3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Following other's wounded deer  (Read 320 times)

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
Following other's wounded deer
« on: December 08, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
From my hunting log for today:

---

It was another nippy one today (08-Dec-10). Still-hunted (if you can call it that - it was pretty noisy) from the top of the middle section around to the middle ridge. Saw some deer tracks, some squirrel tracks (and a few squirrels) and lots of coyote tracks.

Moved on to another location a bit south of here and still-hunted along the... lake trail. Spotted lots more tracks including some very fresh and very weird looking ones. It took me a minute to identify them as deer tracks but it looked like the deer had been staggering around the area.

Looked up and saw a doe get up off her bed close by and move off into the brush. Looking at her tracks and watching her move, it was obvious she was either diseased or injured. Sat and waited for half an hour or so to give her time to settle down and started off on her trail.

Found her bed with a little blood in it. I guess she was either clipped by a car or, more likely, by one of the shotgun hunters last week. Spent the next two hours or so following her through heavy brush hoping to put her down.

Not sure how far I followed her but I finally backed off her trail when she turned toward the road. The last thing I wanted was to push her into traffic. Didn't get her but feel I did my best. She'll likely feed the coyotes soon.

---

So what do you guys think?  She *might* not have crossed the road. Should I have kept on her trail?

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Following other's wounded deer
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »
Good try and a good read. I respect the effort.

Keeping the Faith!
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
Great job Jim, tough to know without being there. But I've read much of your input here and you obviously know damn well what you are doing. If you let up, I would have to say that was probably the best idea.
Wish I could hunt with you someday, as I am mostly a tree guy. I have had my fair share of trailing, but could still stand to learn quite a bit from you ground guys.
Coyotes are grand creatures in my eye. If they get a meal, or a raven, weasel, whatever...nothing is lost. Everybody and everything needs a bit of luck now and then to get by.
David M. Conroy

Offline Cottonwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
Good read.
Member: Montana Bowhunters Association, Traditional Bowhunters of Montana

"I don't bowhunt for a living... but I live to bowhunt the traditional way!"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »
You gave it your best shot....she may make it, but you know you tried to do the right thing....   :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
I sure appreciate your efforts.

It's good to know that there are folks who will do the right thing just because it's the right thing to do.

Thank you!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline jason1040

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
I think that what you did was very commendable.
Todd Frickey Southfork Custom 70# @ 30"

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  

It was an educational afternoon anyway.  She nearly lost me three or four times (particularly in one thick grove with other deer sign - frigger had me pruning the wrong tree - heh) but stopping, stepping back and looking for the pattern was helpful.

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »
I have tagged two doe by following blood trails that were given up on in doe season. Both were shot that day by rifle hunters who either didn't know what they were doing or just didn't care. Sorry to say a lot of hunters do not follow up on their shots and expect the animal to drop after the shot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©