3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coffee on stand/blind  (Read 984 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Coffee on stand/blind
« on: December 09, 2010, 06:08:00 AM »
How many of you take coffee to your stand and drink during a hunt?  We all hear about the smoking and chewing and such, but have not heard a lot about coffee drinkers.  And if you do, in really cold weather, what is a good cup/thermos/mug to use to keep it really nice and hot? Especially you ground blind hunters?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coffee on stand/blind
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 06:15:00 AM »
I think the problem with coffee is not the smell but the movement while drinking and pouring it in.
Especially as you tend to drink smaller amounts but more often. Just like with cigarettes the main problem is not the smell but the movement while putting it in the mouth and lighting. Just My 2 cents.
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline Bent Rig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 06:20:00 AM »
I usaully have 1 cup at home before I leave , but I also bring a thermos with me for after the hunt . Unless I come out to my vehicle that's about it for me - because if it is cold out and I'm drinking anything = too much whizzin' ! Lol !!  :D
Paul

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 06:21:00 AM »
I'll take if on a really cold day, when I'm planning on staying on stand all day----or at least as long as possible.

Have shot 2 deer and 1 coyote that came in while drinking the stuff. The coyote came in to about 12 yds while I was on the ground behind a huge fallen tree-----I was freezing and just poured my cup and had to find a place to set it before it ran off.......

Just move smoothly/slowly.....I use a small bullet thermos; once you open it though, anything you don't drink the first time, won't stay warm for long! Soem people read on stand, eat lunch, etc.... just keep an eye out and enjoy!  :coffee:
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 06:22:00 AM »
I think the Nissan thermous is the best - or at least best I have used.  I take a bullet thermous of coffee with me on every morning hunt.  It really helps take the chill off when I pull mine out of the backpack around 10am and if it is full it will remain HOT for many hours.  I painted mine with textured bedliner spray in a rattle can but that's really not necessary.  Also, there is nothing better than finding your buck and sitting down to enjoy a cup of coffee while you reflect and give thanks.  Just a ritual I do.
Bob Urban

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 06:23:00 AM »
Thats one of the problems I am looking to solve Ben, is a good device to carry, use, and keep coffee or any hot beverage for that matter hot during the cold days.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 06:29:00 AM »
I have a bullet thermos now that has a type of pop-up lid. It has an insulated cover, but the inner cap is  vented. I don't have to unscrew the whole cap, just pop the center up, pour and re-seal. This works a WHOLE LOT better than my old 1.

However, can't tell you who makes 1 like it, as My employer gave them out as a safety award or something.......might want to look for something similar.
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 06:55:00 AM »
I like coffee but if I'm sitting on stand, my thermos probably has hot chocolate or hot soup or (here's the weird one) hot lemonade / Tang.  Coffee works to dehydrate you which makes staying warm a bit more difficult in the long term.

Feels good going down though.  :D

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 07:04:00 AM »
Amen Bob.  I always have coffee for a morning hunt, it's part of what makes it special, and is a little "reward", i.e. "O.K. another hour and a cup of joe, then another hour, another cup of joe!"  Only thing I do different is that I take a separate small cup with one of those sip through lids and a handle.  Seems like the deer always come through when I'm holding the cup so this way I can quickly hang the cup onto a peg of my tree instead of trying to chug steaming hot coffee!
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 07:11:00 AM »
I am a serious coffee junkie,It's all I drink. I pass coffee beans instead of kidney stones.   :biglaugh:  I cant go to the jon with out a cup. I think the deer have a respect for the coffee and yes I drink it on stand,on the way to the stand,coming out of the stand,You get my point.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 07:22:00 AM »
WOW!  And I thought I was a coffeeholic.   :coffee:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 07:26:00 AM »
Yep, Drink it on the stand and in the blind all the time.  :thumbsup:  

Tracy  :coffee:
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 07:26:00 AM »
Coffee in my treestand? Absolutely!
Nissan/Thermos Backpack Bottle is the best. Period.
No pouring into a separate cup. One hand opening and closing. Dripless drink spout.
If there is a downside it's capacity (16oz) but it does fit in my Bison Gear Haversack bottle pockets.
Pre-heated with hot water it will keep coffee hot a long time.
It was shiny buy I spray painted mine with the flat Krylon camo paint.

I can take a photo if needed but this is a no brainer. I have given a half dozen to my hunting friends as gifts after they tried to take mine.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 07:37:00 AM »
Gonna have to try that one.  Sounds like a better solution!
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 07:43:00 AM »
I would on real cold days, but it runs right through me.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Cottonwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 07:44:00 AM »
I am a serious coffee junkie myself as well, It's all I drink. I pass coffee beans that say Aloha on the way out.... yep that 100% Kona Coffee is great stuff.   :biglaugh:
Member: Montana Bowhunters Association, Traditional Bowhunters of Montana

"I don't bowhunt for a living... but I live to bowhunt the traditional way!"

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 07:48:00 AM »
I don't in a tree stand.  I could see it in a ground blind where you have more area to set stuff down and organize.  I have too much stuff in a tree stand as it is, and I find deer always show up when I don't have my bow in my hand 100% ready to shoot.  I have missed out on to many shots due to that to add having to put something down before I can even get my bow in hand.  A pull top bottle of water is all I carry, and I don't drink a lot of that on stand.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
I don't drink coffee on the stand, but when I hunted ducks I had a big silver thermos with a red top that was guaranteed to bring ducks in when I brought it out!

Had to give up caffeine. Now I have a mug of decaf laced with fiber supplement in the morning. Ahh, the pleasures of aging.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 07:54:00 AM »
I drank a half cup of coffee in the fall of 1977- high school. Haven't touched a drop since!

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
I like to take a Thermos when it's cold.  There's a certain amount of luxury in sitting back in a ground blind sipping a hot cup of strong coffee on a cold day.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©