3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coffee on stand/blind  (Read 990 times)

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coffee on stand/blind
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
Bowhunting from portable, no, not enough room.  Ground blind, yes but hot chocolate.  Rifle hunting from roomy enclosed tree stand, yes, hot chocolate.

I use and old 1 pint Thermos.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
I love coffee but no drinks or food with me in the treestand. Not enough room and too much movement. groundblind would probably be a different story. Then their is still the issue of the after effects of the coffee. I do all of my eating and drinking at the house / camp before i head to the woods.
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
I am a coffee fiend, and I love to have it on a long cold hunt.  However, I seldom stay on stand more than two hours or so.  If I am planning on it, I'll take my old Stanly thermos.  It's big and clunky, but it sure works.  I know the smell must not bother them because they always show up right after I fill a cup!!    :D  

Kinda like setting your fishin' rod down to grab a sandwich.
Silence is golden.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
At some point you will reach the stage in your life where the length of time it takes your body to process coffee diminishes considerably.  

I don't drink while in my stand because 30 minutes later I have to put it somewhere.

There, did I state that delicately enough?  Coffee makes me have to pee.  ;-)  When hunting I have one mug to wake up and then (hope) to dispose of it at the edge of the woods far from my stand.

I've got my little 1 pt. Nissan/Thermos stainless bottle and if I am "on the road" I leave it in my car so when I get out of the woods I can have a hot cup.  Usually, I hunt from home and Wifey knows to have a fresh pot on when I hit the back door.  What luxury.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 10:35:00 AM »
Yes I drink coffee on the hunt, on the ground or in a tree.....coffee is your friend!   :goldtooth:  May be why I only see 3-4 deer a year........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
Yep.  I take a small thermos along.  I sit dark to dark during the rut here in November, on a small hang-on tree stand.  That's 11 hours or so, and the temps are usually below freezing.  A little shot of Joe every three hours or so, and a couple of cookies, and I stay comfortable and content.  

No doubt that deer will pick up the aroma if they're downwind, but if they're downwind, there going to smell me anyway.

They do have an uncanny ability to come by right after I've poured a hot cup.  I've had to stuff the cup into my pocket more than once to prepare for a shot.  Coffee isn't too hot when it hits my skin after going through several layers of clothes. What's a guy to do     :dunno:    :)

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
I only drink it because I haven't found a way to main-line it!

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
YOU-BET!!  I hunt to enjoy the hunt and there is just something special about sipping some hot coffee on a 20 degree morning watching the birds and squirrels do their thing as the sun slowly rises, always checking all movement for deer. Its the closest I ever get to church but gives me the same feeling. I've learned to be very organized in a tree stand and move very very slow.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
Love it.  Take it or water to the stand depending on weather.  With all the blood pressure meds I take it doesn't make any difference...  I am gonna pee several times during a three hour or so sit any way.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
Yes - on stand - or a blind - worth the extra space ittakes in a pack - - - For the first month of deer season and spring hog hunts it is Iced Coffee. Hot or Cold though it really helps me stay on stand extra hours. This year on some morning hunts I was on stand till noon - that from pink light befre the time change - and it did produce shots - amazing how many deer pop up after traditional hunt hours. Coffee, snack and a pee bottle. 1 Pint Thermos - could drink more for sure - but that gets me through a sit.
Chippewas and Lone Wolf stands only. I manage if from a hanging double fanny pack. Look ALL around - then pour a cup and drink it down quickly - no sitting around sipping.

<><
<--------------<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
First off I love my coffee and hunting does not interfere.All my hunting is Spot and Stalk.I was in a tree stand once and got a nosebleed,so never again.Between my spotting and stalking coffee breaks happen ,either a thermos or I make a hot cup with my mini Alcohol stove poured from my main water supply.To me its all part of the experience.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »
I shot a deer the year before last while standing on the edge of a trail with denim jeans and a denim jacket on and drinking a large dunkin donuts coffee in that white cup,,,,, had a 56 smoothbore with me but it was late season and I heard them before they really got a chance to see me so I didn't sip the coffee when the deer where on top of me I actually crouched down and set it on the ground.. shot the doe who was with 4 other deer @ 48yds and picked my coffee back up and chirped my buddy,, was very convienent.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
I killed my first buck just after eating a Honey Bun and drinking some coffee in my tree!

I've pee'd out of my stand and it smelled like coffee. Deer have walked right under me and were curious but never spooked.

So who wants to buy a bottle of my own special brew??   :readit:    :laughing:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
I take it when I'm in my ground blind along with plenty of snacks and a bible to read   :thumbsup:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2010, 01:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by BEN:
I'll take if on a really cold day, when I'm planning on staying on stand all day----or at least as long as possible.

Have shot 2 deer and 1 coyote that came in while drinking the stuff. The coyote came in to about 12 yds while I was on the ground behind a huge fallen tree-----I was freezing and just poured my cup and had to find a place to set it before it ran off.......

Just move smoothly/slowly.....I use a small bullet thermos; once you open it though, anything you don't drink the first time, won't stay warm for long! Soem people read on stand, eat lunch, etc.... just keep an eye out and enjoy!   :coffee:  
I agree, drink coffe and read in my blind, have had success with both deer and coyotes.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
I absentmindedly carried my coffee cup with me one morning to my spot, I couldn't figure-out how to climb with it so I left the cup at the base of the tree.  Sure enough, I had a deer come right up and sniff that cup for a while before wandering-off.

Maybe I should set my cup where I want the deer to stop for a shot ...

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
While I spot and stalk....Sure. It might be an all day deal. I drink coffee and water, eat a little jerky or some cheese and crackers. I love it.    :coffee:   :archer2:  

In a blind or tree stand....No. It's hard enough to retain the cup I had when I got up. I don't want to have to disturb my setup with a potty break.   :nono:
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
I drink it straight from the little thermous - no need for the whole pour it into a cup and all - just tip her back and take a sip.  If a deer strolls in I set it down into the top of my pack that is hanging right there.  Never had a problem.

Bob Urban

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
Since Nissan bought Thermos, they've had the best bottles by far - as someone said, heat them up with hot water for 5 or 10 minutes before you put the coffee in and it'll stay hot into mid-afternoon - or for those of us who drink it like like it was about to be outlawed, at least 'til mid-morning.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
It's funny this thread showed up because about a week ago I took coffee out to the blind with me for the first time.  I wouldn't take it up in a tree stand but a ground blind is fine.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I got home and told my wife how I didn't see a single deer but it was one of the most enjoyable relaxing hunts I have ever had , sipping on my coffee.  I have a stanley thermos that works great.  I have found that if you put some boiling hot water in the thermos for a few minutes before you put your coffee or hot chocolate in it, it will stay hot alot longer.
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©