3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Just Wasn't Right  (Read 723 times)

Offline Ranger58

• Trad Bowhunter
Just Wasn't Right
« on: December 07, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
Anyone else ever been afflicted with this?  After three years of strictly hunting with the stick and string, I was convinced to go out again with a firearm.  I intentionally set out to handicap myself with the smokepole or the Contender.  First couple of days, saw some deer too far off to know if they were even legal; but, I enjoyed just seeing them.  Then two days ago, as I was in an area that I hunted this fall, I was watching an area that had proved productive and thought I'd turn around and see what else might be happening.  There they were, two mature ones probably fifty yards away.  They were a lot quicker than I was and all I was able to see were their two white flags as they exited the small woodlot and crossed the open field, and then the roadway into the relative safety of some posted ground.  
Well, having hunted this area earlier in the fall, I kind of expected to see some more following the first two.  Not two minutes later, there they were working their way through the pines on a direct route to me.  Now, I had the proper tags and could have harvested right then and there; but, I couldn't do it.  It just wasn't right.  
These same five does had passed me three times earlier this year and this time was no exception.  I let them pass with in ten yards of me and not a one was alerted as they passed.  It was another memorable experience to add to the list that is quickly making this the absolute best hunting season I've ever had.  Not one arrow loosed and thank heaven no trigger pulled. Second season comes in the day after Christmas here in Pennsylvania and already I can't wait to get back out.
I guess I'm just a stickbow hunter from now on.  I really had a feeling that if the time came and the opportunity presented itself, I really wouldn't want to do take an animal like that anymore.  There's just something about the quietness of the arrow that is so much more honorable to me than the EXPLOSION associated with the gun.  My father before he passed away, was able to hunt the family property one last time and when he returned with his rifle in hand he said to my sister "That's it, I can't do this anymore."  He put down the rifle for the last time and never went out again.  For me, that said a whole lot more than the words that were spoken.  Now I'm truly an archer.
Stickbows, Sidelocks and Flyrods, anything to make it more of a challenge!

Bear Kodiak 50@28 “the girl”
Palmer Classic w/ 50@28 and 56@27 limbs
58 Kodiak 45@28
Kodiak 59'er 50@28
1958 Pearson Hunter dual shelf 45@28
and my original longbow I used as a kid.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Just Wasn't Right
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
I totally understand! I remember when the time came when it no longer felt right to have a gun with me.

All I would be doing is killing a deer and the "hunt part" would be greatly diminished.

The 1st time it hit me I remember thinking "That deer had no idea I was anywhere around." then something inside me answered with "that's because you weren't."
I wish I had listened to myself right then but I pushed it out of my mind for another season. I did finally get the message, "It's not about the kill!" but how I feel about myself. I needed to be truer to my self.

I'd rather end every season with unfilled tags and enjoy my hunt than fill the freezer in a way that left me unsatisfied.

If I get hungry, I can always go to the store.

My 2 cents worth.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 11:34:00 PM »
I can relate, but I am not "afflicted" to that extent.  I shot a deer with a gun this year;  It was the only deer with a gun in the last five years.  It was 12 yd.  For a long time I just have not seen anything I wanted to shoot.  Funny I can drive tacks at a hundred yards with a slug gun, but they look so far away I keep thinking they are out of range at 25. It has been so long since I pulled a trigger on a deer I thought the recoil of the 12 from my tree stand and the noise would be a shock, but it wasn't.    

I don't stop hunting during gun season, but I do slow down some.  I would bow hunt, but in the areas I hunt I just can't have a deer run too far.  If I had a nice private spot with some elbow room I would keep bow hunting.

I get the most fun out of bow hunting.  It is by far my favorite.  I am a little sad to see gun season start up, but I don't see using a gun as cheating or demising the hunting experience.  I just don't like the crowds and the fact the deer shut down by day two.

My second favorite hunting is wing shooting, and I use a gun for that.  As far as I am concerned, it is all good.  Do it the way you like, and don't look down your nose at others who do it the way they like.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mudd:
I'd rather end every season with unfilled tags and enjoy my hunt than fill the freezer in a way that left me unsatisfied.

I can dig it  :)  , but I am left the most unsatisfied if I have to go to the store to get meat to feed my family when the meat is from something that never saw the light of day, couldn't stand up if it didn't have a cage or another body to lean on, could never run or fly, was feed antibiotics and hormones to keep it alive and grow fast before it died, spent it's life knee deep in it's own waste................  :rolleyes:   Oh ya, I am most definitely a meat hunter.   :thumbsup:
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Ranger58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 07:05:00 AM »
Mudd, Sounds like we are on the same plane.  It isn't about the kill for me any longer as well.  And Todd, I'm not looking down on anyone, just a realization about me is all.  To me there's just something about being able to get really close and then not making any more noise than letting the string go.  I'm not trying to be an eliteist at all.  Thanks for both of the viewpoints.
Stickbows, Sidelocks and Flyrods, anything to make it more of a challenge!

Bear Kodiak 50@28 “the girl”
Palmer Classic w/ 50@28 and 56@27 limbs
58 Kodiak 45@28
Kodiak 59'er 50@28
1958 Pearson Hunter dual shelf 45@28
and my original longbow I used as a kid.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 07:53:00 AM »
I definitely prefer the bow, but I get hungry some years. Store-bought meat is just not the same. If I don't make a kill in the early bow season, hunting gets very tough on my property because of the long season and constant pressure. This year I took a fat young doe on opening day of the primitive season with my muzzleloader. Now that I have meat, I can go back to the bow for hunting the rut, which will peak here in the next couple of weeks. I know the hunting will be tough, but much more satisfying than knocking one down with a gun.

