3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hand held bow scales ???  (Read 312 times)

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hand held bow scales ???
« on: December 08, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
I am looking for opinions on hand held bow scales. Do they work good? Have one you want to recommend?  thx, ~ joe
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: Hand held bow scales ???
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
i tried a few and found the analog spring scales are just not accurate.  

the digital ones are best and the best for me is the easton digital scale - not cheap, but well worth the dollars as it's accurate and durable, and therefore the better value.  

had two other digital scales that crapped out in short order, while the easton has worked perfectly for over a year.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »
x2 NOT ACCURATE
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
Never worked very accurately for me.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
It depends on what you are looking for out of a scale.  It probably varies from one scale to another somewhat as well. Some units might be off quite a bit, but I have a hand held spring scale that is within a pound of my very accurate digital wall mounted scale.  It will give the exact same reading consistently each time it is drawn, but will read about a pound lighter than my digital scale.

If you are just looking to be able to compare one bow to another the hand held might meet your needs.  To get as accurate and consistent as possible, make up a measuring arrow and mark off the length(s) you want to measure the weight at.  Use a spring clip on the arrow to make sure you are drawing the bow to the exact measurement you want.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
good input guys thanks.

i should have included my intentions/use of the scale.

whip mentioned my intentions; i want to compare one bow to another and so on. im not going to use it to 'challange' what is marked on a given bow.
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
Joe,I'm same as whip.I've had one for close to 15 years and it seams to work fine and seams quite accurate as to my bows weights.It is real handy and I use mine the same as your intentions.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 11:58:00 AM »
I have found that most of the spring scales, such as the one Cabelas sells indicate 3# light. I don't know why, they just all ready 3# light.  Just measure the bow with a good scale at an archery shop and then try the hand held scale.  Note the difference and then you can add or subtract the weight.

Also, I do what Whip said and us the same marked arrow every time.  It's funny because it is an old Herters farbenglass arrow that I stripped the fletching off of so I know that is the one to use.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
I use a rapela's digital fish scale.
Works for me
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©