3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Difference in wool base layers???  (Read 389 times)

Offline Bullfrog

• Trad Bowhunter
Difference in wool base layers???
« on: December 07, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
Is there really a difference in wool base layers from say Filson for 100 bucks vs the minus 33 or such for 50 bucks??  Thanks.   BILL

Offline Tree Rat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Difference in wool base layers???
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
I have Minus 33 and Woolpower (Ulfrotte)

Comfort wise I see no difference. They both keep me very warm.

The Ulfrotte has a higher loft. It's more like a thick terry cloth towel, and the Minus 33 is like a thick fleece. I guess in theory the higher loft would give a larger dead air space, but I feel no difference in the field.

My wallet on the other hand.....
Not all Squirrels are nuts....

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
Get a look at LL Bean and Cabelas before you buy any wool base layers. I have the Bean and I cant believe how warm and itch free they are at around $50.00 per piece.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 04:29:00 PM »
I like Filson. Great quality for the $$ paid.

That said, I find some of the thinner wools better for a layering combo.....I know, sounds backwards. I think it has something to do with the airspace between layers. I think 3 thin layers is warmer than 2 thick layers.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
I am happy with the Cabelas merino wool base layer, lots of reviews said it was itchy but it doesn't bother me.  I also have some firstlite wool and to be honest I am less impressed with that.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
This is copied and pasted from Jason Hairstons KUIU blog. Pretty informative.

Merino wool has amazed me since the first time I tested it. Body temperature control, odor management, comfort and performance, I knew merino was the perfect fabric choice for KUIU’s base layer program.

I did a lot of research sourcing merino for KUIU.  What I learned, like other fabrics, not all merino is the same.  Just because a products uses merino wool and has a 17.5 micron rating, it does not dictate the quality or consistancy of the fibers in the fabric. As with Toray for outerwear, I wanted to ensure quality, consistency and performance for KUIU. General sourcing of merino from the global market would not guarantee this.

The Merino Company (TMC) based in Melbourne, Australia has been supplying merino wool for over 150 years.  TMC has deep-rooted relationships with merino growers throughout New Zealand, Australia, South America and South Africa.  This creates distinct supply chain advantage over their competition.

“The TMC approach ensures there is minimal variation in wool quality throughout a supply chain, with transparency, traceability and tight controls from sheep to shelf (S2S).”  states TMC
TMC is able to provide a more consistent micron rating in their fabrics.  This is important.  A 17.5 micron rating is an average and to meet this fabrics will contain a range of fibers from 19.5 to 15.5 microns.  TMC is able to supply a fabric with more 17.5 micron fibers.  19.5 micron fibers are not as comfortable and 15.5 micron fibers are not as durable.  Thus TMC is able to provide a more consistent fabric which is more comfortable, performs better and lasts longer.In addition to the supply chain quality advantages, TMC uses the most advanced yarn spinning and knitting technologies available.  They offer their customers the widest range of merino wool fabrics on the market.  TMC is the innovator in merino wool and leads the market in new fabrics and merino developments.  They are eager to work with their customers to develop new products specific to a market.  This makes The Merino Company the perfect partner for KUIU.

I look forward to hearing your thought and comments on The Merino Company
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline tukudu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
I layer with Ulfrotte and for me it is comfortable, light, wears like iron and keeps me warm. I wash, dry it in the dryer and have had no issues for years with the same set. Well worth the money.
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
In my experience the detailing is better and after a couple years the more expensive wool products are in better condition, still doing what they did in the beginning better  than cheaper stuff. I have seen cheaper stuff seem to loose its loft. Its still wool, but not wool that does all that wool can.

I'm not married to high price wool clothes, especially under wear, but it really does perform better IMO than cheaper stuff.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Spinealigner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
I have the minus 33 and have been very pleased with its performance

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©