3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: new used bow need a little help  (Read 326 times)

Offline LinemanARK

• Trad Bowhunter
new used bow need a little help
« on: December 07, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
Got a used reflex nomad 55#s at 28" I shoot with split fingers useing a glove does any body know what the brace height would be and what kind of arrows should I be looking to buy? I will be shooting off the shelf, any thing you can help me with would be great  thanks Mike

Offline Ranger58

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: new used bow need a little help
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
From what I've learned here and through reading, set it up and start twisting the string till it both sounds acceptable and the groupings are acceptable.  Do some shooting and then play around with the brace height some more till you get it just where "you" want it.  Different styles of shooting, releasing, etc all have an effect on how your bow behaves.  
As far as for arrows, what kind do you want to shoot?  Woods?  Aluminums?  Carbons?  Decide what kind you're going to shoot then we can talk about spine and lenght.  
Enjoy the journey!
Stickbows, Sidelocks and Flyrods, anything to make it more of a challenge!

Bear Kodiak 50@28 “the girl”
Palmer Classic w/ 50@28 and 56@27 limbs
58 Kodiak 45@28
Kodiak 59'er 50@28
1958 Pearson Hunter dual shelf 45@28
and my original longbow I used as a kid.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 12:21:00 AM »
The best info on brace height will come from the builder  He will know his bows better than anyone.

For arrows, I like wood, Douglas Fir being my favorite.  Feathers work best for shooting off the shelf.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 12:34:00 AM »
If that's a Kota Prairie Nomad, I had one and seem to recall it liked about 7 1/2" of brace height. I'd start there and twist or untwist until it suits you. As far as arrows, it's hard to say without knowing your actual draw. Most bows gain/lose about 3# per inch of draw. You would be right on the border between a 500 and 400 spine, depending on your draw. If you want to use carbons, you could get some 400s and leave them full length then trim and tune them. If you draw under 28" you could probably use 500s and start at around 29 1/2" and cut from there. You can also do a lot with tip weight. I shoot 500s with about 225-250 grains up front from both my 46# Kanati and my 53# Orion. I draw from 27" to 28" depending on the day.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
correct me if im wrong but its a reflex bow,the ones hoyt made,i think its the same as a gamemaster so just see what the bh is on it and go from there
i like biscuits

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©