3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: shelter  (Read 183 times)

Offline dot 1

• Trad Bowhunter
shelter
« on: December 05, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
Hey guys, has anyone used any of kifarus lighter tipis and stoves on backpack hunts? Are they a realistic combo, worth the money and keep you warm? tired of freezing on late season back country hunts. thanks.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shelter
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 03:14:00 AM »
Check the reviews on their site. There are some alaskan fur trappers who spend months in them.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
I have a six-person Tipee with the medium stove. That's about the right size for two people and their gear. Haven't used it in in really cold weather. Collects a lot of moisture on the inside during mild weather.  Usually not a problem because it just runs down the tent sides to the ground.  However, if it starts to rain, the rain knocks the moisture off inside the tent such that it feels like it's misting inside.  Either that, or the rain is coming through the tent.  I'm not sure which is happening. I'm not talking the seams, but the entire tent.  Of course, the stove heats it up quickly and will quickly dry the walls, even when it's raining. It and the stove are light and easy to pack and set up.  Very stable as well.  I've done a lot of cold (spike) camping over the years, and it's really nice to have the luxury of the stove.

I've been told that one reason moisture collects on the walls is a lack of a ground cloth.  I usually don't use one.  In the future, I probably will, unless hunting in dry country/western states.

Offline Preston Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 11:27:00 AM »
I have a Kifaru 8 man and stove, its awesome! I been in it during heavy snow and single digit temps and stayed comfy, only problem is the fire box isnt big and burns down fast. Like Orion, condensation bothered me, I got a liner and that cured it. Its amazing how compact this thing is.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
If there is moisture inside the tent and its made of cotton canvas its either condensation or its leaking.  If its leaking likely the canvas has not swelled or the weave of the canvas is too open.

When we made tipi's we used a treated army duct weave which is extreamly tight to start with befor the treatment.  Ours, once sealed (read wet down and allowed to dry) would shed water like a duck.

As to the ground cloth...  If it is condensation it is not the ground cloth...  It means there is not enough ventelation in the tent to allow it to dry.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline dot 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
thanks for the honest info guys. this is a good place.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 06:57:00 AM »
I've used a 4 man (way too small) and a 16 man (very nice)  The liner is the key to stopping the condesation.  The little stove in the 4 man was cute and heated it well but didn't hold wood for more then an hours burn.

John has a titanium stove for his big one and it's the ticket for fly in hunts like we did for moose in Alaska.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Preston Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 07:47:00 AM »
Randy, if you have no first hand experience with Kifaru shelters, I will add. They are very easy and fast to set up. Quality  and service is second to none. They really fit well with traditional archery. Nothing like seeing the tipi with smoke drifting out the stove pipe on a cold fall day. The floorless design is great if its raining or snowing just wear your boots in with no worry of a mess. If your clothes get wet it has built in hangers near the top where the heat collects.

Offline dot 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 12:55:00 AM »
im pretty sure im gonna buy the new sawtooth tent and a small or medium stove, im sure that i can pack the stuff where i go and the heat will be fabulous
! I love new gear and im pumped. thanks.

Offline Knotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
I love using a bivy and tarp. Fast, light warm and flexible. Not everyone's cup of tea but certainly not cold if done right.
56" TD Checkmate Hunter, #55@28
66" Checkmate Crusader, #60@28
60" Meland Pronghorn LB, 65@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©