3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: KUIU!  (Read 2029 times)

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: KUIU!
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
I am definitely interested.  

Pete are you coming over to this side of the mountain for the TBM Banquet at Chico Hot Springs next weekend?  If so, could you bring a couple of pieces for us to see?
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
I am a runt compred to Biggie and Marty!

5-9" 180#...not big, but not a runt either.  Not sure of your sources Doc    ;)  

I wear lg tops in all my undergarments and either LG or mostly xl outers to have room to layer.

Would you like me to model the 185 Zip-t?  Proof is in the pix    :)  

Randy/Walt, You'll luv it!

I look forward to taking this ultra light gear and kinda crossing it over to the type of hunting I mostly do...Whitetails.

Like I said earlier...with what's going to be avail. this spring....I/we should be able to be warm in all but the coldest hunts.

With a couple(or more) layers of Merino 185&250, the Spindrift Primaloft jacket, the Guide jacket and vest...I look forward to not only staying warm, but also not being weighed down with heavy, bulky layers.

Heavy clothing takes it's toll on a hunter over time in a stand. After 4-5 hrs. it becomes much more of a burden than clothing that weighs half as much, but still keeps you warm     :thumbsup:

Joey/Biggie,
The camo is second to none at destoying the human outline. Both of the deer I killed while wearing it looked up at me(I think they both knew the stands where there and were lookin), but didn't/couldn't identify me.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline peter c iacavazzi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
...I can attest that Curt is no runt...he's definitely no "lineman" like Biggie...more of a solid "defensive back" size. He's fast and agile and while his body size may be of the "L" persuasion...his heart is a 4XL....

Unfortunately, I wont be able to attend the TBM gathering...Although I'd love to...I will be in Poplar, MT teaching "FLAG" at Poplar, HS.

Jason Hairston is meeting me in Salt Lake City tomorrow. Between dinner and lots of laughs, we will be talking alot of KUIU. I hate to sound like a commercial here...But YOU guys will really love this KUIU.

Jason has put his heart and soul into developing this product line with YOU in mind. As a hardcore traditional bowhunter himself, he has really created something very special.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or if I may help you in anyway.

Thank you guys!

Peter Iacavazzi
 www.kuiu.com
 www.theflagprogram.com

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2011, 08:19:00 PM »
You guys have to stop, it's driving me nuts that I can't get ahold of any till spring.   :knothead:    :banghead:

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Guru:
I am a runt compred to Biggie and Marty!

5-9" 180#...not big, but not a runt either.  Not sure of your sources Doc     ;)    
Oh, Guru,

Now, Son...you DO know my source: All the pesterin you get here. I just know what I read since I've missed being able to hook up with yer fine self...  :eek:    :rolleyes:    :D  

Just how big ARE some of these guys... seriously...180#. (I remember 180 but short term memory is the first to go!)

Nope...180 ain't no runt! I dont' think I want to see you "model" the 185...I'm kinda skert now!  :)

thanks for the chuckles...now back to the regularly scheduled program.

So this synthetic stuff for outer wear...the lighter weight and wind-resistant/water resistant is double cool...but is it QUIET?

Seriously...I take finger nails or a key to so many of these fabrics in camo today and wince when I think of 2 days beard scratchin across some of this stuff on a still, frosty morning.

I swear some of our deer can hear you blink. One of the guys said the deer heard him "swallow hard!" Yup.. I believe it.

I got a few packs that were supposed to be "fleece" type quiet and man... when it gets cold...they actually "crinkle".

Any word on the outwear and it's quiet factor?
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline ole shep

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
Yes sir, yes sir.  I think I'll need three bags full. Guru made it look good, I talked to the deer after he left none said they had seen him either.
Bob Sarrels 56" 56lb {shoots Its self}. Kanati  ( On our honeymoon) There is nothing a dip of snuff won't make better

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
I also like the looks of the pattern. I've never had a problem finding a garmet to wear in warm weather but the cold weather gear is a hole different story.
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
Hey! The light welterweights and lightweights are going to have to be represented by me officially. Maybe I don't eat enough or something, and I train like a madman. I wanna see how warm I AM in KUIU. Let's not forget the the MAN, BJ Penn is all of 155lbs. Just like me. Peter can attest to BJP's effectiveness but that's another conversation.

Guys I get COLD. I'm know for getting cold. I'm known for not LIKING cold. I'm also known to sit in a blind for 12 hours. Believe me if I am warm, you will be warm....I plan on letting you guys know how it goes next year! Let's go so we can order some!
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
So David buddy, you talk to the deer huh...can you put an order in for a 10pt. next year?    :goldtooth:  

Doc, It's all good bud    :biglaugh:

As far as quiet, you've read that I just got done hunting those crazy,wired,lunatic deer at Solana. Those deer are without a doubt the most weary,on edge critters I've ever layed eyes on. If something is noisy, they will hear it!  It passed that test with no problem at all.  

Alex, Not saying you shouldn't buy KUIU, but the way you're approaching it may not be the best the way I see it...

You know you have hell of a time staying warm on your hunts, it's always a struggle for you. That's no secret, you talk about it all the time on TG.

So going into this, knowing that, why would you try to use clothing that is designed to be ultra-light, and for hunters basically on the move?

KUIU is awesome stuff, and the Merino base layers will be the best on the market. But to be truthful, and Jason and Peter will tell you same thing, it's not designed to keep fellas like you (that can't keep yourself from getting cold) from getting cold while stand hunting.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you plan on "letting us know" if you stay warm. But chances are, since nothing can keep you warm, maybe you're just setting yourself up for failure?

I just would hate to see hunters wearing KUIU with the wrong frame of mind, it's great gear, but lets not forget what it was designed for.

I'd hate to see guys talking negetively(and spreading the word) about KUIU that are trying to use it for hunts it was really never designed for is all.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
Those are valid points, Curt. Agreed. Went through this with Sitka until the insulated pieces came out.......

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2011, 12:35:00 PM »
Doc, I almost doubled Guru when he was down here last. 6'4" 365#

I'm down to a svelt 324 now...going for 280.
I want to be like Pete when I grow up.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
Listen to you guys! At 5'8" and 150, I haven't got much extra body fat to keep me warm.
I have to run around in circles in the rain to get wet!
I'm required to carry rocks in my pockets when the wind blows.
On the plus side, I never have to duck going through a door!

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
See the posts above PD......my problem exactly.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
Curt/Pete, how does it hold up to rough brush? Curt you probably have a good idea after wearing it in Texas where everything has a thorn on it. I'm all in to conservation and am much more apt to walk through stuff rather than around it and I do tend to rip clothes and wear them out.

Oh, I'm more of a tight end. Right at 6' and 240#. My wife says I'm not fat, just dense!  :)

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
Hey Guys!

I'm the official runt of Trad Gang, @ 5'6" 150.  Pete still can't decide if I should be kicking field goals or passing out gatorade bottles.     :D      
I'm going to order some as soon as it comes out and I'll be sure to keep the gang posted in terms of durability and warmth for lightweights like myself.   Year round I'm hunting in some terrain that's rough on gear.  Kiawe thorns, cactus, cat claw, lantena, lava rocks, etc.  
For the guys that get cold,  I'm your man.     Living in Hawaii, I don't have time to acclimate to the mainland weather.  You should have seen me last year in Nebraska.  Talk about freezing!  Heck, I even get cold when I'm hunting in Hawaii.

Aloha!
Ryan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©