3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: serving coming untwisted  (Read 632 times)

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
serving coming untwisted
« on: December 07, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
I have a problem with my serving coming untwisted when I shoot. After a few shot my serving slides down and seems to come unwraveled making my knocks become loose. I was wondering what are some possible causes of this, and does anyone else have this problem? I do my own servings normaly but have this issues no matter who does my serving.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline JrsyBowHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: serving coming untwisted
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
what type of serving material are you using, and are you winding the serving tight enough, i have never had a serving come loose and start unwinding
Steven Siegert

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
You want the serving to be wrapped in the same direction as the bowstring is wrapped, so when you twist up the bowstring, you are tightening the serving.  Otherwise, when you twist up the bowstring, you're loosening the serving.  Of course, as Steven said, it is possible it just wasn't wrapped tight enough to start with, or maybe not tied off correctly.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
Large diameter serving over a small diameter string is the worst for working loose.  Halo, or any of the super-slick servings, will loosen quicker than a braided serving like 62XS.  There's lots of things that could be the cause--hard to narrow it down.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 07:43:00 AM »
Are you left handed?  Most strings are served for a right handed shooter and will sometimes loosen if it ends up on a left hand bow.  A right handed shooter should have the serving going clockwise, a lefty counter clockwise.  I just experienced this with a new to me left hand bow, reserved the string, no more problem.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 08:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by McDave:
You want the serving to be wrapped in the same direction as the bowstring is wrapped, so when you twist up the bowstring, you are tightening the serving.  Otherwise, when you twist up the bowstring, you're loosening the serving.  Of course, as Steven said, it is possible it just wasn't wrapped tight enough to start with, or maybe not tied off correctly.
My thought exactly!

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
I've never found it made any difference which direction the serving was wrapped, but I do wrap mine tight and they are tied off securely. They may wear out but never come loose.  I agree with LBR re the large diameter serving on a thin diameter string.

DVS, if your serving is sliding down after only a few shots, it's not wrapped tight enough.  You are talking about your serving and not the nock set, right?

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
I hope no one is offended by my post. This is MY OPINION and my opinion is based upon MY EXPERIENCE, and I am only sharing this information for the purpose of helping others. I have probably made about 1000 bowstrings over the years, including strings for many clients and very well respected bowyers. Others are of course free to agree or disagree with my opinions, as each of us have our own knowledge and experiences.

1. The serving should be wrapped in the same direction the bowstring is twisted. This way, when you add twists to a string, you tighten BOTH the string AND the serving.

2. My favorite serving is #62 braid. If used properly, it stays where you put it. Other braided servings work well also, but I personally do not like nylon (too weak for me) nor do I like the super slick stuff as it will slide unless it is put on EXTREMELY tight! Since it is tough, I do like the slick stuff to use to tie on my nocking points (dental floss also works well for this, but seems less durable). I have met other excellent bowstring makers that say the slick spectra serving doesn't slip, but I have taken strings from many people that use the slick stuff and then I have shown them otherwise by putting a tie on nocking point on the string but not cutting the tail ends off the tie on nocking point...and then pull those ends up or down and watch it slide up and down the bowstring an 1/8" or in some cases even more...which means such servings slip. #62 braid is much better about staying where you put it, and is plenty durable.

3. The serving should be tight (pulled with some pressure during application) and snug (no gaps between wraps)...but it doesn't need to be so tight that the serving tool won't allow the spool to rotate as you serve the string. It shouldn't pull out easily or too hard either. With a pull, it should come out without straining the fibers of the serving, but not too easily or loose. There is no need to have the serving so tight that it tries to crush or cut into the bowstring.

4. The "body" (non-flemish area) of a bowstring should lay together as if it was ONE. Many strings are not properly put together and the final product ends up as seperate bundles wrapped around one another. This creates a "spiralling bump" in the body...and is not only unsightly and/or uncomfortable, but it increases the stress in the string as the individual fibers are not as in-line with the force they are holding as they should be. I will add an update on my bowstring's page to further illustrate this common problem.

5. Tie the ends of the serving off properly by going over the "tail ends" at least 10 times. I personally use at least a MINIMUM of 15 wraps on the end. I have seen some that are only under 6 or 8 wraps...and they sometimes the serving on those strings will work loose.

6. It doesn't matter if you are right or left handed. EITHER WAY, when you draw a string and "roll" it on your fingers, one end will twist tighter and one end will twist looser. You can confirm this by exaggerating the situation by getting a strung up bow and looking to see what happens when you grab the string in the center and roll it on your fingers. The string that goes towards one tip will twist more while the one going towards the other tip will twist less.

If I can help more, let me know. Good luck.

http://www.protegelongbows.com/bowstrings.htm
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline traditionalman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »
I have served bow strings for years and can tell you there is a right and wrong way to do it. If your right handed the serving needs to be put on to the left and left handed to the right. This way when you pull the string the serving is tighting and not being twisted loose. Also the ends need to be tucked in at least a 1/2 inch. I use the english reverse wrap to do my ends.

