3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletch Tape Question  (Read 686 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Fletch Tape Question
« on: December 06, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
I bought a roll to try and made up one arrow. It took all but about 5-7 minutes, but, the longest part was spent trying to get the backing off the tape after sticking it to the fletching. Any tricks to get it off easy? My eyes are horrible at trying to see that tiny strip.

Otherwise, it's sooooo much cleaner than glue. No chance to test the durability of it yet, but, that'll come.

Thanks for any input.

Bud
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletch Tape Question
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
Hi Bud, Press your right forefinger nail down on the tape about 1/8th of an inch back from the beginning of the fletching tape and drag back on it. in no time at all you"ll learn the right amount of pressure to make it work best.

With luck,
2fletch

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
Use a razor blade - just get the tip of the blade under the backing and pull it off.  I also suggest puting a drop of glue on the front tip of the fletch so that it cannot pull off. I have been using it for years and love it.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by 2fletch:
Hi Bud, Press your right forefinger nail down on the tape about 1/8th of an inch back from the beginning of the fletching tape and drag back on it. in no time at all you"ll learn the right amount of pressure to make it work best.

With luck,
2fletch
I use my thumbnail, but otherwise I do the same thing. It's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'll never go back to regular glue.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »
Cuticle scissors
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
I use the right index finger, finger nail.  I over run the tape about 1/8 to 1/4 off the back of the fletch and just push it down onto the clamp with the finger nailand then dig in with the nail.... Then I use the cuticle sissors to snip that tail. works every time.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by 30coupe:

Originally posted by 2fletch:

With luck,
2fletch
I use my thumbnail, but otherwise I do the same thing. It's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'll never go back to regular glue. [/b]
Yes sir !!!

Maybe the best thing since toasted sliced bread with jelly.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
Thanks all. I'll try the fingernail thing. I tried the razor thing but can't see that well up close.
Time for some bi-focals I guess.  :(

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Hogcoots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
I use a small exacto knife...about the size of a pen.  I run the tape about 1/8 inch beyond the fletching.  I curl the 1/8 inch overhang back with the exacto knife blade on the sticky side.  I then move the knife back forward and the backing usually separates from the sticky side.  I reach down with my thumb and forefinger and peel it back.  It took a little practice but I can really peel them back in no time now.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 12:31:00 AM »
1) What 2Fletch said.

2) Find a seven year old girl who thinks it's neat to "make arrows".  Their dinky little fingers can peel that stuff right off.  

Course, you'd better be ready to slow down the rest of the process since they'll wanna try it all too...
Silence is golden.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »
The razor blade works for me but I use reading glasses!

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
Been using fletch tape since it's beginning, works great!

Like MJB says, cuticle scissors. After applying, press and rub up and down the feather, this compresses the tape and helps relase the film.

Then with the tip of scissors, lift film and your good to go! Double duty, cut to length and lift the film.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »
I'm with MJB and Frank. Sharp cuticle scissors and reading glasses. I cut the tape so an eighth inch hangs beyond each end of the feather. Load the feather into your clamp, apply the tape, then when you're ready to fletch, press one end of the tape against the edge of the clamp, then pick at the backing with the point of the scissors. Should come right up for you. You can grab the backing between your fingertip and the point of the scissors. I like to pretape a bunch of feathers ahead of time. Makes the actual fletching seem to go faster. Add a drop of insurance glue to each end of the feather, or wrap with silk floss or artificial sinew.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Pack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
I leave about an eight hanging off each end, using cuticle scissors to cut the end attached to the roll.  I just push down and roll the free end until it separates the backing from the adhesive part.  It sometimes takes 5 or 6 times before it separates, but it is very quick.  I am sure I can do a fletch in about 1 minute.

Offline CEO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
I use an exacto knife with a convex blade to peal off the backing. The fastest method I've seen is to use small high quality wire cutters lightly on the tape to only cut the glue not the backing. Then simply pull off the tape (attached to the fletching) leaving the backing in one long strip. Using this method a friend of mine can fletch a doz arrows in about 20 min. Takes me longer because I usually cut through the backing and have to use the exacto knife to peal the backing.

Offline amazonjim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
I leave a little more than and 1/8 and do the roll in my thumb and finger then just pull the backing off trim the excess and put on arrow.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 04:15:00 PM »
The older paper-backed style was really easy.....a fingernail was all that was required.

When I first tried the plastic-back tape, I floundered to say the least.

My wife gave it a shot with an exacto knife.  Worked like a charm.  I've actually gotten pretty quick with one now........but I still miss the paper-backed tape!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »
I would add one thing...  

I really make sure my application surface is clean on both fletch and shaft.  I wipe down my shafts with alcohol and actually touch my fletching with fine sand paper and then wipe with the alcohol.

I have never had an adherence problem.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
Bud,
Van Bateman swears by the stuff and has a trick for that, but my memory has gone the way of my eyes and I plod along with glue.  If he's at the Rockingham shoot ask him.
Richard
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
10-4 Richard

Hopefully I'll see you Sunday.

Bud

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©