3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Treestand Hunting  (Read 674 times)

Online LoneRanger

• Trad Bowhunter
Treestand Hunting
« on: December 08, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
How many of you guys hunt out of treestands with your trad setup?  The reason I ask is that I have taken many deer from a treestand with my compound, but with a trad bow it seems it would be very challenging due to the increased tip to tip length of the bow.  There are obviously advantages to hunting from a treestand, but how do you best prepare to overcome the additional challenges of maneuvering a trad bow up there?

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Treestand Hunting
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
While hunting out of my climax hang on's or my lone wolf climber I have not had any trouble at all with Trad gear.  I did stop using my API due to the side arms on the seat part getting in the way with my lower limbs.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
It's mostly open space around a tree stand so maneuvering the longer limbs isn't much of an issue.  Most try to set up their stands to make it easiest to draw in the direction from which the critter is most likely to come. The real challenge with trad gear is timing the draw.  With trad gear, one can't draw and hold for a few minutes while the critter moves into position for a shot as one can with a compound.   :archer2:

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
If you practice in the yard with targets at different distances it works out fine. Practice and patience is the key from a stand with trad.You won't get the 40+ yard shot you got from the wheels.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
I do and the lock-ons are the best for clearance reasons.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
My stands are just basic seats with platforms. No rails, arm rests, etc. I've not had any issues other than those monster bucks not making an appearance
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline Stealth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
I had the same problem with side supports on my stands.  Had to remove the left side to get clearance while shooting my long bow.
Stealth

Offline thewal2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 11:05:00 AM »
My Uncle shoots 68" self bows out of a tree stand climber, hang ons, and ladder stands.

I have killed my only 3 kills from a lone wolf hand climber...you can take my bow but dont take my lone wolf.

My uncle has also had luck sitting in the corn on the ground.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
I have used My 72" T2T selfbow out of a lock-on, climber and a ladder stand with no problems.

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
Like everything else you get use to it and the best way is to practice.
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »
I thought the same thing when i made the switch. but its no problem at all. you cannot hunt with a stand that has a safty bar in front of you. just clear the branches and twigs infront on you and above you so your bow doesnt hit them.

i found that the hard thing to do is picking a spot from 18 feet up!!! you dont have a little green site to look at anymore. i have missed several deer. i have killed several deer too! even the misses are fun! but when it all comes together it will be better than any caompund kill you have ever made!

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
I am shooting 62" bows from my stands.  They are all hang ons with climbing sticks.  I just trim branches out of the way and am good to go.  Bow length is not a problem.  

As regards stand placement...  I do not hang a stand much over 12 foot to the bottom of the platform.  I know many here go higher...  I do not.  I am fortunate to have my own ground to hunt on.  This allows me to both leave my stands in place and monitor the deer pretty well.

I do spend time locating the stands so that I have good background.  This likely effects my height.  I don't seem to have trouble drawing on an animal once they show up.

JMHO
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
I shoot with my bow canted, but have never had much of a problem shooting out of a stand.  I agree with TJ, that for clearence reasons, a good lock on is the way to go.  I will admit the newer climbing stands do look like they would be alright to shoot out of, but limit you on the available trees.

I use a LocOn Windwalker, you might check them out.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
We use lock on that we make ourselves. These have low arm rests and supports with no guard rails. Commercial ones are available but make sure you use a safety harness. Also I like to lean way out with my harness for extra clearence, but that maybe out of some peoples comfort zone.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Spinealigner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »
I hunt out of ladder stands with out a rail.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
Usually shoot 64-68 inch recurves out of treestands. Easier than from the ground, thats for sure!
Make sure you take several shots from a treestand before hunting from it, then clear whatever you need to. But leave as much as possible! If a deer comes close but is in a position where you can't fully draw your bow, DONT SHOOT!  Relax, your life does not depend on that deer (for most of us.) If it did we would be snaring them in leg traps, not bowhunting.
Cracks me up when people say they need 60 inch or shorter bows to hunt from trees, if they ever saw the giant bows I've successfully shot they'd never believe it! Took a buck once with a 1969 72" Herters Perfection target bow at 50#'s from a hemlock.
Every one of my 22 treestands is the 29.99 dollar hang on stand from the Sportsmans Guide. I buy camo wratchet straps and secure the stand to the tree with two straps. ROCK SOLID. Don't care about the cable or chains that came with them. I'm 205 naked, and these stands easily take my weight, are cheap and can go just about anywhere. Sneak them in the tighest spots, no sweat!
David M. Conroy

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
Been getting caught on the ground right behind our cabin,so I bought and put up a ladder stand 2 weeks ago.Gonna set on it Monday evening for the first time. Will have my 66 inch longbow with me.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline SOLDIERII

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
I shoot a 62" bow at 15 feet plus. I do enjoy ground hunting more.
SoldierII

Offline the longbowkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
I hunt from ladder stands w/o arm rests, its never been a problem so far. but the extra bow hanging out is definitely more visible to the deer, around trees and such.
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 50@28

"too many people live under the misguided impression that death is the worst possible of natural events"
  -John G. Mitchell, "The Hunt"

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
It is just a matter of a little practice.

Your upper limb hangs out just as much as the lower...NEVER forget that!  :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©