3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ever duck hunted with a trad bow?  (Read 867 times)

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
ever duck hunted with a trad bow?
« on: December 06, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »
just wondering if anyone else has duck hunted with a trad bow.i used to have a nice little pond that nobody hunted but me.i killed several greenheads as they came in to my decoys and calling.very fun stuff.another method i used was spot and stalk on the irrigation ditches.i even got a canadian goose that way.pretty good practice to.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ever duck hunted with a trad bow?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »
Most of the deer I shoot at, duck. Does that count?
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
hahahahahahaaa....NO
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
I hunt ducks quite often. Have done the spot and stalk in ditches and small ponds, but really prefer hunting over decoys just as if using a shotgun. In fact I use a longbow while hunting with guys using shotguns. Have made a few pass shots but mostly shoot as they are coming in to land in the decoys.
(The shotgun guys will even sometimes let me shoot first, but they are greedy little SOB's.)

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
never duck hunted, but I know guys that swan hunt every year here in NC.......
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
A couple of years ago a young fellow from alaska came on and was talking about duck hunting with his bow.  He didn't know it was supposed to be hard and limited his first day.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
its pretty cool watching them greenheads come in tilting back and forth then the rush of wings as they make a desperate attempt to flee..in vain..sometimes.  "[dntthnk]"

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
I have done it and plan to do it again if this shoulder and arm ever heal up.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
feelin any better clay?

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 07:25:00 PM »
AFFFFFLACCCCCKKKKKK....had to let that one out man.

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
I wanted to do some Badger hunting near Burns, but the ODFW biologist didn't have any good leads.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
Use broadheads, don't want a get-a-way to make the newspapers...

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
I do it and have a lot of fun.  I can't believe with all these die hard archers, more guys aren't looking for excuses to extend their seasons.  :dunno:

Offline kahunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
I was wondering this very thing.  Duck hunting with a bow would be a blast.  I'm not good enough to try it yet, but I honestly don't think it would be all that hard to hit a mallard as they decoy in.  A pass shot on a teal would be a whole different story!

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
I have taken malards before, but my favorite is geese.  I don't know how many times geese tick me off the whole year, and hunting season is my way to get back at them.  The one in my avatar was a head shot at 25 yards with an Ace Hex head.  It dropped like a sack of potatoes.  I think I was more surprised at the shot instead of the guys I was hunting with, but I played it off great, and I also had another arrow at the ready and was able to get another shot off at the same flock that came thru.  

I also am very happy to chase pheasants with the stick and string.  If you are hunting over dogs, DO NOT USE BROADHEADS.  It is pretty self explanitory, but needs to be mentioned.  You really can't go wrong with ace hex heads.  Judo points tend to just push the birds along (in my experience), and the snarow points (the one's with the wire loops) are just good to look at IMO.  If your not hunting over dogs, bring out the broadheads.  On waterfowl, I love the "Spread Eagle" shot.  If you don't center shot a goose, be prepared to have your cross country shoes on.  Or have a very understanding dog at your side.  

My dog Grizzly (chocolate lab) just looked at me one time when a goose took off across the field.  I guess he had a pretty good memory of the last one giving him a good whooping all the way back to the decoys.  To this day, he will just go over and stand on the birds till one of us gets over to it.  All I can take from this is it hurts to be hit by a good wing while you have a mouthfull of the other wing.  He does the same thing for pheasants.  Alot of guys laugh at this, and I must admit I do too, but this way I get my deep knee bend exercises in when I take him hunting.  It's a team effort.  LOL
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »
i would love to hunt Ducks with a trad Bow but we aint aloud to in New Zealand ya have to shoot em with a shotgun. thats the law full stop. you guys are so lucky
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by kahunter:
I was wondering this very thing.  Duck hunting with a bow would be a blast.  I'm not good enough to try it yet, but I honestly don't think it would be all that hard to hit a mallard as they decoy in.  A pass shot on a teal would be a whole different story!
You had better think again.  Shotgun hunting them is hard, longbow and arrow is just insane, but in the same breath, it is a total blast.  I did take the tail feathers off of a green wing teal 2 years ago and I was extreamly lucky to get that.    Them things can move, not to mention their small size.

One thing I didn't mention in the last post, is if your hunting in water, use carbons.  they float feathers up.  Just a big bobber out there waiting to be retrieved.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
my goose came up from a wide ditch and was goin like hell tryin to get away,i was shooting a 70 pound ma11 with around 800grs of arrow.hit him just behind the head with a zwicky two blade.bout took his head clean off.dropped like a spud.bag cooked him..yummmm

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
try stickin an arrow into a skimmer duck.(thats what we called them)them babys scoot along the top of the water at around 60mph.would take a miracle shot just to make him swerve.

Offline wildgame

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »
nope but want to try!! sounds like a good challenge i would love to complete!
"go afield with good attitude,and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and fields in which you walk" -Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©