3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coffee on stand/blind  (Read 987 times)

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coffee on stand/blind
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
Always take my Nissan bottle with me.  By far the best thermos bottle out there.  In fact I have all three sizes.  16, 27 and 34 oz.  Usually the 16 oz on the stand.  Doesn't take up hardly any room in my pack and as others have stated, there is nothing better to warm you up than a sweet cake and a cup of coffee. Never had a deer spook that I know of from the smell and I have killed several deer while drinking it.  

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
I love taking a cup in my camo travel mug with me especially for a morning hunt.

The problem is about an hour later it needs to come back out of me.If I plan to sit for a long time or all day I'll have a cup before leaving out and drink water the rest of the time.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
I always have a cup of coffee in the morning at home. When I do a all day ground blind stand I bring a Esbit tablet stove, cup, tea bags, and a Cup of Soup for lunch to keep me going.

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
I always take a thermos of coffee with me in the morning, along with snacks. I use the hot water trick also prior to filling up, it stays hot for 6-8 hours. I figure I'm out there to have fun, might as well completely enjoy it.

Offline SOLDIERII

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
down wind guess it would not matter
SoldierII

Offline Grabwad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
I'm the opposite, I'll have a bottle of water in my bag but rarely drink while on the stand.  I don't do anything but look for deer, BUT I'm not a coffee drinker AND it rarely get below freezing down here!

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
Sure have and smoked a cigar or two before in the stand.
USMC 82-86

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
Man has this thread taken off in a short time.   :D

Offline Kevin Lawler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
Love it on stand. If you take Oreos and dunk them in hot coffee they taste like German Chocolate cake.

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
I take a stanley thermos in my backpack.  I removed the metal handle hinges and replaced them with zip ties, as those handle hinges made a helluva lotta noise.
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline DBinAlamo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
Im going to have to try a Nissan thermos, Im glad Im not alone with my coffee junkieism  :coffee:
A&H ACS 64" 50#@28" 3DH Riser.
Strive for excellence....  Not perfection.
"If your not working hard, someone else is" Dentler.

Offline Downsouth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
Got busted by a doe this fall through the window of my blind while taking a sip! I was just like a deer caught in the headlights, everything stopped for a second, then we both let out a snort and she took off  :)

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
I never drank coffee or ate in a stand until two years ago. I got a small bullet thermos for cabelas with a green rubberized out side and I got a camo case on a shoulder sling at a garage sale. They both have gone with me on every morning stand since. Usually have a cup at 8 am and another at 10, wish I'd always done this.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline levibear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
Oh yes coffee and my traditional tomato soup with little smokie sauages in it....Standard stanley thermous. At my age I like my creature comforts.  :coffee:
Never trade time for money, cause when your out of time money don't matter

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2010, 07:09:00 AM »
As far as coffee obsession goes I like to take it to the next level and I buy Green coffee beans from Sweet marias website and have a small home roaster.  I roast all my own coffee and yes, there is a difference.  The reason coffee tastes bitter is because it is stale and coffee starts becoming stale in days after the beans are roasted - in hours after they are ground.  If you do not know the roast date you are most likely drinking stale coffee and if the beans you are grinding ar oily(have a greasy shine)they are burnt - this preserves flavor longer but is not the best flavor by far that the bean could offer.  Also, there are some great coffees from all around the world and most are surprised how many great flavor profiles come out of a great cup of coffee.  My favorites are Central American coffees for the chocolate overtones but lately I am into African beans that have a very bright, fruity profile.  Fresh roasted coffees are very much like good wine and every bean and every year can offer different profiles with some better than others.  The only big difference is time - coffee does not get better with time like many wines do.  
Bow hunting and great coffee - not much better in my world!
Bob Urban

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2010, 07:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kevin Lawler:
Love it on stand. If you take Oreos and dunk them in hot coffee they taste like German Chocolate cake.
Darn you!  That is a fantastic idea.

:D

Originally posted by levibear:
Oh yes coffee and my traditional tomato soup with little smokie sauages in it....Standard stanley thermous. At my age I like my creature comforts.   :coffee:  
My dad was telling me he used to take (not hunting but meh) a thermos of tomato soup with a couple of hot dogs in it.  By the time he was ready to eat, the dogs were ready plus he still had some hot soup.  Brilliant!

Offline J.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
I pretty much always take coffee with me if its cold out. I use a regular old Stanley thermos and it works great. The movement can be a problem, especially if you forget to move really slow. I don't think the smell is an issue. I always figured if the wind was such that they could smell the coffee, then they could smell me so it didn't really matter.
Life is hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
I replaced the clunky handle on my thermos with Para-cord to make it quiet. I also have one for soup that I put a few hotdogs in and top off with chicken noodle. Makes a nice hot filling lunch.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
Only problem is if I drink too much coffee, I'll be needing some sort of catheter system.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline KumaSan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
Always love to have coffee with me, but need to get a 16 oz bottle. The 32 oz bottle gets cold once it's opened.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©