3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lets see your 2006 in Review.  (Read 5274 times)

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
Lets see your 2006 in Review.
« on: January 10, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
Hi all here on the Gang.

Well I was just sitting back the other day thinking about the year that was 2006. I hunted more than I thought I would, made more arrows than I planned to do and worked to much away from home than I expected.

I have already made plans on hunting New Zealand for 10 days in March and maybe a Desert camel hunt with my mate Ben later on in the year if we can both swing the time off.

Lets see what you did in 2006, be it making your first bow, splicing up some feathers, learning to foot arrows or your first Traditional animal on the ground.

Here's a few from my year...

Did some Broadhead collecting....

Had some knives rehandled for me and my Son...

Did some Chital hunting...

Made some arrows for a close friend that was in need..

And hosted some fine Gentleman from Montana...

I could post more but I'd thought I let others show there 2006.

al
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lets see your 2006 in Review.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 08:12:00 PM »
Sounds like you had a great year. By the way...those are some fine looking blades and arrows

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »
looks like youve been busy Aussie!! This was my first year hunting trad. So 06 brought lots of first for me. First deer with trad, first bobcat, first squirrel with trad, first cottontail with trad, first jackrabbit with trad, first hog with trad (and bamboo arra), and my first duck with trad. Wow it was a great year when you put it like that. lol.
Heres a few pics.
Kyle

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 11:47:00 PM »
Al, are those the broadheads you intend to whack through a camel?...I think we need to talk about broadheads and penetration! No, seriously, they look very interesting. What's the story with them?

For me, 2006 was the year I got my first kills with longbows, and busted my jinx on feral goats and pigs.

Cheers, Ben

PS - Looking at that chital stag gives me an urge to meander over that way and have a go! What a magnificent animal!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline BrianC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 01:01:00 AM »
Kyle looks like you had an awesome year.  I'm gonna give trad archery a go this year.  I'm very intersted in the particulars on your bobcat and duck harvests.  Is there a story about them somewhere I could find using the search function?

Thanks,
Brian
"Leave it better than you found it"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 05:34:00 AM »
I was blessed with some great hunts shared with even better people in '06...

Once again being a part of the JLMBH at Shawns...

First 3D shoot my son,dad ,and I attended together...

Turkey in May...

My javalina on the mod hunt in TX....

Winning the Muzzy.....

more coming....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 05:42:00 AM »
Hunt in MT shared with Peter I ,and KS Trapper....

My boys first bloodtrail,shared with dad again...

and a great November morning.....

Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 06:05:00 AM »
What a year Guru! Well done on the yote too mate.

al
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
Must be more folks on here with a 2006 story to tell?

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 01:03:00 AM »
I've got to say, I don't think I've ever had a season with so many firsts. I suppose it started with an evening of bowfishing in South Texas with Cutis Kellar and Charlie Lamb. In a few hours I connected on my first shad, spotted gar and mullet (not the Billy Ray Cyrus type).

At some point during the night I spotted a head out of the water to my right and swung toward it, starting to draw. That's when I noticed it was a gator swimming next to the boat...my first live gator sighting. A little while later Curtis decided I needed a closer look at one. After a few photos we released the gator unharmed.

That night we'd gone out to find alligator gar, which were being extremely elusive. So we decided to burn the next evening hog hunting by moonlight. At about a quarter after eleven I took my first wild hog, which we recovered the next morning.

Of course, we took some time out for a little stump shooting around Curtis' property. The snakes were kind enough to stay the heck away from us too. Then again, maybe they just knew Charlie had a bow in his hand and decided to play it safe.

A couple months later, good friend and hunting partner Dave Shumway and I headed to Canada to hunt moose and whatever else was in season. He'd been up there several times before, but this was my first trip to Northwest Ontario. What a beautiful area. I could have spend the entire two weeks just looking through the viewfinder of my camera, but there were animals to get after.

A couple days into the hunt I connected on my first ruffed grouse....

...which was followed up by my first spruce grouse.

It didn't take too long before I came across my first bear and wolf tracks.

About a week into the hunt I had my first up close encounter with a pair of bear cubs. My guide and I were standing on a minnow trapper's trail when the little fuzzballs came busting through the bush right up to us. No pictures though. We didn't know where the sow was and figured it best to get out of the area before she decided to introduce herself.

Maybe a week and a half into the hunt a bull I'd passed up a marginal shot on 5 days earlier offered his broadside chest at ten yards. I sent my arrow through both his lungs. 89 yards later I walked up and hung my tag on my first bull moose.

Ted Peters, my guide, is holding his homemade call...a steel bean can with a shoestring in the bottom. Watching him use that can to bring the bull in was something I'll never forget.

