3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting in the snow  (Read 413 times)

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting in the snow
« on: December 09, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
We get spoiled hunting the early season and the temps stay above 40. Now gun season is gone ( thank god thats over) and I can get back to my stands and its low 20's and snow. I talked myself into going to my stand yesterday afternoon and man that snow is awesome you can see deer movement so much clearer in the snow. Not only tracks but actually seeing the deer in the woods before they are right on top of you. It's amazing how you dont get cold when you can actually see deer.
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting in the snow
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
Hunting in the snow has always been my favorite no matter what weapon I'm carrying.  I love to track deer and bear in the snow.  To me following and observing the tracks is like reading a book, if you really pay attention you can learn a lot and you will become a better hunter with each outing.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
I love it.  Killed a deer in the snow last year. First one I ever killed in the snow, but we don't get just a whole lot of snow in AR.  I had wanted to kill one in the snow so I could track it by myself (I am color blind), but the critter died just feet from where I shot it.  No tracking, but I could see the blood!  :thumbsup:
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
Hunting in the snow is soooooo cool. Can't wait to get back in The Catskills again for some late season archery action! And yes... It's gonna be COLD! But we do what it takes. Right? Right!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline lovethehunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
In Michigan we get a chance to hunt in the snow most every year. I love it. The late bow season is my favorite time. The late season open Dec. 1, I have been out 4 times now and seen 2 bucks already, one a biggie! The snow has helped me learn deer behavior and what they really do.

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
I was planning on going this week-end, but my area got dumped on...4 feet of fresh snow. How do you hunt in that! How can deer survive with that amount of snow? I imagine trails would be pretty darn easy to locate!

Offline Fischman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
Send some snow our way ! Its so dry here in SW Nebraska, gonna be in the 50's today! So hard to spot and stalk mule deer when everything is as dry as tinder! Ya I agree hunting in the snow is as good as it gets, hope to get some before the end of season.
YOU HAVE TO STAND FOR SOMETHING OR YOU'LL FALL FOR ANYTHING !!!

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »
Southernmost IL may get some on Saturday.  Dont know if I'll go out yet.  Need to see what the temps will be.

Grew up hunting in it back east.  It was the way we hunted.  Seemed pretty cool then, as a kid.  Now I am a bit more picky...  Its an age thing.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
yesterday eve's hunt.  Was a perfect night to sit  
Make a life, not a living

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
Love hunting in the snow.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »
Seems we used to get alot more snow than the past 10 yrs. I miss it. Now the ice is a little different story. Nice deer!....Phil

Offline coachA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »
I have been hunting for 20 years and have yet to hunt in the snow. There is something about the climate in Alabama, it rarely gets cold before Febuary. All of the snow we do have is usually way after hunting season. Maybe one day I will be able to hunt in the snow.

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
We've been getting merciless lake effect snow for a week, 4-5" a day----about 16" on the ground at this point> Can't wait for the weekend to get out there!

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 04:10:00 PM »
nothing better than snowy silence

Offline bendbig

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
Can't wait for this weekend we are supposed to get some snow here in N.Ky.
Glenn
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me, Gen 27:3

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »
Love the snow. Send some of it down here.

Earl

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
Love the snow.Easy to spot em and easy to track em
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
The snow is great and it is easy to spot deer movement, but lately the wind is out of the NW and very strong! we have  maybe 2inches on the ground so the temps feel much colder! Chill factor today was in single digits and there has been very little fresh sign since the high winds started over the weekend! In fact I have not seen any fresh tracks since last Saturday! Its like the deer have just vanished!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 10:59:00 PM »
Well we have plenty of the white stuff here, planning to head out this weekend if I don't end up at work.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 11:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by bornagainbowhunter:
I love it.  Killed a deer in the snow last year. First one I ever killed in the snow, but we don't get just a whole lot of snow in AR.  I had wanted to kill one in the snow so I could track it by myself (I am color blind), but the critter died just feet from where I shot it.  No tracking, but I could see the blood!      :thumbsup:    
You have got to be kidding about not much snow  in Arkansas?  Last year we had tons of snow here in Beebe.  It was so deep I couldn't get a good shot on this one.  I had to sit up in that tree and watch him causually feed away.     :banghead:      

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc157/pactac/snowbuck1_opt.jpg
To Big Please Re-size
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©