3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lighted nock users..  (Read 465 times)

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lighted nock users..
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2010, 04:31:00 PM »
I love shooting them during the summer.  It is so neat to let loose a LONG range shot out roving.  Also an excellent tuning aid--you can really see any little wobble.  HAve not ever hunted with them though.  If I am blessed with a P&Y/Compton qualifying animal, I'm still at the point where I like to enter them.

Offline Grabwad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
Trad- man

Don't have a white rabbit here.
The reason some put rabbit fur is the same reason I'm looking for a light.  I'm not looking to put a bunch of crap on my arrows or bow BUT if it helps me with one deer it will be worth the frowns I may get from some trad bowshooters!  
Don't mean this to come across wrong or abrasive.  I just want it to help my hunting.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
wish we could use them around here.nothing battery powered allowed.stinks...trad-man....lighted nocks are very useful,even at 170fps you can lose your arrow on release and not see where it goes or even if it hit the animal.a lighted nock is good because of the simple fact that it allows you to see where you hit.understand though that if your arrow kicks on impact it will give you false info possibly.i dont use them as they arent allowed here but have had times when they would have helped out a lot on shots i just lost track of in flight.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »
I have found them to be very good when shooting during legal light out of a Double Bull blind where it seems darker than  it really is. Not all low light shooting situations are illegal and even though I have always used white or chartreuse feathers not every shot is absolutely clear visually. Lighted nocks don't do anything but give you very useful information that you may not otherwise have available. I think it is silly that they are illegal in some states and that PY doesn't recognize them.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Online jrstegner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
They are awesome for tuning. I use them sometimes for practice too, but not when I am hunting. I have never entered an animal in Pope and Young, and I probably won't, but last time I checked using lighted nocks would disqualify the animal. That is something to consider if you are hunting a world class animal.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »
I like them a lot, especially since I do much of my practice shooting in the back yard at night, work and family takes a lot of time up. With the flood light on I can see well enough to shoot and the lighted nock lets my mind ingrain the trajectory and point of impact. My young son also likes the cool factor of the glowing nock racing to the target, anything to get the kids hooked. Also as mentioned a very nice tuning aid when shooting at dusk. Don't plan to enter the P&Y deer I have been fortunate enough to harvest so no worries here about that.

There have been a couple occasions when the lighted nock made tracking the animal a little simpler, like following the exit path of the animal if a pass thru was not obtained. Or finding the glowing nock with arrow in the animal from a distance while trailing. In the thick stuff we hunt is had been helpful.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Taiga Recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
They are not allolwed in ND either.
You are not allowed to enter a deer into the Pope and Young book if shot by an arrow with a lighted nock.

By the use of electronic devices for attracting, locating or pursuing game or guiding the hunter to such game, or by the use of a bow or arrow to which any electronic device is attached.

I truly feel that the use of lighted nocks allows some to feel they can take longer shots in less desirable lighted situation.

just my .02
"Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye.
Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark!"

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
Yiaga, yes there will always be those that push the envelope, human nature. Composite 'trad' bows, sights etc also may do the same, but I am getting off topic, sorry.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Grabwad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
I really don't care about getting a deer in the book as much as getting him in my boat!  LOL

I was lucky enough to take a fine buck this year and IMO it wouldn't have been any less of an accomplishment If I had used a lighted nock.  It sure would have helped right after the shot tho!!!!

Offline Cromm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
I have a set and they work well. But I only use them to shoot out across fields at dusk. It looks so pretty.

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
I use them because I can not do my tracking from on top an ATV ( I am not able to walk ) so my son who is "color blind" does the tracking. Only deer I have shot scince my accident went about seventy yards,we started on the direction it went at about fifty yards I spotted nock and thats where the deer lay.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
have not used them but can see the merit. Locating the arrow after the shot. Over the years I have lost probably a half dozen arrows that I shot game with.

A perfect example was a hunt I was filming in Africa in 07' the arrow made a complete pass through but apparently nicked a rib or something on exit and the arrow went up and actually lodged in a near by bush. I am certain that we would have never located this arrow had it not been for the lighted nock.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline MicArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
Nockturnal's are great!

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
I'm not a fan of them. I've seen too many deer walking around in the neighborhoods at night looking like Rudolph.

Too many people get caught up in the gadgets of hunting instead of just practicing and only attempting ethical shots.

Offline Grabwad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by JDinPA:
I'm not a fan of them. I've seen too many deer walking around in the neighborhoods at night looking like Rudolph.

Too many people get caught up in the gadgets of hunting instead of just practicing and only attempting ethical shots.
Sorry to disagree but nocks have nothing to do with making an "ethical shot".

Offline BrianfromTulsa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
I've got to say that watching where your arrow flies and being able to find your arrow after the shot have nothing to do with extending your shooting ability after dark.  These nocks are nothing more than arrow tracking devices and are really helpful in a hunting situation.

I use them and love them.

Brian

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
I would love to try them, do they make one for wood arrows or for AD Hammerheads?  Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline House

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
Idaho is another no no state for lighted nocks.  I find them interesting, but have no experiece with them.

To each his own.

Travis
"Dad I think maybe sometimes you think too much" after an errant shot stump shooting with Cameron, my 5 year old son.

TGMM Family of the Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Trad-Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
Well for me...if I just wanted to kill a deer I'd go back to the wheel bow with all the gadgets or get my sniper rifle out and have at it.

Killing a stupid deer isn't all that hard to do.  Aquiring and implementing the skills to be able to kill a deer with as little technology as possible is where the challenge is for me.  That includes the shooting and tracking part as well.

Have a great Christmas everybody...

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
i love them!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©