Over the next few months I managed to put some venison in the freezer and even made a few attempts at goose hunting with a bow. I never so much as drew on one of those birds, but I'm definately making plans to add that to my list of firsts for the next season. If nothing else, it'll sure be fun trying.

Offline LazerRay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 02:08:00 AM »
NIce
Contempt prior to investigation leads to everlasting ignorance!
William James

Offline Tuttu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 05:11:00 AM »
Great thread, and I love looking at fellow bowhunters pictures.  Here's a little taste of my 2006 season.  
I had a great time in Idaho last spring.  I arrow my first color phase bear.

I went goat hunting with my father in law.  It was a blast.

Did my first solo sheep hunt.  Had some knee problems and had to bag out early.  I arrowed this bull by my camp though.

Chased moose all over Alaska.  

For 2007, I'm going on my Kodiak brown bear hunt in April, and I hope to get my knee worked on this summer.
Chuck

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 06:35:00 AM »
Unfortunately I didn't have the oppertunity to make a traditional kill this year. However I did get to spend some quality time in the woods with my friends and my family.  I got to know more members here which is a blessing in itself, and increased my knowledge of archery through the generous offering of knowledge by all who participate on this site.

Although there were no kills, I celebrated a new life this year.

I can only pray that 2007 will be just as good or better for my family, and yours as well.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »
This is a great idea for a thread!!! I am enjoying all these posts, hopefully they keep coming.
     My 2006 started out with my 1st turkey with my recurve. Stalked up on a group of Toms fighting, got within 60yds and voice called them in to 10 yds for the shot!!!

My next 1st in 2006 invloved drawing a SD archery elk tag. I was lucky enough to get to hunt for 20 days and finally took my 1st bull elk with my recurve!!!

In December I made a bow trade with Wango from this site. The Hoyt Gamemaster I traded for came on my birthday. I took the bow out that day and shot a juicy little spike who had screwed up my hunt the week before.

I also shot 2 other deer with my Robertson in 2006 but do not have pics of those deer --- all in all a very good year!!!
    2007 seems to be starting out with a lot of promise. Here is a picture of the 1st arrow I shot at game in 2007. The deer is now in my freezer!

Thanks to those who have posted already. Hopefully this thread will get a lot more posts!!!   Dan
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 01:50:00 PM »
First  season Trad bow
Miss
Miss
Miss
miss
miss

But had alot of fun with all those misses LEAST I DIDNT HAVE TO DRAG!!!!!
TEAM HILLBILLY

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 02:03:00 PM »
Guru, fantastic photography my friend!! Im kind of a picture buff. Eats me up that i cant get anyone to take decent pics of me with my kills. Guess im gonna have to start using the self timer. lol
Kyle

Offline yleecoyote23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »
Here's my biggest trophy of the season!!

Got to hang out with some great guys thru the year, heres a bunch of 'Gangers at a hog hunt (BamaStan got a nice hog) and I got a rabbit with my Habu on this trip...

Then I got to use BamaStan's "Mr Clean" selfbow for a while and got a few ctitters....

In the beautiful Davis Mountains and lovin' every minute - Danny

Offline yleecoyote23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 03:10:00 PM »
In June, I got to hang out with "Faith" for a couple of weeks, took her to the Mountains and chased a few varmints...

Even got a little bowfishing in....

Then I put my Habu to work in Dec.....

Last week of deer season, my Mentor saw a little action...

Had a great year!! Hope this one is even better!!! I sure look forward to meeting even more of you and sharing stories and maybe even a hunt or two!!!
In the beautiful Davis Mountains and lovin' every minute - Danny

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 03:27:00 PM »
Now this is a cool thread! Keep 'em coming!

Kevin.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline TBone07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »
WOW! Holy cow guys, you all had a great year! I'm really impressed with all your trophies and great photography work! 2006 was good to me as well. I started shooting Trad last March so it was hard for me to kill a turkey in April with it but I tried and never got a shot. Oh well, the summer months were great though. I won several 3-D shoots and really got pretty accurate with my equipment.
I even got my girlfriend, Molly into it...

When October came around I was really busy with Football and couldn't make it out enough to get shots at anything close. My team ended up going to the State Quarterfinals though so it wasn't all bad, plus I was the captain of the defense at linebacker so that was good. Finally after weeks of not connecting on anything the archery God's shined down and I was fortunate enough to arrow this nice buck. The story is in an old forum titled "What a Buck!" It was the greatest day of my life!

I also took a shot at my first Racoon and connected!

Man what a year. Although I didn't harvest a lot, I had a blast while I was doing it. I can't wait to try and get a gobbler with my bow this spring. A special thanks goes out to the guys who helped me get started and giving me the Traditional Archery sickness, I feel great! Thank you all for sharing your stories with me and being such a class act of guys. Your stories and pictures inspire me. Good luck in 2007! -Nate

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©