3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Would you buy a new Palmer?  (Read 1173 times)

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Would you buy a new Palmer?
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by MikeS:
I have a double carbon that shoots great.  But, it developed a crack while I was in Africa last July.  They don't even have the courtesy to reply to your emails!
Mike
MikeS,

I too once owned a Palmer recurve.  It was a great shooting bow.  Within a week of receiving the bow I found about a half dozen cracks in the bow's Dymondwood riser.  I shipped it back to Mike and asked for a replacement riser.  I didn't hear anything from him for about 6 weeks.  I sent emails and as you said received no response.  I finally called and reached his wife and she said he wasn't home but I could reach him on his cell phone.

I called him and talked to him.  He told me he was going to do as he did with your riser "Patch it with glue, all of the cracks are across the grain."  I told him that was unacceptable to me with one crack in particular.  There was a crack running with the grain thatstarted about 6" below the shelf, went up into the shelf and about half the depth of the shelf.  I told him I wanted a new riser.

About 8 weeks later I received a new riser.  I didn't even assemble the bow.  I advertised it for sale as soon as I received the new riser.  The limbs were the 7 layer double carbon and were the second fastest recurve limbs I've owned, next to the Border Black Douglas HexIV limbed recurve.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline BCD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2007, 11:12:00 AM »
As stated previously, I have heard of the customer service issues, but the more I research this, it seems that there are an awful lot of Palmers that develop flaws-cracked risers, cracked limbs, finish coming off, etc. Any comments regarding this?

BD
BCD

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2007, 12:01:00 PM »
Hmm...after Bill's statement, I retract my earlier one about even considering a used model...
"When you catch Hell--DROP IT!!  When you're going thru Hell--DON'T STOP!!"

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2007, 12:36:00 PM »
Would I buy a new one....no.

I have owned several used Palmers in the past and never had a structual issue with any of them. They all were fast,good shooting bows. But, I too have heard these stories about customer service and it stikes me as odd that someone could come across as so flip about issues arriving for one of their products. Custom bows airn't cheap for a workin/family man and one deserve's to have issues resolved in a timely manner, in my opinion.

I had a Big East at one time. It was a nice looking and good shooting bow but when Jr. flaked out, I traded it off because I didn't want to be tied to him in any way.....and never looked back. Take it for what it is.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline longbawl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »
I just bought a used 1999 double carbon classic.Its 50#@29 i draw 28 It is the smoothest an fastest bow i have ever shot an after some tuning is the quietest also.I also read about the poor customer service.I thought im buying a used bow thats 8 years old.If the bow is in good shape it should be ok. I have given the bow a good going over.An i cant find anything wrong with it. I don't regret buying this bow one bit. Would i buy a new palmer i would have to talk to the man first.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
I have 2 Palmer and 2 Bob Lee bows.  The Palmers are a tad faster and the Lee's are a little more quiet.  I like the grip on the Palmer a bit better, probably because it has a more narrow "throat".

Bottom line is, if you really want a Palmer, get one used and see how it goes.  If you want a very similar bow, get a Bob Lee.  The bow I ordered from Mike was done on time and I haven't needed any service so I can't comment on that aspect, but there seem to be a bunch of unhappy folks out there.  I can tell you that someone has always answered the phone at Bob Lee's shop.

Offline BCD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2007, 01:55:00 PM »
Anyone got a used palmer they would like to sell-looking for something around 47-51# @29?
BCD

Offline MikeS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2007, 04:20:00 PM »
BCD,
I have an older Palmer (not the one I refered to in the post above).  It is a little more poundage than you are looking for.....62 @ 29".  I bought it last winter in case my other riser completely broke, I would still be able to use my limbs with this other Palmer riser.  It is a good shooter.  The first arrow I shot with it up to the range went right into the bull.  The first arrow I shot at a snowshoe hare with it, killed the hare.  I felt it had good karma.  But, like I said in my earlier post, I finished up my own riser and thus do not really need this other Palmer.  If you are interested give me an email at [email protected].  I'll send you a picture if you like.  
Mike

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2007, 06:04:00 PM »
If you have one of the Palmer bows with exotic woods or actionwood for the riser, you probably have yourself a stable bow.  It is the Dymondwood risered bows that have the issues with cracks to my knowledge.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BCD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
Good info Wildman-I'm not so great at telling the wood types. Can I tell by looking at a pic if it is dymondwood or actionwood?

Thank you
BD
BCD

Online Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2007, 10:51:00 AM »
BCD~

I have a used single carbon Palmer for sale...its 64", long, and 48@28"....

email me for details and pics....

[email protected]
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2007, 11:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by BCD:
Good info Wildman-I'm not so great at telling the wood types. Can I tell by looking at a pic if it is dymondwood or actionwood?

Thank you
BD
BD,

Without sounding flippant, the actionwood will look like dyed plywood and the Dymondwood will look more similar to real wood, at least the Rosewood, Cocobolo and Walnut Dymondwood.  It too is a layered and epoxy impregnated material, but it looks more woodish to me than plywoodish than actionwood, if that makes sense.

Actionwood usually comes in only gray, brown and camo.  Dymondwood is available in a rainbow of colors and combinations of various colors.

To see some examples check out the Morrison Archery website and you will see some excellent examples of Dymondwood risers.  And check out the Jeffery Archery website and you will see some excellent examples of Actionwood risers.

Below is a link to a Wine Dymondwood riser at Morrison Archery:

http://www.morrisonarchery.com/In_Stock_bows/ISshawnee_Limbs/ISshawneeRisers/7082.jpg

Below is a link to an Actionwood riser at Jeffery Archery:

http://www.jefferyarchery.com/shop/enter.html

Scroll down and click on the pic with the three risers and you will see an enlarged view of 3 different colors of Actionwood risers built by Jeffery Archery.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BCD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2007, 04:57:00 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys-not sure that a new one is an option as I can't get Mike to respond anyway. Those of you who did talk to him, how long did and take and how many calls?

If anyone else has a used one, I'm still looking for something between 47-51 lbs @ 29 inches with quiver inserts and 60-62 inches in length (brown in color preferred).

BD
BCD

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »
You can get all that with a Bob Lee and use while looking for your Palmer and maybe when you find one you might not want it anymore.Kip

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©