3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rick Stillman ( The feathered shaft ) A++++++++  (Read 577 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Rick Stillman ( The feathered shaft ) A++++++++
« on: December 08, 2010, 11:25:00 PM »
Rick Stillman owner of the sponsor The Feathered Shaft is THE MAN!!!

Quite a while back I was in need of some wood arrows. I had some arrows made by a different guy that I thought were OK but I needed some different ones.

I emailed a few different arrow makers with some questions. Some didn't respond, most did.
A few of the responses were not any help as they didn't answer the questions ( as if the email wasn't read with any intent on comprehending the questions)

Of the places that answered Rick was by FAR the most helpful. There wasn't any doubt that he cared about this out of the blue email and wanted to help me make the best arrow decision possible.
Over the course of a few emails I learned a LOT about tuning, shaft woods, feather sizes etc.

So first thing first I ordered a few test shafts from him. When they came in I thought "Dang! These are nice, straight, well made, good looking arrows" thinking these are just "test" arrows and might be lacking in finish quality or something.
NOPE. They were super good.

After paper testing the test arrows and such and figuring the spine I needed it was time to order.
I emailed Rick about my paper results and he read and CARED about the results.

The 55# spine was slightly weak. 58# shot pretty good. 62# was a bit too stiff.

He recommended 56-59# so if an individual shaft was slightly weak I could shorten it a bit. ( he remembered I had a little length to spare)

I asked if he could fade a stain from one color to another. "Sure"

Cutting to the chase, I just got in my tapered spruce arrows with a red mahogany stain tip fading into Sedona Red. It's hard to see in the pic but the fade looks GREAT.
Also, the arrows are straight. I mean STRAIGHT!
Every arrows seems so identical to another it's just unreal. Each arrow has a little personality as the wood grain takes the stain a tad different.
He did a great job staining too. Just the right amount to showcase the grain and still have good color.

They shoot GREAT. I've always had "THE" arrow out of the doz that seemed to fly the best...not anymore. They are equal. It's awesome and I'm very happy.
Nicest set of arrows I've ever owned. PERIOD!
This picture doesn't even come close to doing justice for these arrows.

Thanks Rick!

If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rick Stillman ( The feathered shaft ) A++++++++
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 11:44:00 PM »
Rick REALLY knows his craft, and he's a good man too!!  

Congrats on a fine set of arrows and on a working knowledge of what best fits your setup for future reference.
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 11:46:00 PM »
That boy can make an arrow so pretty you don't want to shoot it.I have a few from the St. Jude auction I won and they are trophy case arrows.   :notworthy:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline helo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 12:00:00 AM »
Its always great to hear of someone who listens to his customers and provides great service. Those are good looking arrows.   :thumbsup:

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 12:12:00 AM »
Very nice!  :thumbsup:
USMC 82-86

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 12:17:00 AM »
Rick is a hell of a guy.  Wait 'till you meet him in person.  God never made them any better.

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 06:53:00 AM »
Rick does suberp work. You won't ever find any better
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
Rick is an artist! PLus..........he's one of the good guys!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
Rick did a dozen beauties for me as well. He does such a good job, the arrows are straight, the feathers and dip perfect, and the spine was absolutely spot on. Plus, Rick's a class act, stand-up fella, and I am proud to call him a friend. I can't wait to send him a cheezin photo of his artwork AFTER it has been painted by me  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
If I  ever shoot wood arrows, they are going to come from Rick.  My brain cannot wrap itself up with the romance of the wood arrow at this point...I have to have "non-natural" shafting right now.  Sitting next to him at a show, watching him spin his "seconds" on the spin tester is amazing.  Those shafts are very bit as straight as my Full Metal Jacket Eastons.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
What jonsimoneau said X 10 ! Mason and I got to share a few days and campfires with Rick at Compton this past summer. What a gent !

He would have all our biz if Mason and I did not roll our own. That is our father / son project during Jan-March. He certainly gives us something to aspire to, that is for sure. His woodies are works of art and show the pride he takes in his work. Something I am trying to teach Mason on each dozen as we build them.

Yes, Steve O, we too drooled over Rick's little spin test display at the Compton booth. Had to look twice to see if that was a Carbon Express on the spinner and not a Surewood. If we would have had a decent crosswind under the tent I am sure it would have caught enough of the fletching to keep it spinning all day on it's own !!! They are that straight. Why not give in to the woodie bug Steve O, there is just something about them...... ? I do know they sure quieten down your set up too. We are hooked.

Good on ya Fletcher !
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
Rick's arrows are simply outstanding with service to match!  :thumbsup:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
:biglaugh:  It is just me and the way my brain works...I am sure one day I will be lured over for good.

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
Great Person and Awesome Arrows!

He keeps telling me deer shot with wood shafts taste better but I'm with Steve O...can't bring myself to use them.  Not yet at least!

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »
Nothin' but excellence comin' out of Rick's shop!

He is at the top when it comes to arrow makin'.

Keep the wind in your face!

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 10:59:00 PM »
By far the best wood arrow maker I've dealt with! And the man does care!!   :thumbsup:

Great looking arrows.   :clapper:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 08:31:00 AM »
Last year at the  Kalamazoo Expo John Vasos and I was next to Rick and his wife. Rick had his business set up and we had our Camp Cuervo Archery Club booth set up.  I never met Rick or his wife before and during the slow times we had a chance to talk and share stories.  Good folks for sure.

At the end of a long weekend we had to break down our booths and head for home.  John V and I took down the American flag and was folding it when I noticed Rick was standing at attention looking at our  flag with his hand over his heart.

Actions sometimes speak louder than words.
It made me feel proud to see Rick do that.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jon Stewart:
Last year at the  Kalamazoo Expo John Vasos and I was next to Rick and his wife. Rick had his business set up and we had our Camp Cuervo Archery Club booth set up.  I never met Rick or his wife before and during the slow times we had a chance to talk and share stories.  Good folks for sure.

At the end of a long weekend we had to break down our booths and head for home.  John V and I took down the American flag and was folding it when I noticed Rick was standing at attention looking at our  flag with his hand over his heart.

Actions sometimes speak louder than words.
It made me feel proud to see Rick do that.
I never met him but what you stated just then tells me that man has Honor and has my respect.That's the kind of person I admire.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
OK.  You guys have convinced me to give it another go.  I have a TallTines longbow due next month.  When I get it, I am going to contact Rick and   try to overcome my anal nature (no jokes please) and get in touch with my inner romantic and wring out a set of those laser straight woodies.  

:campfire:

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
Hah Steve-o, you're behind again...I just ordered a dozen doug fir, super duper all the way. White caps and barred feathers.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©