I have heard of one man who shoots a compound that his serving kept getting worn into where the arrow nocks on the string, This man does shoot a lot. I told him to switch to Halo and he has had no problem. Frist make sure there is no sharp edges on your nocks and that they fit properly. If all is okay use Halo it is tuff stuff. Expensive but work it and best for finger shooters.

Godd luck buddy hope this helps.
Gary King

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
might be wrapped backwards too.  Wrapped one way it tightens the other it loosens.  Most likely you're problem...that and it was probably wrapped loosely on top of it.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by bornagainbowhunter:

Originally posted by McDave:
My thought exactly!

God Bless,
Nathan [/b]
+1 more on that. McDave knows his stuff!
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 07:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by traditionalman:
I have served bow strings for years and can tell you there is a right and wrong way to do it. If your right handed the serving needs to be put on to the left and left handed to the right. This way when you pull the string the serving is tighting and not being twisted loose.
This is a common misconception. Look at my #6 comment and then try it. To get a clear picture of this...ROLL the string on a strung up bow on your fingers EXCESSIVELY...and you will see one end gets tighter and the other gets looser no matter if you do it with your right hand or your left hand. If you do this and can't twist the string enough to see what is happening, then unstring the bow and hold the string at the serving and just roll it enough times to see what happens when you "roll" the string in the center of the serving. What you will see is one end of the string get wrapped tighter and the other gets looser. This is because you hold the string in the center, not the end. For this reason, I serve the SAME DIRECTION as the twists in the bowstring's body so when twists are added to adjust brace height the serving is just "snugged up" even more.

Although I have probably made over 1000 bowstrings for clients and some very well respected bowyers, by all means...don't take my word for it. Just try it.

In the end though, the fact remains that FEW PEOPLE will ever roll a strung bow a even two full revolutions when they draw a bow (most likely much less). Even with 2 full rotations during draw, the amount of roll in just 6-8 inches (serving length) would only be 8/60ths  x 2 on a 60" bowstring (or 16/60ths which is approximately 1/4 of a twist) in the serving portion. My point is the amount of twist in the serving area during draw is neglegiable. You do more twisting and untwisting adjusting your brace height than you will ever do shooting.
Lee

Offline CG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and disagree....  :p  

First off, unless the pigtail end of the serving is inserted through the strands of the string, then twisting and untwisting the string won't change the tension on the serving.  The serving resides on top of the string and is tightly wrapped  but independent of the string that it is wrapped around.  When you twist the string (either tighter or looser), the serving will also twist in the same direction,  but it twists as a whole unit rather than getting tighter or looser.

As far as LH vs RH and the serving "tightening" or "loosening" as you draw the bow.  If you will, as Lee described, pull back on the string and exxagerate the torque put on the string in the process, you will notice that the serving does indeed roll, but it does so equally on the top and bottom of the serving, not "getting tighter and looser", i.e. it rolls back and forth but maintains it's independent place on top of the string, not like a nut being screwed up and down on a bolt.

Now, having said all of that, I'm in no way meaning to imply that the rules of thumb we have all been taught were merely wives tales.  When mono serving was widely used, I think it was vital to be aware of the serving direction and aware of if it was for LH or RH shooting.

But with the serving materials I've been using, I feel I can serve it any direction and it will remain intact and tight for both LH and RH shooters--string twisted excessively or untwisted.  The real key is getting it on there with the proper tension and having the ends sufficiently secured.

Just my $.02

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
Lots of good info here. Thank you. I put my serving on in the same direction as the string and only after the string has been properly stretched as well. I use diamondback serving I think it is called. I have put it so tight thaat the serving has broke due to tension. Could the problem be coming from torque when drawing as a righthand shooter?
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
David, what kind of string material are you using?

Do you have alot of sting contact with your bow arm, at the shot?

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
Lee covered it well.  I've tried serving in different directions for left or right hand, including purposely serving my personal strings the "wrong" direction--made no difference.  Halo is very tough, but also the slickest, so it is the most prone to slipping...especially in the case of a small diameter string, large diameter serving.

DVS, you shouldn't have to put it on that tight.  How much do you use to start and tie off the serving?  That might be the problem--not enough anchoring it on each end (just a guess).

Chad

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
Oh, forget to ask, what kind of nocking point, tie on, or crimp? There are different sizes of crimp on for different diameters of serving.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 07:54:00 AM »
I prefer tie on....easier to adjust imho once you get the tightness of it down.  Plus no tools to fuss with and once it's set, you glue it down it'll never come loose.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 08:02:00 AM »
I use d97 twelve strand with a brass medium nock. They fit well. I make about eight to ten wraps before whipping my serving. I have shot others' strings after hundreds of shots and then a few of mine and the serving slides down under the nock

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »
I use the #62 braid serving for the serving itself, but tie on my nocking points with the spectra serving...and then glue the nocking point. This way both the serving and the nocking point lasts the life of the bowstring and does so without moving.
Lee

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©