3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Not much going on in Mass ........  (Read 476 times)

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Not much going on in Mass ........
« on: December 07, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
I'll be going to E.T.A.R. this coming July (probably by myself, but maybe with my brother) and I can't wait because it will be the 1st trad archery event that I've ever attended.  It will be a road trip for me.....7 hours maybe.  Well,  that got me to thinking - seems most states have something going on in the way of a traditional archery community or organization of some sort.  These states have trad archery festivals and shoots.  Now unless Im missing something,  Mass doesnt have anything like this going on.   I think there may be a club or organization out toward Cape Cod,  but if so,  it seems pretty low profile.....and I have never heard of a trad event in this state.  I wish there were more going on around here in that way.   Id love to attend more of the festivals and events but they are all so far away.    In my cruising around here on TradGang,  I think I may have noticed one other member from Mass.  Im feelin' all alone over here..... ANY GANGERS FROM MASS,  GIVE ME A THUMBS-UP!  :wavey:

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Not much going on in Mass ........
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
I think you just need to move to PA.  We've got a bunch. You just made me realize how lucky I am to have so many shoots within a couple hour drive.

ETAR to a traditional archer is like Disneyland to a little kid.  Hope to see to there.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
It is like going to a GUY shopping mall. I have never been, but I have heard the stories and am fond of GUY malls. I never go to a conventional shopping mall unless I need clothes for a funeral or Christmas presents. Bleaahhhhhh.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
Oh Im there!  Not camping,  think Ill be staying in one of the local hotel/motels....maybe camping next year though.  Just starting to get my brother into trad archery.  He started off with it years ago....I almost have the hook set!

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
A little advice...If you're going to be staying in a local hotel/motel, you better make your reservations NOW!  The area really fills up.  Even camping gets crowded.  Folks start showing up the week before for camping on site and the local state park campgrounds get full with reservations.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
Do yourself a favor, camp, you will meet the nicest people. That is what I did at my first ever at Denton hill this passed summer. I must say it was not what I expected to see, it was great to say the least. I only went because I wanted a custom bow having just got back into Trad. a year or so before, it was the only reason I went there. I was told many bowyers would be there and I could shoot lots of different bows, they were right, but I also found where I belonged. I'll do my best to be there from now on.

Good luck
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline barebow17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 06:06:00 AM »
The White Mountain Traditional Bowhunters put on a few shoots in Tynsboro,Ma. Then you have the Poke and Hope shoot up in Maine.

Offline Charlie Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 06:34:00 AM »
There are a few Trad only events held in Mass and around NE every season. WMTB will be holding 3 at Tyngsboro Sportmans Club over the next season. There is also a Trad only shoot in RI in late June. Vermont and Maine also have rendezvous' planned for the upcoming summer. Another option if you do not mind driving is the Trad shoot at Whittingham NJ. A bunch of us go down every year and it is a great time. Not nearly as busy as ETAR and lots to keep you occupied. It's about a 4.5 hour drive from the greater Boston area. There seems to be far less trad hunters in NE who are spread out much futher than in other parts of the country, but they are still here if you know where to look. Shoot me a pm if you need more info.    Charlie

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 07:04:00 AM »
There are a few of us in MA . There are  Sunday 3d shoots on the south shore starting the first week in January.While not trad only there's a few trad shooters. WMTB shoots spring ,summer and fall. Charlie and Company do a great job.

Mass has no trad organizations I'm aware of. TBONE (Traditional Bowhunters Of NE)has disbanded

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
I'm glad you brought up this subject cause I've been wondering the same thing. In two years I haven't even met another trad shooter in Mass.

To the guys that have responded to this post from Mass...Hey there, How ya doing?    :wavey:
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
Theres a lot of gas drilling going on down there now and when I looked for a place to reserve for next year while I was at the shoot last year all of the hotel opperators said it was likely that the mining/construction crews would have everything booked on a long term basis come next year and at that time they were not accepting reservations .I think if you look into Wellsborough you might find something although it will be about 1/2 drive to the shoot in the AM.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
Stockbridge Mass used to have a all trad shoot each May. I guess people got burnt out and they canceled last year. It was a fantastic shoot and had a good selection of venders. Then each year it got a bit smaller till it was gone....a real shame!! Went to Denton Hill last year for the first time....it was neat, bring your wallet cause there are some deals to be had.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline CJC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
i live in central massachusetts (amherst area) and the traditional scene is fairly well represented around here.  lots of clubs, and within each there seems to be a small nucleus of traditional archers.  make no mistake, you have to seek for traditional shooters wherever you go, but they are around.  there are a few clubs that also have field archery and with that a good number of guys shooting olympic style bare bow set-ups.  i always see trad guys at all the local shoots, which there are a lot of.

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
The Massachusetts Traditional Archery Preservation Society......Or The Massachusetts Fraternity of Traditional Archers
Both have a nice wring to them!
Now that would be something to start up and watch grow!
Pipe dreamin?
Lots of work thats for sure!

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »
Bay state archers holds 3D competitions with a big traditional turnout. New England Traditional Bowmen holds a trad only shoot  every year at the Whitinsville Rod and Gun club. 2 days, lots O fun!
Mass is tough. Eastern Mass is a mess. Way out of touch from reality. Western Mass you can go into a store dressed for hunting and the clerk will ask "any luck?"  I've lived in Bellingham for 41 years. I wish I could move somewhere else, but you take the cards you are dealt and play them to the fullest extent.
I'll make note of your "handle" and send you info on every trad shoot that comes up.
David M. Conroy

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 06:08:00 PM »
The Tyngsboro Sportsmens club hosts the WMTB traditional shoots (3) during the year and has several traditional shooters who meet and shoot on most Thursday nites year round. Come on down.

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
This is great! NoSights I like the way you're thinking. Sign me up!

I was able to get the 2011 schedule for the  Safari League 3D shoots. It's my understanding that these shoots have more realistic "hunting distances." Does anyone know if this is true?
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »
bunch of us trad shooters meet up to shoot stumps every other sunday through out the year, the tri-county 3D got boring so we meet for breakfast and then decide where we will stump shoot (airials) and shed hunt,,,, rabbit & coyote hunting till march though!

posters above said it right though, TBONE (trad bowhunters of New england) does a shoot 2-day shoot in uxbridge, then theres stockbridge, theres the triple crown I think if it still happens, Jonesboro, VT. Poke-n-Hope in Durham,Me and shoots put on by the white mtn trad bowhunters including their very fun Rabbit hunt, and I'm sure many more..

its true this is Mass but theres more to do here archery wise than there ever was when I lived in Arvada, Co and upstate (redding) Ca.

we are on the south shore, and hunt trad archery till the 31st,,, no guns ever needed.
"Us vs Them"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©