all a guy can do.I have often wished a guy could bring in a tracking dog ,but my state wont let you.Youll get him next time! Endevour to perservere.

Offline droptine82

• Trad Bowhunter
Very very classy.  Keep your head up.  I pray you find him in the near future.  I feel horrible for you as I cant say it has never happened to me.  Gutwrenching.
JT

Offline hightop_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
An honorable gesture.
you are a true hunter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©