3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Building Weight  (Read 890 times)

Offline Txnrog

• Trad Bowhunter
Building Weight
« on: December 07, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
Anybody got any exercises, tips, tricks, or other suggestions for building up to a desired bow weight gradually without causing shoulder issues. I currently shoot in the mid-50's and want to get up to the mid 70's within two years. I can already shoot low 60's, but not comfortably, or for any significant period of time. I'm not a large guy, but not small either. Am 6 ft high with shoes on, about 170lbs after elk season and 185 after the holidays   ;)   Standard office worker shape who hits the gym sporatically and keeps active from the time the fish start biting to the close of the last season.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Building Weight
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 11:46:00 PM »
Push ups, Pull ups, and shoot the heavier bows more but dont over do it.....
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline stickhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 12:01:00 AM »
Go get you some rubber tubing from a p/therapist, and the gym will give you some rutines that you can do at home. most of my bows are 63-70# and it works for me.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 01:07:00 AM »
"Don't overdue it" is excellent advise, and I feel most archers could shoot more weight if they shot less often.  Your muscles need to rest.  Keep the heavy weight stuff focused on hunting, and practice accordingly (if that's your goal).  Shoot one arrow at a time, making the most of your "one" shot, then retrieve.  And remember, one good shot...execution... in practice is worth a hundred done as a chore.  At nearly 51, I can still pickup my 70 and 80 pound longbows and shoot them well.  My son Kory is probably your size and can shoot 80 pounds too, in fact he prefers it.   We shoot primarily to hunt, though.  If I shot lots of targets and 3-D stuff, just to shoot, I'd use a lighter bow.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »
Like Mark said.  If you want to just stand there and shoot tons of arrows you'll never get built up.  I'm 56 and no where near your size, 5'8" 145# and shoot 80# range even at 3d shoots but I've been doing it for years.  My son is 5'10" and 135# and shoots his HH 80# @ 27" all day because I started him with bows and worked his weight up as I saw him physically master it.  By the time he was 12 he was pulling and hunting with 55# and he only weighed 80!  You need to work at it slowly and it will come.

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »
All of the above is good advice and I would like to add one that has helped me.  I have one bow that is about 10# heavier than the ones that I shoot the most, I put one of those "clickers" on it and shoot a few shots 2-3 times a week with it and it seems to help a lot keeping my form and anchor with the lower poundage bows.
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
What ever you do go slow.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline traditionalman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
I used a bow fit rubber band excersier and worked up to a 100 pound hill bow in 3 months. Disc disease and heart surgery may me go back to 65 and 70 pounds about 3 years ago. I'm 60 years old now and just don't have the stength as I use too.The bow fit comes in 3 sizes light, medium, and heavy. Depending on were you want to go pick the size needed. Heavy is 100 pound when tripled I got mine a few years back for $25 I beleive but I think they are now $35 but well worth it. They give you a series of archery exercises to strengthn only your archery muscels. If you do them 3 to 4 times a week you will get there fast. Good luck and I always loved shooting the heavy bows.
Gary King

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by traditionalman:
I used a bow fit rubber band excersier and worked up to a 100 pound hill bow in 3 months. Disc disease and heart surgery may me go back to 65 and 70 pounds about 3 years ago. I'm 60 years old now and just don't have the stength as I use too.The bow fit comes in 3 sizes light, medium, and heavy. Depending on were you want to go pick the size needed. Heavy is 100 pound when tripled I got mine a few years back for $25 I beleive but I think they are now $35 but well worth it. They give you a series of archery exercises to strengthn only your archery muscels. If you do them 3 to 4 times a week you will get there fast. Good luck and I always loved shooting the heavy bows.
Thanks for this! I've been wondering about that contraption for awhile now.  Looks like it'll do the trick. I use the back exercises on my Bowflex and they help a lot...but are not as specific.
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »
I would suggest using dumbells for bent over rowing and upright rowing with weight machine. Rotator cuff exercises with a rubber band. AND borrow a heavy bow to pull and shoot...If you excercise a muscle hard wait 48 hours. Drink alot of water when excersing and you should always be hydrated when excersing or hunting antway....often overlooked when exerting.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
Good advice above. Here's a good injury preventer.... warm up using 1 gallon water jugs. Start with them 1/4 full, half full, or full if you feel good with the weight.Whatever isn't too heavy. BIG circles with a jug in each hand. Do ten full circles. Wait and do ten more. Joints are warm, muscles have blood pumping in them, good to go. Start shooting. Draw and HOLD for at least 5 seconds. More if you can. If you cant hold for 5 seconds at your anchor, you are not ready to shoot at that weight.
David M. Conroy

Offline Txnrog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
Thanks all for the advice. I have the rubber bands, and will start hittin those more frequently. Think I'll bump up the weight of my next bow to low 60's and shoot it a bit more sporatically. And go up from there as I get comfortable. Clicker is a good idea to make sure I'm keeping true on my form.

Good advice about warming up before pulling a heavier bow. I've 'tweaked' things a couple times when just trying a heavier bow cold.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 12:33:00 AM »
I use 10 gallon jugs; one in each arm and do 20 flies, and working up to 40. It is hard, and  one of these days I will put some water in the jugs.     :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 01:24:00 AM »
:clapper:  Oh, yeah, I like it Bjorn.

If you do not already have the 70# bow, use your 60#'er and draw it several times a day.  Once you can draw it ten times comfortably, then practice drawing and holding each time for several seconds.  

Be sure to exercise both arms (draw your bow right and left handed) so that the muscles in your back/neck develop evenly.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline CEW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
I've used these excercises from Kisik Lee - to build strength.
 http://www.kslinternationalarchery.com/Training/SPTs/SPTs.html

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »
SPT's are good for both building and maintaning strength. You may find however that you build rapidly. I would just warn to be careful to avoid muscle strains (go slowly) and use proper form. If you are going to do them, then I would also adivise you to do a stretching/flexibilty routine. Personally, I will not do the behind the head one, I believe it is #4.

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
I use 10 gallon jugs; one in each arm and do 20 flies, and working up to 40. It is hard, and  one of these days I will put some water in the jugs.      :laughing:      :laughing:      :laughing:  
Busted! Ya got me...I was thinking you might be allergic to cryptonite for a mintute, there!  :eek:
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline bsv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 08:18:00 PM »
I made my own bow-fit out of an alum.tube and shock cord.three bands,1 is 35# 2is 55# 3is 70#.I do sets of 15 and it works GREAT!
Burt
R/D's soon to come

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
Uh? I just use Steroids. Works fine.

Actually, I my opinion the first response was the best. Push Ups. Pull Ups. The Ying/Yang of the two exercises is perfect for building strength to draw heavier bows. The other suggestion is, get a heavier bow. Work up to it, and then get a heavier bow, etc.....

Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
I wanted to build some weight because i was afraid to loose some strenght with the years(56)and I was noticing that 55# were really confortable against my usual 60-65.So I bought a pair of heavier limbs for my Black Widow 75# from Matt and I started working up.In 2 weeks I am been able to see some improvements and i am shooting 25 arrows out of them.The good news is that now 70# looks smoooth and 65# looks like I am pulling 50#.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©