3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ever duck hunted with a trad bow?  (Read 866 times)

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ever duck hunted with a trad bow?
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 11:44:00 PM »
If I get the chance you can bet I'll be trying for a goose or two this year.

It just sounds like a blast.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 12:25:00 AM »
its a lot of fun mudd i will pretty much bet the house on that...another thing we used to do is spot and spook them dang nutria.them suckers are hard to put the sneak on.they always have things after them so i can just imagine how jumpy they are while feeding in a field.in the water they are easy targets but on land they go into a totally different zone.beaver with a rat tail.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline silvertip73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »
Just watched Brooks Johnson hunt geese with his bow on the sportsmans channel.  Shot a couple!

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »
no, I like duck and goose jerky way to much to risk a miss.  It is better than venison in that form.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »
Down in Missouri, don't you have a bunch of Snow Geese?  I have yet to hunt them, but they are on my list.  All my gun buddies that go to Texas every year say the "Hot Lunch Program" is the best time to get them, and they come in by the thousands.  The hot lunch program, from what I'm told, is when the farmer's are spreading manure on the fields, and the snow's land in there to eat.

If you guys are wanting to have a great time, try doing any wing shooting with a bow.  It's an awesome time.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night!  :biglaugh:
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
When stationed at Corpus Christi, TX (1980-1983) on the I&I Staff there I was lucky to have hunted the Kings Ranch and some duck hunting with the recurve along with fellow gun hunters. They were great guys and always gave me first shot (flu-flu's) and then they followed up with a gun kill. Really had a blast.

Offline kahunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
I should have qualified that statement about not being hard with 1) if you are a good shot(which I am not!), and 2) if you get the perfect decoy setup where they right in on top of you.  Of course that rarely happens, at least on the hunts I have been on.  

Geese would be a blast for sure.  One of my life goals is to kill a pheasant with a bow.  a duck or goose would be right up there too.  I have a long ways to go in the accuracy department though.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by kahunter:
and 2) if you get the perfect decoy setup where they right in on top of you.  Of course that rarely happens, at least on the hunts I have been on.  

It's simply basic when duck hunting.  They land into the wind, so set up with the wind at your back, and leave a landing zone in the middle of your decoys right infront of you.  Make it so that is the only spot there is for them to land, and they will.  If you do it wrong, and they land and swim in, you could shoot them off the water, but where is the fun in that?  Wait till they swim close enough, and jump them up.  They also take off into the wind (atleast they catch air to get up) offering you an awesome shot opportunity.  It is actually a really fun time.  If your anything like me, you will have way more misses than hits, but each miss is a learning opportunity.  Try it, you'll love it.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
I am getting better but it is going really slow.  I am working in my blacksmith shop on a bunch of knife blanks I made a while back.  I can't even hold onto a blade to forge it right now.  I am gonna be sucking at shooting my bows come the spring 3D shoots.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline bloodyarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
Just got back from hunting with misty morning outfitters in kansas everyone but me was carry a shotgun I had my Brackenbury we were hunting geese and ducks. I made some beleavers out the gunners
Hunting The Way of My Ancestors
(The Traditional Way)

Eddie

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
I will never forget the sound of that thump when my blunt caught up to the blue wing teal I stalked and jumped off a small pond.  I was fourteen and no one would believe I got it with my bow out of the air.  I have gotten geese circling a field looking for food, and jump shooting ducks and geese floating rivers out of a canoe.  I have not had much luck on fast flying passing birds.  I keep threatening to only hunt birds and the only deer that I would shoot would be the ones that got between me and the pheasants and turkeys, but my back and legs tell me that would have been more practical when I was younger and healthier.  There are times when the area rivers have more birds on them the marshes and what can be so hard about sitting in my kevlar Mad River with the back rests on the seats.  Next year, we will have some adventure afloat.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
Hell, I can't hit 'em with a shotgun!
Sam

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sam McMichael:
That is the best reason of all to use a bow...built in excuse  :D
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sam McMichael:
that's why you give them up, and start enjoying the hunt more.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©