Of course, the doe I shot gave me an easy broadside shot at 15 yards...
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
I quit gun hunting several years ago.  I think it was just due to a "remote" feeling.  It was almost like the enjoyment left.  The last time I went gun hunting was about 10 years ago. A deer walked up to me and I killed her.  No inner story for myself, just...  I don't know, not right for me.

I have filled my tags almost every year since with my longbow.  I even go out of state and fill a few, but I have never had that dull feeling with my bow.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »
I enjoy the bow season and then go and HUNT and kill a couple with my inline - enjoy that as well.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 08:26:00 AM »
I haven't hunted with firearms for quite a few years. I think BB King may have said  it best.."The Thrill is Gone".  It is trad bow or nothing for me, and my guns are warmly wrapped in their cases.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
Ranger58 you have a passion for the bow.I only went out a few days gun hunting with my kentucky long rifle just dont want to use modern guns also.  :archer2:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »

My situation is different.

I'm the only one at my home that eats any wild game.

Our nest is empty and the wife won't eat anything wild, she'll barely eat any kind of meat.

She loves bacon though and that really makes me want to go hog hunting....lol

I'm guessing that's my desire to provide my mate with meat but maybe it's just the excuse I need to plan a hunting trip.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 09:23:00 AM »
I prefer the bow but hunting with a gun does'nt deminish my enjoyment of the hunt. To me the challenge is in finding the animals and having the patience to be presented with a shot. The shot itself is'nt necassarily challenging if you are proficient with your weapon. So I like hunting with either if only to increase my versatility.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
"It's not about the kill!" but how I feel about myself. I needed to be truer to my self.

Something in those words ring very true.

:coffee:  

Mike
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
And if i need meat i just unleash my son.Last year my son said dad if it wasnt for me we would starve.  :laughing:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »
I totally understand! I remember when the time came when it no longer felt right to have a gun with me.

All I would be doing is killing a deer and the "hunt part" would be greatly diminished.

The 1st time it hit me I remember thinking "That deer had no idea I was anywhere around." then something inside me answered with "that's because you weren't."
I wish I had listened to myself right then but I pushed it out of my mind for another season. I did finally get the message, "It's not about the kill!" but how I feel about myself. I needed to be truer to my self.

My 2 cents worth.

God bless,Mudd
The main reason I have not taken any of my modern firearms out of the safe in many years cept to practice once in a while.
Also the main reason my Muzzleloader may see one day of hunting during the whole season because I feel I should be on a more level ground with nature as I hunt & a bow just make that much more possible IMHO & the feeling I get knowing that the deer I either did shoot or just watched had no clue I was there.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline JO_EZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
Proverbs 27:7
One who is full loathes honey from the comb, but to the hungry even what is bitter tastes sweet.

I guess, if you are "full" of deer (physically or emotionally), then to take another by any means is gluttony, but if you still "hunger" for deer, then to be able to take one by any means is a gift from the Lord.
I started shooting a longbow because I thought it would simplify things and it did... now I simply need to get a whole lot closer to hit anything.

Work'n when I have to, fish'n when I can...

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
I started building bows 20 years ago.I filled my tags every year with a bow.But for the first 10 years of that time.I kept telling  myself when I got that 280 or muzzleloader in my hands it's was time to even the score.And I did alot.I gun hunted in 4 states at the time
and the #'s piled up.And it just got easer and easer.
  So I quit gun hunting and started only hunting with selfbows hunting only 3 1/3 year old bucks or older.4 1/2 on some farms.Wish I'd did this 40 years ago when I started deer hunting.
  And yes I use to see a big mature bucks out in the fields.And tell myself wish I had a gun.But I know I really didn't been there done that it took a few of these encounters to get it out of my system.
  But I see lots of mature bucks on the farms I hunt.If your a good rifle hunter makes some people a great bow hunter.Noise I said most,most can't take letting any buck go where ever or with where ever.Much less mature bucks.
  But only exsperence will make you change your mine and keep it changed.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
I hear you.
The rifle makes things much easier to stock the freezer though...at least for me.

Funny... I put away my compound to take up trad hunting but I still go rifle shooting for deer.
I haven't got one with my smoke pole yet ( cap & ball ). After the first one I can see myself leaving the bang stick at home for all seasons.

I love my rifles and shotguns. What I really like about them is working up loads be it for a rifle, blackpowder or shotgun.
That's what I really like about trad...you get to tinker and things are slow enough to see and feel the difference.

Good luck in the woods!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Most:
"It's not about the kill!" but how I feel about myself. I needed to be truer to my self.

Something in those words ring very true.

:coffee:    

Mike
I couldn't agree more!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
This morning I was hunting an antlerless tag. Within 5 minutes of legal light I could have filled my doe tag 10 times over with a firearm. By 9 o'clock I could have harvested 50 plus deer. If I would have done that I would not have been able to attemped the four stalks I screwed up today. I would'nt have see rhe 15 or so bucks I viewed. I crawled within 40 yards of 3 bucks and 15 does while the bucks were chasing each other and pestering the poor does still in heat. It made for a great morning even thou I didn't get a arrow in the air. I have nothing agianst hunting with firearms but for me I prefer a stick and a string.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©