3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bison Gear vs Badlands  (Read 574 times)

Offline Welch Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Bison Gear vs Badlands
« on: December 08, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
Anyone have any experience or opinions on these two brands. have a chance to by a new Badlands Hyper-vent pack for less than $100. but kind of always wanted a Bison Gear,being it's made in USA,and is wool but the cost is at least another $140.    :dunno:

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bison Gear vs Badlands
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
Buy American. Bison Gear is 1st class.
U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Offline Welch Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
snakewood have you experience with one or the other?

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
I have been using the small Bison Gear pack for 7 yrs. I don't have any need for anything larger. It has many lash points and is very comfortable, even with a very heavy load, I use mine to carry flint out of remote areas in addition to hunting.
U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
Go with Bison Gear, the extra cost is worth it.. Great products..
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
I have two Badlands packs.I am more than happy with both.I have never owned any Bison Gear,but they sure are nice,just a little out of my budget.glen

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
Welch Bowman,

If you are looking into a fanny pack or haversack go with Bison Gear.

If you want a backpack or day pack go with Badlands.

I had lots experience with both and this was the route I ended up going with.

For treestand hunting nothing beats the Bison Gear Haversack. It is just large enough to carry what you need but not so big that you take too much. Also their fanny packs are best around IMO I am not big on a lot of pockets and Bison Gear has just the right amount.

The Badlands packs are hard to beat with the lifetime warranty and are as tough as nails. For extended trips and overnight hunts where more gear is needed I always reach for my Badlands.

Also do your self a favor and talk with Whip at Prairie Traditions. He is really big on the Edlerbrook packs and has lots of knowledge with Badlands as well.

As for the American v. imported products just remember that Americans are selling both and earn their living this way.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
I have 2 badlands also and am happy with both of them very well made . Cusomer service is good also . Can't speak for Bison Gear don't have any .

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
I've owned Elberstock bandlands and now I only own Bison gear. Angelo is a pleasure to deal with and his products are top notch. I'm partial to wool so that may be it. but I did notice that the badlands tended to be noisy when cold. The elberstock wasn't as noisy and offered a mirad of options and adjustability. The Badlands warranty and customer service drew me away from Elberstock. But Bison gear tops them all in all aspects.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
I have no experience with the Bison Gear line but have owned a Badlands 2200 since 1999. It has done everything that I have asked out of it and more. I carry it everytime that I hunt because I am an "all-dayer". I am talking about a true "backpack" by the way.......and have no experience with their smaller daypacks. They have a lifetime warranty and at the time that I purchased mine.....I thought it was kinda pricey but the warranty is what sold me.

It has truly been through hell and back and still functions flawlessly. The only thing that I wish I could do is purchase a larger belt for the top and bottom........I'm a little bit "chunkier" than I was 11 years ago.  :laughing:  

As Chris said.......regardless of "where" they are manufactured......they are "sold" by Americans.

Winterhawk1960

P.S......if you have any specific questions just PM me. I wouldn't hesitate a minute to purchase another Badlands pack.
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline BoWyo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
I Have owned both Bison Gear and & Badlands. I prefer Bison Gear for it's silence in cold weather, easy to use zippers and compartment design as well as meat packing options.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
>>For treestand hunting nothing beats the Bison Gear Haversack<<

+1

I just wish the waterbottle pockets were a little bigger.

I have owned Badlands daypacks and sold them all after multiple zipper issues. Warranty does cover the problems but I would prefer not to have the problem.  For larger/overnight loads I use Kifaru.

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
I got a Super Diablo this fall. The frame is painted and the pack material squeaks against the frame. I adjust and adjust it and just can’t keep the frame from cutting into my low back, the waist belt just doesn’t work for me. I have been wearing packs for 30 years and this one just annoys me. My larger Kifaru is more comfortable as a day pack with twice as much weight. I will say the Badlands is cooler to wear, but other than that it just doesn’t fit the bill for me.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
I finally bit the bullet today and ordered myself a Bison Gear Lost River pack. Angelo was very helpful and just like a good bow I plan on getting many hard yrs of service from it.
God is good, all the time!!!

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
You can't beat Bison Gear for well made huntability .
I do hear good stuff about Eberstock but I like the wool quiet of Bison .
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Welch Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
Thanks one and all,one think is for sure either is better than the hand me down jan-sport I have been useing

Offline Bugle1N

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
I have a Bison Gear pack and it is a great pack. I also now have a the Eberlestock X2.  They are both great packs for different reasons and I use them both.  I looked for what I wanted in packs for years and finally could not decide between the two so bought both.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 12:11:00 AM »
I love my Bisongear "Elk Pack".  It was custom built to fit my needs and also to "fit" me like a glove.  I can't imagine using anything else for a ton of reasons.  Angie will work with you to build exactly what you want.  It should last more years than most guys can hunt.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »
I'm also thinking Bison Gear for the pack I'll order in January a Guide model with shoulder straps,,,,, you guys that use Bison packs what about the Rain and do you wear it or keep it exposed in the rain????
"Us vs Them"

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 12:51:00 PM »
Ted,

I specifically talked with Angelo about my need for having a pack that was pretty much waterproof. He suggested I go with the bucksuede over the wool because of this. I know it takes alot of rain for my bucksuede pullover to soak through.
God is good, all the time!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©