3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wood shafts for Black Widow MA X  (Read 459 times)

Offline Ricoh

• Trad Bowhunter
wood shafts for Black Widow MA X
« on: December 08, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
I have decided to go back to shooting wood. I shoot a 64" Black Widow PMA X 53*@28". My draw length is 28" and I plan on using Aboyer 175 gr brown bear heads. I have contacted Hildebrand shafts and Hexshaft but would like some opinions on other raw shaft suppliers. I want to shoot 11/32 parallel withthree 5" feathers. Was thinking 65-70 lb shafts. Do I need to go stiffer?

thanks

Rick

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wood shafts for Black Widow MA X
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
I feel that Hildebrand and Surewood are two of the best "natural" wood shafts. For a laminated shaft the Hexshafts are top notch.
You'd be styling pretty well with any of those.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
I just stained up 2 dozen Surewoods and they are gorgeous looking(ya I went there) Best looken grain I have seen yet.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
Ricoh I think you will need more spine, (consider string type and center cut) get a test kit; 65/70, 70/75 and 75/80. A 200 gn field point shoots the same as a 175 Brown Bear, that is what I use for what it is worth.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
Rick, I'd be leaning more towards 75/80's for that Widow especially if you're planning to use those 175 gr points.  Widows typically like a lot of spine.

If you edit the title of your thread to include Black Widow, you should get some real good input from actual Widow shooters.  :thumbsup:  

We also carry the Surewood shafts which are about as good as it gets in wood shafting IMO.

Surewood Shafts at Braveheart Archery
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Ricoh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
Braveheart

Do you ship to Canada? Do you ship USPS as I get killed with broker fees any other way. I was thinking 70-75 but you guys are the experts.

Rick

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
Rick, I ran the numbers a couple of ways and came up the same: 85-89 lb spine for a 29" arrow and the 175 gr points.  With a PMA, BW says draw weight times 1.4 for a 28" arrow and 125 point. That is 74 lb.  Add 10 lb for the inch of arrow and heavy point and you have 84 lb.  You might do fine with  80-84, but with a deep cut bow the extra won't hurt a thing.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
A test kit is the way to go.  A lot will depend on your release.  Nock fit, the thickness of the strike plate, string type, etc. will also matter.

Chad

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
I suggest the test kit as well.  I think 70-75 or 75-80 will work just fine.  A bow cut to center or past center can handle a lot of spine,so you could go the heavier route heavier, but the problem in this case is getting a heavy enough spine in the diameter shaft you want.  It will be real hard to find 80# plus shafts in cedar or sitka spruce in 11/32, even 75-80# is fairly rare in those woods in 11/32.  May be available in Doug Fir though, and Surewood makes excellent shafts.  Good luck.

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »
Out of my widows, I shoot 90-95# spine Surewoods with a 200gr Grizzly up front. Tim at Braveheart is absolutly right, Widows love a heavy spine
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
I have a MA II that I have had new since 1991, 60 inch and 60 lbs at 28".  My draw length is 27 and I have been shooting POC shafts cut to 28.5 inches with 3 5" left helical feathers, 160 grain field tips and spined 67 to 70 lbs.  Widow and many other people tell me that they are under spined but they have been flying perfectly for almost 20 years.  A have another MA II with all the same stats other than being  made in 1996 that I have had new since then.  I have two sets of limbs, one 61 at 28" and the other set 64 at 28".  Guess what?  The same arrows fly perfectly out of that bow with either set of limbs mounted.  The release, grip on the bow etc. all have  a lot to do with it.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
Ricoh, we do ship to Canada and we use USPS exclusively, unfortunately shafting has to go Priority so it typically runs about $25 to Canada.  :help:  

Thanks for checking with us.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
75/80's and get them from Surewood.  Last batch I received,  there was only 1 that was even close to being not perfectly straight! Ive been super please with those shafts and great guys to talk to!

Online highcountry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
Ali says Greatbasin footed shafts. Kye makes them with Surewood shafts also.  Heavy weight forward so helps with the spine issue. Very tough hard wood, takes a licking and keeps ticking! More $$ but they last long time. Oh yeah, just perdy too!

:notworthy:

Offline hunterbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
I shoot Wapiti archery stump shooters they are tapered 23/64 and 5/16th at the nock end 80to85 spine out of my 63#@28" LAG and my PLGA 62#@28" and have for years and they fly great.
robert quetot

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 11:59:00 PM »
I shoot a 55# MA II and 70-75's fly great with 160 grn stos heads. I'm shooting 11/32 tapered fir 29 1/2 shafts. I have had several BW bows and have never found that you need as stiff a shaft as some folks seem to think for BW bows.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 08:07:00 AM »
You're better off overspined than underspined.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
I shoot 70# Cedars from my SA111,58#@28" with 170-190 gr.heads ,they fly great.I'm hoping Santa brings some 70-75# Surewoods as I've heard nothing but good!LOL
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Ricoh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replies fellas. Looks like 75-80 or 80-85 would do it . Surewoods seem to be the shaft of choice by what I am reading. I am leaning to the 75-80 I think. Again , thanks for the input.

Rick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©